The Good Bad & the Ugly Shops

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    Question ......... If you braze yellow brass will the color match ?
    I have a brass bell that has dings in it & rather than grinding it all down was thinking of filling the dings with braze. Was worried that it would look worse with the braze than the dings do if the color was off .

Well 2# of black oxide powder so far. The mess will be here for months to come ! May need to bring the big steam pressure washer here to really get it . No matter what the total weight comes out to ........it will be enough.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,978 Senior Member
    Color will be off, and the brazing will oxidize the brass around the brazed pit. You can't polish that out; too deep, and will require removal of metal.

Something you can try that will work and be mostly unnoticeable unless you get REALLY close is to fill the pits with finely ground/sanded yellow brass and a MINIMUM of clear epoxy to stick it together and hold it in the pit. Once dry, the patch can be leveled and polished, and mostly disappear.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Thanks Mike ......I was going to try braze today as soon as I had the mess a little better under control. ( dodged a bullet on that one )
    This powder is worse than any graphite I ever spilled !

I have finely ground brass, bronze, steel, SS, carbon, graphite, aluminum, and a few others in tightly sealed containers. And they are ALL messy if you don't contain them while working with them. And they all LOVE to stick to your pinkies! :D
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

I have washed my hands so many times today I am feeling like a raccoon. I should just make up some acid salt & oxide & have it in liquid form ready. I know there was a reason I didn't do that before but can't remember why I don't. Probably the mess or potential of a big mess.
    That's why I go to Harbor Fright and buy a box of those cheap exam latex gloves when messin' with stuff that stains your hands. The absolute WORST that my fingers ever got stained was hulling black walnuts to make walnut stain. THAT stuff is really long lasting. It's both oily and really does penetrate skin! :D

A box of gloves is on my buy list for today. I have big mits with long fingers so finding ones that fit usually is a problem. But better than the raccoon day I had yesterday. At midnight last night I was still moping the trails I made with my flip flops.
    We have high heat coming in this weekend so that will be a good time for inside work.
    Today & tomorrow will be outside work. I need to get to shop 2 & see how the weed killer is doing. May give them another shot after I get the grass & shooting lane cut. I have cut the grass 3 times on the lane & haven't shot 1 round yet. That is just wrong !

The tumbler is on it's way to Midway. I hope the replacement one is as good as the one I had. Going to mix in real job with some shop 2 work today. The weekend is going to get in the upper 90s so better get at the grass before that. Cleaning up the black mess will probably take all weekend.
    Don't know what you're mowing with but my lawnmower and tractor have lights on them, and the tractor has a couple of auxiliary lights front and back so I can see what's going on. When it gets HOT during the day, I mow after the sun goes down. More cooler after sundown is more better for mowing.

All mine have lights on too but after dark the bugs really get bad out there. I try to go early & work until the heat gets to bad. I had a late start this AM because I needed to pick up some money at the bank to put in the machines on my way home. Made it home by 4 & stopped to see dad & jaw a bit. He lost his dog today after 18 years so I wanted to see how he was taking it. My brother took it & buried it at the pet cemetery for dad. Was happy I was at shop 2 working during all this. The old guy seems ok so home I came.
    Sorry to hear your Dad lost his dog. 18 years is a good run for a dog, too. That's always a hard thing to deal with, losing a pet you've had for a long time. Way too close to losing a member of the family.

As to the bugs at night and mowing, MOW FASTER! :D

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,558 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Don't know what you're mowing with but my lawnmower and tractor have lights on them, and the tractor has a couple of auxiliary lights front and back so I can see what's going on. When it gets HOT during the day, I mow after the sun goes down. More cooler after sundown is more better for mowing.
    You know, this is a capital idea. My mower is electric anyway, a bar light would enable night mowing in my little yard quite nicely and I could avoid the heat!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    tennmike said:
    Sorry to hear your Dad lost his dog. 18 years is a good run for a dog, too. That's always a hard thing to deal with, losing a pet you've had for a long time. Way too close to losing a member of the family.

As to the bugs at night and mowing, MOW FASTER! :D
    Thanks Mike
    My worry was how dad was taking it all. He is a tough old bird but loosing mom last year about this time & now the pooch is a little tough on him.
    I made a run at the grass yesterday until the heat hit. The shooting lane is closing in so that will be a big job for me & smokey ( my boom truck ) to get at. On my riding mower I had to move branches to get through. With all the rain we have been getting there were places that was a swamp. The neighbors drain tile pointed at my land is not helping. About 20 ton of dirt in front of that outlet will help. ( note to self stuff him ) And I have all that free run off I can use just for that too.
    Weed report ......Killed some but not all. I may sneak out there early tomorrow AM & spray then go have lunch with my dad & brother.
    I would mow faster but then the bugs would get in my can of Pepsi & that would end the party.
    10 hours out in the sun & heat ! All to buy stuff I really don't have a big need for.
    It's not my fault I stayed ......the prices made me do it.
    I was so hot & whipped when I came home at 6 last night . I backed the truck m( full truck ) in the drive Came in the house & put on the AC. With a fan on me it took 2 hours to cool down. A shower ,cold hunk of pizza ,stupid movie & off to bed. I could have filled a semi with the bargains there. I stuck with things I can use & things I liked . Bad news there is I like a lot of things ! lol

Here is what the load looked like & the trailer for the shop2 lawn tractor. I think it can be made look better.
    Staying around shop 1 today. Calling for rain all day so in the shop sorting & cleaning up my last 2 auction treasures is a good idea.
    Today is a go pissaway money day. Come to think of it yesterday was the same thing .
    I need to pick up about 10 gal of hydraulic oil for smokey, see if I can find a 220 motor for the compressor , get smokey running again ( I think I bragged to much on how well that old truck run. ) It is broke down right in front of shop 2 . With the boom & outriggers out. Take out some diesel for her & a few cans of starting fluid . It is the biggest list of things to fix that I have had in a long time. All took a crap on the same day makes it a tough day. I hope as I check off the repairs nothing else adds to the list.

Worked on smokey yesterday but no luck getting her running. I threw a charger on for a few hours to keep the batteries up & keep trying. Managed to get some 1 1/2 " hoses made up to pump water. With all the rain we have been getting the tanks are full all the time. Managed to get the motor off the air compressor so now to find a new one.
    Loaded up the lawn wagon & will work on it at shop 1 . ( I hope things don't go south in this shop too ! )

Is the truck getting fuel? Gas or diesel? Not much can stop a diesel from starting except no fuel, or air at the injector inlets or a fuel line full of air. I just LOVE bleeding injectors. :#  Might want to change out the fuel filter too, just because.

It's diesel ...... so far I have added 25 gallons of fuel brought it up to 3/4 tank. I pressurized the tank drained the dryer re filled it 2 new filters on it at $50 each cracked them open to see fuel running out .......opened the line to the small pump fuel there ....checked oil level all good......Have full charge in batteries ....next to big fuel pump ....then it was pouring down rain so called it a day. I plan to check the feed line to the big pump under pressure then the injectors lines. I hate diesel !
    I'd rather do diesel than a gasoline motor. With a gas engine you got elebenty-seven more things to check that are possibly broken/malfunctioning. And they are generally HARD to find, especially with all that whiz-bang computerized CRAP stuck EVERYWHERE!

Well it is sitting until a dry day comes along . I use the truck so I have to get it back running so I can trim the trees at the lane.
    Here are a few treasures from the last auction .......for 1 buck how could I say no. 5 old lamps for a buck......wow.
    The bird house was another story ....an Amish guy ran me up.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,456 Senior Member
    Is that a juke box I see in the background???

You're living an accumulation sensation👀
    Yes that is a AMI CD Juke with 100 cds in it. Right now I have only 3 juks in the house. The rest are at shop 2. Slow but sure I am getting rid of some. The only one I probably will never sell is the Wurlitzer 1015 CD in my office. It has the bubble lights that change colors .....kind of cool in my world.
    Wurlitzer, cool!
    Maybe You'll find a Rockola someday.
    The Rockola Capree is sitting in my reloading room with 80 45s on it.  That one took me 5 years to find new buttons for & to get back together working. Finding old juke parts is as bad as finding old gun parts.
    Wow! Thats great👍

You could probly build a first class museum.
    If a sanford & son house would qualify then I could lol
    Here is the juke you asked about. Sad thing is that I bought some of the stuff new ! Now they are called antiques .......so I must be one too.

edited June 22 #361
    I'm partial to that maker because they made a limited number of M1 carbines during WWII.