Whatcha gonna use?

RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 75 Member
If you guys are anything like me, during the off season, ya sit around and try to decide what gun you're gonna use on each critter in the upcoming hunting season.  Should I use this, for that, or switch it up and use something else?  I go back and forth several times over the course of the summer till I get it JUUUUUUST RIIIIIGHT.  Then, somehow, I change my mind again the night before the season starts.  Happens all the time.  

So what are ya gonna use this next fall?  So far, I know I have to use the flintlock for my deer tag, and that's the only one set in stone.  It's a muzzleloader tag, and that's the only muzzleloader I have!  But the rest looks like this... for now:

Bull and cow elk  --  .284 XP100
Buck antelope  --  AR in 6.5 Grendel
Bear  --  Springfield TRP in 10mm

See how many times this changes between now and September.    
Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,750 Senior Member
    My new 300BO will be first, then my newly suppressed 223 will be the first two

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,618 Senior Member
    Guns that need to be used:
    .50 BMG
    .480 Ruger SBH Bisley
    .358 Win Encore Pistol
    .44 Mag Contender Pistol
    .44 Mag Ruger SBH 3-Screw
    .280 Rem Encore Pistol
    .338 WM Rem 700

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,924 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    My new 300BO will be first, then my newly suppressed 223 will be the first two

Did you youtube that video of the 223?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,305 Senior Member
    Right NOW: 
    7-08 for deer. It’s fixing to go under the knife for a make over. 
    Recurve bow for deer. 
    Muzzle loading pistol for deer. 

This could however change by the end of the day. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    If you do the muzzie on deer, range report would be appreciated!

zorba said:
    Only video I'm aware of was me shooting Terminator012's 10/22.
    Yes, I youtubed it.
    No clue what 223 video you're referencing
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    edited June 8 #8
    For deer I have several possibilities from .250 Savage up to .9.3x62. But seeing as I just picked up my .new to me 7x57 on a commercial  Mauser action, that's probably going to be first off for this season.

Then who knows? I really love my .250 Savage. While it's no light weight, it's accurate and sweet to shoot and out to as far as I'll shoot at deer, it's plenty deadly with 115 grain bullets. I've already killed several deer with the .257 AI, but only one with the .250.

Then the old .280 could use a walk in the park too. So who knows? There's still more horses in the stable.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    knitepoet said:
    zorba said:
    Only video I'm aware of was me shooting Terminator012's 10/22.
    Yes, I youtubed it.
    No clue what 223 video you're referencing
    'Cause I'm confusing myself. I'm actually attempting to talk about the suppressed rifle you made the video with...

• RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 75 Member
    snake284 said:
    Then the old .280 could use a walk in the park too. So who knows? There's still more horses in the stable.
    The .280 is one of my dads favorites.  Someday, when he's done with that rifle, I'll use it myself just for old time's sake. 
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
    Zee said:
    .50 BMG
    .480 Ruger SBH Bisley
    .358 Win Encore Pistol
    .44 Mag Contender Pistol
    .280 Rem Encore Pistol
    .338 WM Rem 700

I think you should use them in that order, except move the .338 up to second.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,955 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    .50 BMG
    .480 Ruger SBH Bisley
    .358 Win Encore Pistol
    .44 Mag Contender Pistol
    .280 Rem Encore Pistol
    .338 WM Rem 700

Please tell me that this is a SP.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Zee said:
    .50 BMG
    .480 Ruger SBH Bisley
    .358 Win Encore Pistol
    .44 Mag Contender Pistol
    .280 Rem Encore Pistol
    .338 WM Rem 700

I think you should use them in that order, except move the .338 up to second.
    I’d like to find a suitable pig for the .338 WM as I’ll be testing the 225gr Speer Deep Curl bullets and I’d like a harder target than a deer. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,126 Senior Member
    Since I only put in for and drew a deer tag, my selection will be narrowed down to 3 cartridges. First priority is my TC Encore handgun in 454 Casull, 240 grain Hornady XTP Mags. If I need a little more distance, I’m planning to having the 308 Win AR ready to go by then. Load work will happen when I build the gun next month. Last choice will be 243 Win using 105 Amax bullets. I hear they’re for target shooting. But I consider deer targets too and know a guy who’s done pretty well with them. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,363 Senior Member
    only ones I KNOW I will be taking out is the Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor and the Henry .45-70

After that, it will probably be a mix of different 'old standards'
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    After making sure I "approve" of the BO performance, before letting grandson hunt with it I MIGHT throw a SP in the mix. I've actually never killed a whitetail with any handgun. Though 3 Axis have fallen to my 7mm IHMSA XP.

MIGHT even see about getting a load sighted in in my 45-70 Contender. See if it flattens deer as well as my 50 Beowulf dies

edited June 9 #17
    knitepoet said:
    ...Though 3 Axis have fallen to my 7mm IHMSA XP.
    I'm sure it probably isn't, but that wouldn't be a 7mm Rem Mag by chance, would it???  I know nothing about IHMSA.
    I got my flintlock fix met for a while over the past couple of seasons between my mule deer, turkey and bear in their respective season.  So, the coming deer seasons will probably see me try to blood a few modern guns that need blooding:

.375 H&H custom Rem 700

.300 Win Mag Tikka T3

.30-30 Win Marlin lever rifle

Two of the three and serious overkill for any deer, but they need to get out of the safe and be productive.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,595 Senior Member
    44 Mag Ruger SBH 3-Screw

Low on the list..............Epic Fail
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,169 Senior Member

The only critter I expect to hunt this year is deer.  I decided some time ago that I need to bloody my .358, so it has already got the nod.  I'll probably bring along my 7mag as a back up.

If I get a chance to hunt upland birds, I guess I'll use my Remington Express chambered in 12 gauge.

If I get a chance at hogs, I might try my .223, but don't know that I'll get the opportunity.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I'm sure it probably isn't, but that wouldn't be a 7mm Rem Mag by chance, would it???  I know nothing about IHMSA.
    No, the 7mm IHMSA is a wildcat from about the same time the 7-08 was still one. Technically, it's a 300 savage necked down, the shoulder moved back and most of the body taper blown out.

In reality, I've found necking UP 250 Sav cases works better in MY barrel. (Saves me from having to turn the necks)

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,246 Senior Member
    No, I do not think about it; I just use what I have with me at the time.
    This message has been deleted
    Thanks Knitepoet.  I thought IHMSA was some sort of shooting dicipline. HA!!
    Thanks Knitepoet.  I thought IHMSA was some sort of shooting dicipline. HA!!
    It is
    International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,502 Senior Member
    Dont have an off season over here so every day of the year is 'choice' day I guess. :)

When I choose, its normally a spur of the moment decision based on my mood, the type of deer, the location/terrain, what I had for breakfast, what the weather is doing.......and sometimes I even resort to a coin toss.  
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    Dont have an off season over here so every day of the year is 'choice' day I guess. :)

When I choose, its normally a spur of the moment decision based on my mood, the type of deer, the location/terrain, what I had for breakfast, what the weather is doing.......and sometimes I even resort to a coin toss.  
    Seems that way for me this year as well.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    After my neck surgery, I'm limited to my Remington 660 in .243 for everything I draw a tag for.
    Biggest elk I’ve ever seen on the hoof was felled with a running shot to the neck with a .243 winchester. 

Put it it in the right place........fill the freezer. 
    ^^Yup.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,297 Senior Member

That's easy. I'll be using my Remington 700 in 7mm08 with factory 140gr Fusions for just about anything that may come up, with my Remington 700 .243 as a back up.

I'd also like to nail a deer with my AR, so if I hunt central TX this coming fall that might happen.

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,667 Senior Member
    Guns that need to be blooded:

1 Lyman GPR .54 flint
    2 Ruger SBH Hunter .44 magnum,  6 1/2"
    3 Remington model 600, 6mm Remington
    5 Ruger #1, .270
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO