Your Top Three

2»

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 271 Member
    snake284 said:

You can take solace in the fact that it's mainly just this forum where the .270 is dispised and some of those dispisers I suspect have owned or own one but don't bring it up here. They'd rather just take shots at those of us brave enough to admit it. They either just keep them in the safe or they hunt with them and call them somethng else when discussing them here. I mean how you gonna know? LOL!
    And why would you change the barrel providing it was in good shape? Try it, you might like it.

And yeah, I think I would love a .270 Short Mag. It would spit out 150s as fast as my regular .270 will push 130s. Not that you need them for deer, but for Elk or other larger species I think it's definitely a winner.
    I assumed it was some kind of running gag that was mostly aimed at your expense based on casual observation.

The rifle was purchased as a donor for a project.  It just happened to be a .270 WSM.  I was going to use a Rem 700 as a donor, but finding a Rem 700 in a short magnum is not easy around here.  A Model 70 in a short magnum can be found from time to time, but no where near as cheap as a 700 can be found.  A Model 70 came up and just happened to be a .270.  Dont see too many .300 WSM rifles pop up.
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 6 #33
    .45 Colt in a Super Blackhawk revolver.
    Best cartridge I've ever hunted with, in a revolver anyway.  Load it light enough that an 8 year old can shoot it one handed, or load it hot enough that a grown man better use both hands.  Take anything from mice to moose.

500JRH in a Super Blackhawk revolver.
    Because I like to see things blow up.

460 S&W
    Yes, I know this is supposed to be top three for deer.  These last two choices are a bit much for deer, but hey, dead is dead.  My very first handgun big game critter was a buck with the 460 S&W XVR, so the 460 makes my top three because of sentimental value.  That gun has since been sent down the road, but it got me started in handgun hunting, and for that, I'm forever grateful.    
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,443 Senior Member
    No such thing as too dead. I’ve used .223 to .458 WM on deer. 

Next year i plan to use a .50 BMG
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 74 Member
    Zee said:

MAN I want to see that!!  Pictures will be mandatory!!!
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 271 Member
    Zee said:
    No such thing as too dead. I’ve used .223 to .458 WM on deer. 

.35 Whelen, 250gr Hornady Interlock at about 2500 FPS, dropped a jackal at about 10 yards.  I also watched a professional drop a running dingo with a .458WM.

I hope to use the equivalent of a .45-70 for a lever gun on a deer this year.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,091 Senior Member
    edited June 8 #37
    mitdr774 said:
    snake284 said:

You can take solace in the fact that it's mainly just this forum where the .270 is dispised and some of those dispisers I suspect have owned or own one but don't bring it up here. They'd rather just take shots at those of us brave enough to admit it. They either just keep them in the safe or they hunt with them and call them somethng else when discussing them here. I mean how you gonna know? LOL!
    And why would you change the barrel providing it was in good shape? Try it, you might like it.

And yeah, I think I would love a .270 Short Mag. It would spit out 150s as fast as my regular .270 will push 130s. Not that you need them for deer, but for Elk or other larger species I think it's definitely a winner.
    I assumed it was some kind of running gag that was mostly aimed at your expense based on casual observation.

The rifle was purchased as a donor for a project.  It just happened to be a .270 WSM.  I was going to use a Rem 700 as a donor, but finding a Rem 700 in a short magnum is not easy around here.  A Model 70 in a short magnum can be found from time to time, but no where near as cheap as a 700 can be found.  A Model 70 came up and just happened to be a .270.  Dont see too many .300 WSM rifles pop up.
    Of course it's a running gag. I know that. I have a lot of fun on here because of it. I own a .270 Winchester and it has severed me well for 52 years, but I know others that have been served well by their 7x57s, 7-08s, .30-06s, .308s and so forth and so on. But this place can get pretty boring sometimes if we didn't have a joke or two. So when somebody brings it up in a bad light I'm always around to counter the argument. I also own 3 7mms and a bunch of .30s. Hell there ain't no bad one. They're all good and if you look hard enough you can find someting to gripe about any of them or praise any of them.

I also have a couple of .25s that I love. They are not exactly the darlings of this forum either. I've had about everything. I've had a couple .308s, a couple .30-06s, and more. I enjoy em all.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    About .270 and 7mm-08 and my personal observations:

Both of these were designed to provide less recoil and flatter trajectory by trimming down a great cartridge. In my experience, with the rifles I have fired them in, the .270 still has almost as much recoil as a 150 grain .30-06. On the other hand, the 7mm-08 has slightly more recoil than a .243, which is about as low recoil as I can get, and still notice it a little bit.

I have noticed the same thing in .25-06 vs .243. The .25-06 has significant recoil, and the .243 doesn't. My perception is that a .30-06 has more recoil than a .308, but of course I'm not being scientific about it. I haven't factored bullet weight and charge - it is just my perception, and I think a lot of other people have the same perception.

edited June 8 #39
    In my opinion the only real gain you get with a .270 over a 7-08 is with the 150 grain bullet. But I don't normally use 150s for deer. The 130 is about perfect for it and most game this side of the Red River. But the same with the .7-08. For what I do, either one is a great choice. And though i've never killed jack with one yet I think the 7x57 is right in there with them.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited June 8 #40
    While my own .270 Winchester kicks out of proportion to its cartridge, I have shot heavier .270s that had very moderate recoil. Mine just has a very light stock and I shoot max loads in it and it's like being on the business end of a mule's hind foot.
    But something to consider, since a .270 is rated by SAAMI at 65,000 PSI chamber pressure even factory loads are hotter than the norm. I have noticed in newer reloading manuals some of the loads for it have been toned down. But my load came out of a 45 year old version of the Speer manual and it's full bore. But still the 7-08 is still about as good for deer, at my ranges anyway. The 7-08 is one sweet cartridge.
    edited June 8 #41
    bisley said:

Both of these were designed to provide less recoil and flatter trajectory by trimming down a great cartridge. In my experience, with the rifles I have fired them in, the .270 still has almost as much recoil as a 150 grain .30-06. On the other hand, the 7mm-08 has slightly more recoil than a .243, which is about as low recoil as I can get, and still notice it a little bit.

I have noticed the same thing in .25-06 vs .243. The .25-06 has significant recoil, and the .243 doesn't. My perception is that a .30-06 has more recoil than a .308, but of course I'm not being scientific about it. I haven't factored bullet weight and charge - it is just my perception, and I think a lot of other people have the same perception.

I think your perception would pertain more if you're using heavier bullets and full charges of powder. Then no doubt more powder is going to give you more recoil all else being equal. And an 06 is going to hold 8-10 more grains of powder than a .308.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,289 Senior Member
    30-06.......versatile, accurate, world wide acceptance and ammo availability. And face it, if a 180 gr bullet isn't enough, than you're hunting dangerous game.

6.5x55......combines the 243, 260, and 6mm into 1 caliber. And heck, throw in the 25-06.

264 Winchester Magnum.......smoking hot long range shooter
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,673 Senior Member
    7mm-08 by far my go to for deer.  .243 is fun and then there is the .35 Whelen, king of everything.  But I’m really looking forward to taking a deer with the Scooter some day.  So far Teach is the only one to have done so.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,873 Senior Member
    7mm-08 by far my go to for deer.  .243 is fun and then there is the .35 Whelen, king of everything.  But I’m really looking forward to taking a deer with the Scooter some day.  So far Teach is the only one to have done so.
    Ah, that answers that.  Need to put the Scooter at the front of the line
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Not talking science here, but my personal experience of hunting with people shooting deer with .243 is that they kill deer with 100 or 120 grain bullets, with as much (or more) certainty as those of us who have been using .30-06 or .308 with much heavier bullets. My perception is that there is a comfort level from shooting a light recoiling round that relaxes them enough to make more accurate shots. Many people I have known seem to dread sighting in their high velocity .30 calibers, while the .243 shooters are more relaxed, as if plinking with a .22.

Personally, I have never missed a shot or failed to make a one-shot kill with a .30-06, but I'm not really very sensitive to recoil, and I don't take high risk shots. But, a lot of folks are sensitive, and do not practice enough to overcome that sensitivity. The people I know who shoot .243's seem to always make good shots, so I attribute that to being more relaxed and having more practice. That is really what makes me think that a .243 is such a great hunting round.

The 'intangibles' involved, when the abilities of average hunters are applied, put the .243 on an even par with any other deer hunting round, in my opinion.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,663 Senior Member
    I have killed more deer with my .243 than with all of my other calibers combined.  My .270 is next, and like Snake, my .270 is a light weight.  It is a model 1500 Howa with a plastic stock and it will kick the snot out of you.  BTW, I have two .270's, the  Howa and a  #1 Ruger, let the insults begin.  I load 100 grain Nosler Partitions in the .243 and 130 grain  PSP's with max charges of H1000 in each.....robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,135 Senior Member
    Top three Deer cartridge.

1a) 30/06 b) 308W (a&b because I don't have a theaded '06 yet)

2) 30/30W

3a) 6MM Rem. b) 6.5 CM (tradition v. Latest and greatest)
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    edited June 20 #48
    bisley said:
    Not talking science here, but my personal experience of hunting with people shooting deer with .243 is that they kill deer with 100 or 120 grain bullets, with as much (or more) certainty as those of us who have been using .30-06 or .308 with much heavier bullets. My perception is that there is a comfort level from shooting a light recoiling round that relaxes them enough to make more accurate shots. Many people I have known seem to dread sighting in their high velocity .30 calibers, while the .243 shooters are more relaxed, as if plinking with a .22.

Personally, I have never missed a shot or failed to make a one-shot kill with a .30-06, but I'm not really very sensitive to recoil, and I don't take high risk shots. But, a lot of folks are sensitive, and do not practice enough to overcome that sensitivity. The people I know who shoot .243's seem to always make good shots, so I attribute that to being more relaxed and having more practice. That is really what makes me think that a .243 is such a great hunting round.

The 'intangibles' involved, when the abilities of average hunters are applied, put the .243 on an even par with any other deer hunting round, in my opinion.
    The woman on our lease shoots a Model 742 Remington in .243. She misses more dear than the rest of us put together. I think she takes her rifle out and shoots about 5 shots a year and calls it good if she can hit a pie plate 3 times out of five. I want to tell her if she likes a .243 buy herself a nice bolt gun and don't be so cheap. Go buy 4 or 5 boxes of shells and go out and shoot the thing and get accurate with it. No excuse missing deer with a .243.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,290 Senior Member
    bisley said:

I hunt almost exclusively with a 7mm08, but to my untrained shoulder there is no noticeable recoil difference between comparable factory loaded 140gr 7mm08 loads and 150gr .308 Win. loads.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    edited July 3 #50
    Maybe it's because I'm pretty substantially built but I have had 2 .308s and neither one has been a hard kicker especially with 150 grain bullets. And they killed with aplomb, whatever aplomb means. Nothing much ran away.
    bisley said:

I hunt almost exclusively with a 7mm08, but to my untrained shoulder there is no noticeable recoil difference between comparable factory loaded 140gr 7mm08 loads and 150gr .308 Win. loads.
    I could be wrong about it. I was just stating my personal perception, based on a 7mm-08 shooting 139 grain Hornady hand loads through a Weatherby Vanguard 20" Carbine (basically, just a Howa 1500) and my AR-style 7mm-08 in a Remington R-25, and comparing them to an old Remington pump model (Model 760?) in .270, which is the only .270 that I have shot a lot.. I'm quite sure that the design of the particular rifles makes a difference, so it may not even be reasonable to make such a comparison.

I haven't owned either a .308 or .270 since the mid-'70's, but I recollect the recoil on the Model 88 Winchester in .308, shooting 165 gr. hand loads was about the same as the push-feed Model 70 in 30-06 that I still own, with a similar hand load. I've fired a lot of 150 grain factory loads that people have given me over the years, through the Model 70.

Basically, the .308 i used to shoot started to hurt a little bit after 15-20 rounds, but I have fired twice that many from both of the 7mm-08's, without noticing. As I get older, I favor the 7mm-08.

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    I keep buying new calibers and rifles, but when it comes down to it everything I've killed has been with a .30 cal of some kind, most in magnum form, some short some very long. 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    While my own .270 Winchester kicks out of proportion to its cartridge, I have shot heavier .270s that had very moderate recoil. Mine just has a very light stock and I shoot max loads in it and it's like being on the business end of a mule's hind foot.
    But something to consider, since a .270 is rated by SAAMI at 65,000 PSI chamber pressure even factory loads are hotter than the norm. I have noticed in newer reloading manuals some of the loads for it have been toned down. But my load came out of a 45 year old version of the Speer manual and it's full bore. But still the 7-08 is still about as good for deer, at my ranges anyway. The 7-08 is one sweet cartridge.
    Mine doesn't kick bad at all, and its likely a good pound lighter than yours. But, stock material and design make a huge difference. And we basically have the same rifle. 

I didn't want to like my 270, buts it was pretty accurate with cheap factory ammo, and with that MPI stock its a dream to carry all day. My original plan was to have the tube opened up to a more suitable caliber, but the barrel is going to stay .277"......its just the chamber that'll be getting a work out.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 692 Senior Member
    Out of mine I'd vote
    6.5x55
    30 06
    9.3x62
    If I can't hunt it with one  them I got no business shooting at it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 130 Member
    I have my Browning A-Bolt 270 WSM but for the the lightweight deer in Arkansas it's heavy even at 130 grains.  I took one at 45 yards at it nearly took the far shoulder off so it's defiantly over kill.  
    25-06 is one I defiantly want, hopefully in a Winchester 70.  
    6.5 Swede in a vintage Mauser is another desire.  
    .257 Weatherby is a distant 3rd if the rounds weren't $50 dollars a piece.  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
    edited August 6 #56
    1hogfan83 said:
    I have my Browning A-Bolt 270 WSM but for the the lightweight deer in Arkansas it's heavy even at 130 grains.  I took one at 45 yards at it nearly took the far shoulder off so it's defiantly over kill.  
    Are you shooting hand loads? Or rather can you hand load it? If so, just bring it down a little to 3,100 FPS. That's the velocity of my .270 Win.  Also, depends on the bullet you're shooting. I shoot regular Sierra Game King 130 grains. They're a bit frangible but hold together on light Texas deer pretty well. If you're shooting something like Nosler Balistic Tips at above 3,200 they can make a mess of a lot of meat if they hit a bone just right, although I have used them and still do in my .250 Savage, .257 Improved, and my .280 Remington.. At least that's been my experience.
    edited August 7 #57
    Zee said:

MAN I want to see that!!  Pictures will be mandatory!!!
    Hey Zee will do it too. He killed a doe with a 40 something once. It's not that big a deal. We here shoot white tail all the time with big nasty bullets. I have a buddy that used to deer hunt with his .375 H&H. When I asked him why he used that cannon he just said, "I don't like it when they run away."  I've yet to gut n gill one yet on the hoof. There's always plenty of meat left to eat. I shot a deer with my 9.3x62 with a .270 grain Speer Hot Core and it made about .4 inch hole (that's point 4, not 4 inch)  on the entry and about 1.5 " on exit. That deer fell flat on his belly and never moved a mm frontward or back. He was DRT, with very little meat damage. Big has its advantages.
    edited August 7 #58
    1hogfan83 said:
    If you hand load the WBY that doesn't apply. I hand load for my .300 WBY Mag, Mark V. The only difference in cost per shot is the extra 10-20 grains of powder. I'm hard headed and use Winchester or Remington Brass('m a cheapo) and for .300 Weatherby the difference in cost of Weatherby Mag brass and say .30-06 is negligible.
2»