Home Main Category General Firearms

Parker Hale Mauser!

2

Replies

  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Weatherby said:
    what can I say?......that's my king of deal.
    I'd be scoping though.....with an old classic one
    There is a weaver k4 with a German post retical on a consignment gun there that they just won’t let me have the scope off of! You believe that! The nerve....🤣

    sounds like you need to talk to the consignee to me.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    WOW, whatever you are doing to receive that measure of kindness, keep doing it, that is a good deal, I like that stock too. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,727 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    WOW, whatever you are doing to receive that measure of kindness, keep doing it, that is a good deal, I like that stock too. 
    It would be a GREAT stock if it was set up the the right (left) way.... B)
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    WOW, whatever you are doing to receive that measure of kindness, keep doing it, that is a good deal, I like that stock too. 
    I help them with the occasional customer if they get busy, and answer the phone when the guys are tied up. I’ve mounted scopes and cleaned guns for them too. They get a little  free help, I get deals. A symbiotic relationship 😉
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Pretty nice! Thanks!
    LORD you SUCK!!!  Welcome to the Mauser rescue club 😎
    when do I get my shirt?
    Weatherby said:
    Elk creek said:
    Weatherby said:
    what can I say?......that's my king of deal.
    I'd be scoping though.....with an old classic one
    There is a weaver k4 with a German post retical on a consignment gun there that they just won’t let me have the scope off of! You believe that! The nerve....🤣

    sounds like you need to talk to the consignee to me.
    Would love to! 

    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #39

    Introduced in 1965.



     Page 21 in my 1968 Gun Catalogue.

    Yours looks like the Standard Safari 1,000c, clip loading.

     

    A Sliding Side Safety was introduced on that model in the 1970 improved action.


    To accurately date a P-H rifle one needs to look for and decipher the "Private View Mark" from the Birmingham Proof house. This mark which is in several forms, the most common, being a pair of crossed lances with letters at 9 & 3 o'clock with a numerial below.

    Your  9 o'clock marking should be from a Q through to a U, (1965 to 1969) I think.

    I hope you can make heads or tails of that.





  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #40
    Great info Shush! Thank you. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Dang, you guys hate white spacers don't ya?

    Guess you hate Oreo cookies too...................doesn't bother me one way or the other, if a rifle came with them OK and if not, that's OK too.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Dang, you guys hate white spacers don't ya?

    Guess you hate Oreo cookies too...................doesn't bother me one way or the other, if a rifle came with them OK and if not, that's OK too.
    You always come across as being a "White Spacers" kind of guy, say'in.


  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #43
    Why are they put there anyhow? To gussie up the rifle besides as a
    way to add length/LOP to a rifle?  
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #44
    I guess some of you didn't like Whietwall Tires/Tyres either!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #45
    Big Chief said:
    Why are they put there anyhow? To gussie up the rifle besides as a
    way to add length/LOP to a rifle?  
    Does it "gussie up" this .404 thumper?


    Page 37 in my 1970 Gun Catalogue.

    Maybe?
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Now that rifle looks classy from muzzle to butt no matter how you look at it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    My time machine has room for two, you coming.

  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Man, wish I could travel back in time to a 'Golden Age" of firearms with about $10,000 of that times dollars and go on a shopping spree and bring them back to the future with me!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

    When Parker-Hale went belly-up they had thousands of unfinished receiver forgings in stock.  I've been buying them up at an average price of 30 bucks apiece, and finish-machining them.  Since an  unfinished receiver is a "non-gun", there's no paper trail!  Old Western Scrounger and SARCO were selling them for $29.95 apiece, or less if the buyer made a bulk order.  I think I've got a dozen or more of them pigeonholed away.  The finished receivers do require heat treating, but I also happen to have a big ceramic kiln that should accomplish that task pretty well!  Some of the receivers use 98 Mauser bolts, and others are set up for 03 Springfield bolts.

    Jerry

      

  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #50
    Big Chief said:
    Man, wish I could travel back in time to a 'Golden Age" of firearms with about $10,000 of that times dollars and go on a shopping spree and bring them back to the future with me!
    Make that £10,000 and we will collect a few of these each also;



  • TugarTugar Senior Member Posts: 2,221 Senior Member
    That's a definite YOU SUCK. My eyesight is getting worse. I think you should peep sight it and then let me shoot it for while. :D
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
    Winston Churchill
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Thanks guys! It’s foing to be a fun project. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Man, that thing with irons? Irons are for .30-30s and 44s,  on that thing it wil be like a Corvette with a six banger. It's meant for a nice scope from 3-9. to 4-12. One of the beauties of a .30-06 is it has all normal ranges covered, from 25 yards to 400. Why limit yourself? Yeah it will look cool with a rear tang sight, but if it's me I know damn well I would be hunting with it and a 300 yard shot at a trophy would present itself. Besides, if you go elk hunting you know many shots can be well over 100 yards.

    OK your call. But the bolt release assembly is also the ejector. You can get that from Gun Parts or any number of old gun part suppliers. And if you don't fix it it will fail you at a bad time. They're cheap and if you know a good gun smith he probably has a good used one he'll give you for $10-$20.

    Anyway I'm jealous. Beautiful rifle and you SUCK!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Man, that thing with irons? Irons are for .30-30s and 44s,  on that thing it wil be like a Corvette with a six banger. It's meant for a nice scope from 3-9. to 4-12. One of the beauties of a .30-06 is it has all normal ranges covered, from 25 yards to 400. Why limit yourself? Yeah it will look cool with a rear tang sight, but if it's me I know damn well I would be hunting with it and a 300 yard shot at a trophy would present itself. Besides, if you go elk hunting you know many shots can be well over 100 yards.

    OK your call. But the bolt release assembly is also the ejector. You can get that from Gun Parts or any number of old gun part suppliers. And if you don't fix it it will fail you at a bad time. They're cheap and if you know a good gun smith he probably has a good used one he'll give you for $10-$20.

    Anyway I'm jealous. Beautiful rifle and you SUCK!!!
    Yea, I have an orphan ziess 3-9 on my “shelf of stuff” that may have to put to use.......
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #55
    Big Chief said:
    Dang, you guys hate white spacers don't ya?

    Guess you hate Oreo cookies too...................doesn't bother me one way or the other, if a rifle came with them OK and if not, that's OK too.
    Well, they look good on a... on a... on a... WWWEEEATHERby, There! I've said it. But they are at home on one. Not so much a model 70.






    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Way back when ornamentation would catch my eye more readily, I used to cut spacers out of bleach bottles. I thought they were so cool! I guess I lost that in my edumacational process.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    Nice score
    Being an ex colony and a landing ground for all things British there are alot of Parker Hales over here, none of them however in as good a nic as that for that price, well done.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    Nice score
    Being an ex colony and a landing ground for all things British there are alot of Parker Hales over here, none of them however in as good a nic as that for that price, well done.
    Thanks! I’m sure there are fun things that we can’t gwt our hands on there..... a martini cadet action or 10 would be good!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    Martini actions are available here with boring regularity.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    Martini actions are available here with boring regularity.
    Not so much here. They are here but not very common. A pile of them were imported in the past but now you just don’t see them. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    Nice Mauser; with the size of the elks I saw roaming around in CO, you'll be pretty well equipped for a hunt.
    That's the brand/action most of us grew with over here; you won't be disappointed!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement