Did you draw/Get any tags?

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,053 Senior Member

Early's thread got me to thinking, some of us are finding out if we drew tags or not.  Some of us may be getting over the counter tags or something else.  We already know Zee has a deer tag tree in his front yard.. Figured maybe I'd just start one thread for those who want to report if you drew any tags, bought any tags or plan to buy OTC tags and share any thoughts on your upcoming 2018 hunts.

I only put in for deer this year and drew a Fork Antlered Deer tag in the unit around where I live.  I'd usually go up to the mountains for deer and elk, but decided to keep it simple this year.  While there isn't much of a deer population in the area where I drew, there are some.  I know of a place about 30 minutes from my house where I've seen deer just about every time I've been there.  I showed it to a buddy a few years ago and he tagged a buck out there.  So, that's where I'm going to give it a try.  The only reason I'm not going to the mountains this year is, everyone else I would hunt with is putting in for archery hunts.  I'm not interested in archery and didn't want to draw a Any Legal Arms tag in the areas where they hunt, making us all have to make multiple trips for multiple hunts.  While that would be fun, it's time consuming and we can't all be away from work that much.  This way, I probably spend some time as camp cook and beer drinker in their hunting camp, and we can travel back and forth to my hunting location for day hunts when it's my turn.

As far as gun plans for my hunt, I'm planning on two possibilities.  First choice will be my Encore pistol in 454 Casull.  But, since the area where I will be hunting might require long, across canyon shots, I'm hoping to have the 308 AR finished and ready to go by then.  If that happens to fall through, it'll be one of the 243 or 308 bolt guns that go out for a walk.

Next year, I'll be putting in for Elk and plan to try to take one with the 454.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,443 Senior Member
    Good luck. Post pics!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,953 Senior Member
    Thankful, I buy the tags I want. No drawing for MOST things here.  The only draws we have are for managed hunts in certain areas, typically  where the people population and deer population aren’t mixing well. Some are just areas that are over populated. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,053 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Good luck. Post pics!

Will do.

cpj said:
    Thankful, I buy the tags I want. No drawing for MOST things here.  The only draws we have are for managed hunts in certain areas, typically  where the people population and deer population aren’t mixing well. Some are just areas that are over populated. 

Years ago in New Mexico, deer and turkey tags where over the counter.  Only stuff like elk and oryx were draw.  Now, everything except small game is draw in a lottery type system.  Kinda makes it a pain trying to plan hunts with multiple hunters.  You can attach applications to others to help you draw the same hunts.  But since I'm not doing the same thing as my dad and buddies, we have to enter separate.  That being the case, we now collectively have deer and elk hunts in 3 different areas of the state...
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    That's how Texas runs it as well. No draws for me.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,456 Senior Member
    My Dad tried to talk me into archery. I almost went that direction today, but the OTC archery tags are for the wrong areas, and Im not ready to relearn the sport. Good luck Jay.
    edited June 6 #7

There are some hunts here that are not draw.  Mainly private landowner tags.  Ranchers and farmers can get an allotted number of tags, then use them themselves or sell them to hunters and charge to hunt on private land.

Big difference between Texas and New Mexico is, Texas is mostly private and lease hunts.  New Mexico is mostly public land.  Ups and downs to both.  Up side to public land hunts; don't have to pay to hunt there.  Main down side to public land hunts in NM is, some areas can be way too full of "hunters" to make it much of a fun trip.  There are also outfitters that go out long before the hunts start and stake out big areas for themselves.  Out of state people pay big money for elk hunts here.  A big reason why we've done a lot more archery and muzzleloader hunts in the past.  Not nearly as many people out during those seasons.

If you every really want to have some fun, get in an argument with an outfitter charging hunters big money who thinks a certain section of public land belongs to him....

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,539 Senior Member
    edited June 6 #8
    What are these "tags" of which you speak???  :D

Alabama has only recently started requiring we even REPORT deer killed on private property. and are SLOWLY decreasing the number we can kill.

I have a feeling tags are coming here eventually. But the powers that be know they have to ease that yoke around our necks slowly to prevent a mass revolt

It was 2 deer a day, only one of which could be a buck, every day of the season.

Now it's 4 bucks total per season, one of which must have 4 or more total points, and it must be recorded on your license before you move it. (They can ticket you for not having a pencil/pen with you) and still unlimited does, but 1 a day

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,133 Senior Member

I drew a Montana either-species buck tag.  I'll probably buy an OTC whitetail only doe tag when they go on sale in August.  I already have the tags.

I can get a Texas tag for damn near nothing.  Finding a place to use one is a whole 'nother story, though.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 74 Member
    We have a draw here.  Some tags are highly coveted, some easy to get.  Just found out I drew my muzzleloader doe tag, and rifle cow elk tag.  My wife also drew the same elk tag, and her rifle doe tag.  I will be taking the flintlock for the doe, and hopefully an XP100 in 284 for the elk.  My wife will be using her 270WSM for her stuff.  She loves that rifle, and shoots it very well.  I'm supposed to find out about my pronghorn, bear, and moose between now and the 8th.  My wife and I will also have OTC bull elk for second season.

Colorado went to a new system this year, and I like it better than what was in the past.  It's still a draw system, but it saves a LOT of time and money.
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,456 Senior Member

Colorado went to a new system this year, and I like it better than what was in the past.  It's still a draw system, but it saves a LOT of time and money.

It does make it easier to apply.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,136 Senior Member
    Don't specifically  buy tags here, they come with the license.
    I have a need for speed
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,215 Senior Member
    Everything in Idaho is OTC, except moose, big horn sheep, and mountain goats. Draw results are June 10th. Hoping to draw cow moose. 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,136 Senior Member
    Just ordered the big game tags for this season online since I have a lifetime license.
    I have a need for speed
    edited June 7 #15
    Just found out this morning I drew my bear tag!  And just got my antelope tag a few minutes ago!  I drew all four species this year!!  Never done that before.
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
    Feel the hate. 
    Sorry...I feel nothing.  

Nope.... Still nothing.
    How insensitive of you. You insensative prick!  You should be more sensitive towards my hateful feelings. 
     Nope.... Stiiiiiiiil nothing.
    Hey Zee... Have you seen this picture??

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,861 Senior Member
    I am still waiting to find out if I got drawn for my Montana B (doe tag) and Iowa buck/doe tags.  

I was (not shockingly) unsuccessful in my Nevada desert bighorn, Rocky Mountain Bighorn, California bighorn, and Mountain goat drawing.  

Points-only for everything else I put in for in a couple other states.  I will put in for South Dakota's deer season and probably not do much, if any, hunting locally for deer season here in Nebraska.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Glad to see some of yall starting getting your draws and tags. It's right about now, since my tags have arrived and it is hotter than heck outside, that I am very much ready for fall and hunting season.... Especially since it's been a few years since I've drawn tags to hunt anything other than quail and dove.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    I'm waiting for the Wyoming draw results. they should be posted on June 21st.  I put in for the hardest to draw units for everything, Elk Deer and Antelope. I'm not expecting to draw anything, if I do...I'll be in tall cotton.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,133 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    I am still waiting to find out if I got drawn for my Montana B (doe tag) and Iowa buck/doe tags.  

I was (not shockingly) unsuccessful in my Nevada desert bighorn, Rocky Mountain Bighorn, California bighorn, and Mountain goat drawing.  

Points-only for everything else I put in for in a couple other states.  I will put in for South Dakota's deer season and probably not do much, if any, hunting locally for deer season here in Nebraska.  

Luis, unless I have badly misinterpreted Montana's game regs, you can buy otc whitetail doe tags beginning August 6.  That's what I plan to do. 
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,861 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:

Luis, unless I have badly misinterpreted Montana's game regs, you can buy otc whitetail doe tags beginning August 6.  That's what I plan to do. 
    Jerry -

You can buy the whitetail B tag OTC no problem.  It’s the mulie B tag that I have to wait and see if I drew.  It’s traditionally a pretty good success rate drawing, but so is the deer combo and I got left out on that one this year.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,215 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    Everything in Idaho is OTC, except moose, big horn sheep, and mountain goats. Draw results are June 10th. Hoping to draw cow moose. 
    No moose for me. :'(
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Saturday morning it was rainy, cloudy and cooler than it has been lately, so I decided to go out to the area where I'll be hunting this fall and do some looking around.  Shot a few pics and just generally had fun.  I was by myself and hadn't told anyone that I was going out, much less where I'd be.  Since I was 30 miles from town and by myself with no cell service, I didn't get too crazy with my hiking.  Didn't want to have something happen out there and nobody know where I was.  So I drove the truck up a dirt road toward the draw where I've seen deer before and parked when the terrain started getting a little tough.  I walked up the draw about 3 miles or so, then headed back to the truck.  Didn't see any deer this trip, but did see sign.

And here's a few pics of the area where I'll be hunting.  Going further into the draw, there are areas that hold water when it rains and there are some trees.  That's generally the area where I've seen deer before.  I'll be making more trips up there.  Next time I'll let someone know where I'm going so they know to come find me if I don't get back home.  Ha!

👍🏻
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,873 Senior Member
    A very small part of me misses the High Desert.

I used to take the truck about as far as a little Toyota could go then rolling the dirt bike off the truck and with only water, a full tank of gas, and a Ruger Single Six, I would ride until there was 2/3rds of a tank of gas then turn around.  Often go off the main trail, but keep it in sight, those side trips are when I saw Deer, Oryx, Coyotes, Jack Rabbits, of course lizards and snakes, what looks empty and barren is actually full of wildlife. The deer were actually plentiful, you just had to wait for them to move to find them. They often would stay put until you all but step on them.
    Good Luck out there Jay, don't forget your water.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    The drawing for Elk Deer and Antelope is on June 21st, @ 10:00 mountain time.  Fingers crossed for the hard to draw areas I applied for.   Friends from Wisconsin applied with 7 preference points, so they should draw their deer tags.  I hope so, all I'll get is a credit card refund.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    Muzzleloader cow, bear rifle,  doe antelope rifle,  2nd season buck (2nd choice. Need them points!!) Montana buck tag, put in for the muley doe tag and will likely buy the otc whitetail tag in August.  

Gonna be a busy fall!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.