Always bring a backup

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,372 Senior Member
...at least to training and matches.

Was at a 2hr training/ practice match with a nationally known pistol trainer on Monday when all of a sudden my 20 year old CZ-75B with probably over 30k rounds through it did not lock back after a string of fire.  Well, that was because this happened:

Well, crap.  What’s funny is the trainer said he had the exact same failure on a CZ-75B when he was deployed 20 years ago.

i did not have my normal backup For training with me, but I was testing out a new holster for the wife’s Kahr CW9... so I finished out the class with a hideout style DAO 7 round gun... with only one spare mag.  

I have have a new slide stop on the way
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,989 Senior Member
    Maybe have a gunsmith go through the rest of it at this time too. How did the training go with the Kahr? Were you happy with your accuracy?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,372 Senior Member
    Yes.  I was able to hit a 6” steel at 20 yards 5 out of 6 off hand. The trigger just is not as fast as a C&L or a Glockish trigger
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,435 Senior Member
    Had the same thing happen to me in a police academy final pistol qualification with a 1911. The slide stop broke inside the mag well. Once that peice is gone a slide stop will “walk out” of the frame. Well about 2 inches of high speed  tape taping it to the frame and I finish the qual.

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,989 Senior Member
    The more I shoot my k9, the more I like it, just have to find a somewhat better holster for it's heft compared to my J-Frame, I need to study my Kahr catalogue I just received a bit more, probably should have a CZ catalogue too:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,985 Senior Member
    What a piece of crap to break after only 30K rounds! I guess I better get rid of mine and get a Glock... :D
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    What a piece of crap to break after only 30K rounds! I guess I better get rid of mine and get a Glock... :D
    Smartest thing you've ever said.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,643 Senior Member
    Puts a damper on things. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,317 Senior Member
    Yes.  I was able to hit a 6” steel at 20 yards 5 out of 6 off hand. The trigger just is not as fast as a C&L or a Glockish trigger
    That's good shootn Tex!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,153 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #10
    Glad it is an easy fix. Guns are mechanical devices with moving parts and friction and sooner or later something is gonna break or get outta kilter or plum get wore out.

It is amazing how some can keep on working like they do as long as they do.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,772 Senior Member
    What's the old saying??? Something along the lines of, "Two is one, and one is none"

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,779 Senior Member
    Those parts take alot of redundant strain.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,118 Senior Member
    Damn poor timing for a failure but a lot better than if you had actually needed it for SD
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,435 Senior Member
    Damn poor timing for a failure but a lot better than if you had actually needed it for SD
    When my slide stop failed on my 1911 I didn’t realize it until the slide wouldn’t lock on an empty mag. I locked the slide back and kept on with quals. It was only when I placed my finger on the frame in a “low ready” the slide stop moved to flush with the frame! I pushed it back into place and kept going. Once we finished the stage. I called for the RO. We put some duct tape on it to keep it in and finished shooting the rear of the day. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,955 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    My precise sentiment!  Only 30K...ditch it and don't look back.

(seriously, that's a pretty healthy service cycle before a failure).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    I always bring backup guns to matches.  They may not have optics on them but you can shoot optics class with iron sights.  Most shooters will help you out with a gun or parts if they can.  Had a guy replace a trigger return spring on a glock for me once.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician