Pay it forward

RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 74 Member
Mods, if this is a bad idea, please delete this thread.

I just went through my reloading bench and found some things that I'd like to pass on to someone that can use them.  The only thing I ask is that you post something that you can pay forward to someone else.  We did this on a different forum a few years ago, and it went for almost two years.  We found that a few rules made it a lot easier:

1.  The person listing the item pays for shipping. 
2.  No limit to the value of an item that is paid forward, and the item you list does NOT have to be of equal value to the item you took.  
3.  Items do not have to be related to guns and ammo.  It can literally be anything.
4.  To keep this streamlined, don't list anything to pay forward unless you have taken an item.  
5.  You can take as many items as you want so long as you keep posting items to pay forward.

So, here we go...

The first item I have to pay forward is a digital caliper that reads in millimeters or inches.  Reads from 0 to 150mm, or 0 to 6 inches.  This is an extra caliper that has been sitting on my reloading bench for a while, so figured there might be someone that could use it.  It has a black plastic case with it.  It works just fine, but I don't need two of them.

Whoever wants it, reply to this post, and let us know what item you have to pay forward.  Then send me a PM with your address, and this will go out in the mail to you right away.
Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,539 Senior Member
    We had something similar a few years ago, except it was a "Bullet box".
    We had the "spare" or not needed partial boxes of bullets. Sent it to whomever wanted it next, they took out what they wanted, and then replaced them with what they had they no longer needed or wanted.

It sort of died out eventually, I'm not sure who ended up with it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    We had the "spare" or not needed partial boxes of bullets. Sent it to whomever wanted it next, they took out what they wanted, and then replaced them with what they had they no longer needed or wanted.

The shipping had to be a killer on that.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,211 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    knitepoet said:

The shipping had to be a killer on that.
    USPS flat rate boxes were used so the shipping wasn't bad but the "bullet box" wasn't very practical as it was full of small quantities of oddball bullets that weren't of much use to many people. It didn't make sense to pay shipping on a box of bullets that you might only use ten or twenty bullets out of.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 74 Member
    Well, bummer.  Thought this idea might go somewhere, but at least it was worth a shot!  Guess I'll put the calipers back on the shelf, and if someone reads this thread about 20 years from now and wants them, they're yours!!!  :D
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,211 Senior Member
    Well, bummer.  Thought this idea might go somewhere, but at least it was worth a shot!  Guess I'll put the calipers back on the shelf, and if someone reads this thread about 20 years from now and wants them, they're yours!!!  :D
    I'm not saying your idea doesn't have merit, I'm saying the previous incarnation didn't.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,456 Senior Member
    Winter might be a better time for it?
    How about ......FREE You Pay The Freight  ....... At least that way we could move some unwanted treasures out. Send me those calipers & let me know the freight cost & I will send a check before I get them. I think that's the least one can do for something free.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    Let it 'cook' for a little while. There might be some interest after everybody thinks about it a little. I think it's a fine idea - I just haven't thought of anything I could pay forward, yet, and I don't need the calipers, personally.
    edited June 14 #10
    Old Ron said:
    How about ......FREE You Pay The Freight  ....... At least that way we could move some unwanted treasures out. Send me those calipers & let me know the freight cost & I will send a check before I get them. I think that's the least one can do for something free.
    Well, how bout we make it an option?  I'd like to pay for the shipping on these calipers to ya.  If you want to list something as "Free except for freight", then go for it!  The next person after you can pick how they want to do it with their item.  I could see how this could be a good option on larger items for sure!

PM me your address, and these calipers will be sent out before I head to "Wyshot" on Friday.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,871 Senior Member
    I like the concept.  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    I am looking around for first aid kits for coolgunguy .....just saying  lol
    First aid kits are for women. A little glue, or the tape of my choosing are the go - to's 

The last time I had stitches I nearly severed (doctor's words, didn't look that bad to me) my trigger finger  just above the first knuckle, stupidly trying to keep a barrel of bed liner urea from typing over.  Got stitched up and headed back to work.  I figure if I have to be in pain, I might as well be paid. 
    George Carlin
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,236 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    How about ......FREE You Pay The Freight  .......
    A few years back i offered quite a few boxes of bullets for free if they would pay the shipping charges, everyone did, in return I got a lot of stuff from others and sent them a check, I think its only fair that if you are getting something for free the least one can do is pay for shipping.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,073 Senior Member
    There are many very generous folks populating this little forum of ours. I have been the recipient of that kindness and have in turn payed it forward when able. In most case I don't even expect shipping expenses unless it's an unusually heavy item.
    And BTW the previously mentioned bullet box is in my possession so if anyone wants to fire it back up let me know.

Sako  
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,966 Senior Member
    First aid kits are for women. A little glue, or the tape of my choosing are the go - to's 

Hell yes...just rub some dirt on it and drive on...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:

Hell yes...just rub some dirt on it and drive on...
    Yup.  It'll be just fine. 
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,136 Senior Member
    I don't know how we got on busting knuckles; I have a chainsaw that likes to do a 
    job on knuckles-----you could borrow it if ya need to.
    I have a need for speed
    sakodude said:
    And BTW the previously mentioned bullet box is in my possession so if anyone wants to fire it back up let me know.

Sako  
    Cool, I know it "died" here twice and I was glad when you asked about it and I could get it out of my man cave
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Calipers will be sent out tomorrow.  Don't forget to list your item to pay forward!  Sorry the calipers are late getting out to you.  Didn't check my private messages before leaving for Wyshot.  
    If we all think hard on the extras we don't need I think we can fill this list fast & make some new friends to boot. Speaking for myself I have already made some new friends.
    sakodude said:
    There are many very generous folks populating this little forum of ours. I have been the recipient of that kindness and have in turn payed it forward when able. In most case I don't even expect shipping expenses unless it's an unusually heavy item.

Sako  
    FYI, I still have/use the k31 clips you so generously gave me

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,073 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    sakodude said:

Sako  
    FYI, I still have/use the k31 clips you so generously gave me
    excellent, glad they were useful.

Sako
    Yessir, they were, and I haven't forgotten where they came from

edited June 23 #25
    Ron-- calipers are on the way to you.  Sorry for the delay. 

I hope this idea takes off as well, but please remember, only post an item when you've claimed an item.  Otherwise, it gets to be a mess.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,953 Senior Member
    Ron-- calipers are on the way to you.  Sorry for the delay. 

I hope this idea takes off as well, but please remember, only post an item when you've claimed an item.  Otherwise, it gets to be a mess.
    Historical data says It’s going to be a mess  anyway. 
    The simplest way is “I have this thing. I don’t need it. First one who speaks up gets it. “
    The two work out the details amongst themselves. No need for “don’t do this unless you do this, that, and the other, and only do if it you intend to blah blah blah.”
    Trying to assign guidelines to a random act of kindness just **** everything up. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    No, it actually helps keep things streamlined.  Like I said earlier, we've done this before elsewhere.  It actually works really well, but probably just not the right time of year for this thread.  Maybe it will take off this fall / winter.  If not, no big deal -- at least Ron got free calipers!!!
    You’re new. You’ll figure it out. 
    Zee
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,022 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Speaking of figuring it out. Just after the new forum launch, I attempted to PM you to see if you wanted that MBUIS. I'm guessing I did not actually send it. Turns out it is polymer and not the steel one like I thought. But yours if you still want it.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
    cpj said:
    I think I'll just leave this one alone! :D :D
    cpj said:
    Speaking of figuring it out. Just after the new forum launch, I attempted to PM you to see if you wanted that MBUIS. I'm guessing I did not actually send it. Turns out it is polymer and not the steel one like I thought. But yours if you still want it.
    Just hold on to it. Plans have changed now. That gun may go down the road. Thanks though. 
    Zee