Fishing Fun

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,290 Senior Member
Nothing like big smiles and fishing! I’m having a great time introducing my girlfriend and her girls to fishing!
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,721 Senior Member
    That's great for some family fun and time together.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,739 Senior Member
    Mmm. Walleye!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,980 Senior Member
    Walleye cheeks! 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,208 Senior Member
    Nice fishing! Skills developed from this activity including patience, catch dressing and contact with nature are great for kids.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,080 Senior Member
    Looks like a blast. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,882 Senior Member
    Fishing produces some NICE smiles
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,995 Senior Member
    Nice walleyes and striped bass! Nicer smiles! Fishing is fun and being rewarded with a nice catch is the best.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,694 Senior Member
    Beautiful girls and great big smiles.  What’s not to like!  Good job!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,816 Senior Member
    Training women to catch walleyes for you, nicely done! :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,695 Senior Member
    Isn't that a Wiper (hybrid) bass?

I think they are the ones with the broken up stipes
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,290 Senior Member
    They go by jbp-ohio said:
    Isn't that a Wiper (hybrid) bass?

I think they are the ones with the broken up stipes
    They go by white bass and silver bass around here. Very abundant in almost all our lakes and uses all easy to catch.
    That’s a white Bass here also 
    Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,552 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #14
    Yes, it's a hybrid

Salts have solid stripes, like the 26 pounder on my wall

Fresh waters don't really have lines

and Hybrids have broken lines

You have to be able to tell them apart here, because the limits and size restrictions differ per species.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Hard to tell on a small wiper. As they get bigger they heft up......

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,290 Senior Member
    They're great fun to catch! I've never eaten them but heard they're good if you cut the red meat off and eat them fresh.  The big ones about rip the rod out of your hands when they strike.  

Maybe it is a regional or water clarity thing. I've caught thousands of white bass, but they had very dull unbroken stripes. (Had a couple pics of my own on Shutterfly, but can't even get on that site anymore. All lost I suppose)

I don't like the taste of any bass. The fillets look very......... bloody. Although I recently read (never tried) that you can marinade them in milk, and that will pull the strong flavor out.
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,995 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Maybe it is a regional or water clarity thing. I've caught thousands of white bass, but they had very dull unbroken stripes. (Had a couple pics of my own on Shutterfly, but can't even get on that site anymore. All lost I suppose)

I don't like the taste of any bass. The fillets look very......... bloody. Although I recently read (never tried) that you can marinade them in milk, and that will pull the strong flavor out.
    That's what white bass in most areas of the TN River and tributaries look like. Some in the clearer tributaries have very distinct unbroken black lines. The ones that are crosses with the stripers (Rockfish) have distinct broken black lines, and a LOT bigger mouth. The stripers also cross with the Yellow Bass, and those much larger yellow bass crosses are nicknamed Eatabus Everythingabus; they eat ANYTHING that they can cram into their mouths, and cruise the shorelines doing so. I like the taste of white and yellow bass, IF they are properly filleted and prepared. Soaking the fillets in heavily salted milk overnight gets rid of most of the unpleasant taste.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.