Home Main Category General Firearms

Should I make this trade......

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,292 Senior Member
edited June 2018 in General Firearms #1
I have a Ruger M77 Compact in 7mm-08. Wood stock, blued, Simmons 3x9.  I bought it 12-15 yrs ago for my sons. They both killed their 1st deer with it. They have outgrown it. Last time 1 of them shot it the scope got him. The scope can be moved forward and/or a thicker recoil pad put on it.  It is a HANDY gun to carry in thick Mississippi woods. I finally took it this morning to my LGS to see about a recoil pad and moving the scope. Turns out the owner really wants this gun for his 2nd grandson. 

He kept asking me what I wanted for it.  Finally I told him I'd trade it for the 2 HiPoint Carbines he has in stock.  1 is a used 9mm with an extra 20 rd mag. He sold this one brand new and the guy traded it for a .22 for his kid.  Price tag right now is $225. The 2nd is a new 10mm($349). He'll also throw in a box of 9 & 10mm ammo.  I also think I can keep the scope. I was kinda joking when I said it but he wants this Ruger.  This Ruger hasn't been shot in 10 yrs and I would kinda like to have a pistol carbine.  I don't have grandkids(yet). And I can always buy another rifle. Although I do have 2 30-30's in the safe now.

So, what do y'all think? Is the Ruger worth 2 Hi Point pistol carbines?

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    I know so little that I always go to gun broker site & get an idea what things are worth. Then do the math on the trade. The biggest deciding point to me is if I don't want what I have & I do want what they are trading.
    Hope that helps you

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Thanks. Y'all are right.  While I thought about the sentimental value,  I didn't REALLY think about it. If that makes sense.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    A real gun for a plastic pieces of (functional ) crap. 
    Zero chance. 
    What he said!!!  Sentimental value aside, it does not even look like a good financial decision to me. 

Sako
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    Ummmmm...No....actually, hell no,.  Trade a M77 for two something's that will have no resale value as soon as you walk out the door....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Thanks everyone. I've seen the light!. No deal.

This is why I never make big decisions immediately.  I've learned my lesson.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,905 Senior Member
    Your Grandchildren  will thank you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Just an idea what it means to grandkids, I gave my grandkids my rem. 512 and my uncle whiteys 511, Whitey was in many ways like my dad, taught me to hunt and fish, i re-finished both rifles and on whiteys inlaid a brass plaque with his name and dates. My SIL told me that when he takes the kids to the range and people ask about the guns, they say "this one was grandpops and this one was great grandpops,

JAY 
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    I had a brain fart. Greed almost overruledcommon sense.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Save some money and get a ruger 9mm carbine.  Keep the rifle you have now.  I've lost fascination with the hipoint 10mm after seeing some reviews.  Not very accurate even at 25 yds.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    Glad it "passed"
    RugerFan said:
    I had a brain fart. Greed almost overruledcommon sense.
    I agree with your change of heart 100%
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Dodged the “man that was stupid” bullet for sure!!!!!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,574 Senior Member
    Put a decent scope on it.  That should alleviate the scope bite.
    There's enough room to move the scope forward +1". But then I don' know what that'l do to eye relief. Limbsaver makes a.recoil pad for this particular.gun. I may see about getting 1.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I think standard LOP is 13.5" or so.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,981 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #17
    Bad trade. 

And and I don’t even like the 7mm-08!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    My wife hunts with the SS version of that rifle in 308.

I believe Early is correct about LOP.

It's the only rifle in my safe that I am scared to put a "full power" load through.

Wife is rather recoil sensitive, so I use Hodgdon's "youth data" to load for it, and the scope has nearly gotten me with the reduced loads
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

With a thicker recoil pad and moving the scope.forward, I hope I can make it usable for me. It's a handy rifle for carrying in my woods.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,905 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    With a thicker recoil pad and moving the scope.forward, I hope I can make it usable for me. It's a handy rifle for carrying in my woods.
    Maybe a new stock?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #21

If it's me No Way Jose. That rifle has made family history. Very important family history. It has killed 2 first deer. And it could kill more if handed down to grand kids. Wait and save for a carbine and don't sacrifice such an important family jewel. That's my opinion on it. Also, it's your boys who have the sentimental tie to it, not you so you might  ask them if you ever want to trade or sell it, jus' sayin'.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, it's just that I've done things like this before to find out later I'm in hot water with family.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited June 2018 #22
    If I'd read up the page I wouldn't have had to say all that. Anyway,  another of my opinions, that rifle deserves a better scope than a Simmons unless it's an old made in Japan Simmons. Now those were good scopes and worthy of a Ruger 77. But if it's one of the Chinese Piece of crap ones I'd get me a new scope. Also, the newer Chinese scopes don't have good eye relief, at least in my experience. My cheap Nikon Prostaff is very clear and has about 4 inches of eye relief.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited June 2018 #23
    Also, one more thing. If you get a good scope on it and start hunting with it you may not want to give it up. Though I don't have a compact model, I have handled one and they are very nice. If it was in a bigger cartridge I don't think I'd want one because they're really light. But that rifle in 7-08 is perfect for carrying around. Hence; another reason trading it would be a  bad idea.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,148 Senior Member
    Redfield scopes are a great value as well.  Made by Leupold, same great warranty, and really good glass. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    OK the last four guys beat me to it! Put a 2x7 on that rifle! Why do you want 3x9 in a woods gun? 7x is more than enough for 300 yards. Besides Simmons is a long way of spelling CRAP. The next child will appreciate the upgrade if you don't decide to use it yourself.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Diver43 said:
    RugerFan said:
    Maybe a new stock?
    I've thought about that. Haven' looked yet
    Good info on the scopes. When I bought the gun $ was tight. After I move the scope I may look into another 1. This Simmons is pretty.clear. I don' care about low light situations cause I'm not tracking any more deer at night :)
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Looking through a Nikon 2x7 or a low end Leupold 2x7 and then looking through any Simmons scope will be an eye opening experience.  Ditch the Simmons. That rifle deserves better glass. I have a Leupold 3x9 (I had it lying around) on my model 660 Remington carbine, it's comparable to your Ruger compact size-wise.  I'm saving for a Leupold 1x4 for it, 4x at the top end is all I need for most of my hunting.
    edited June 2018 #30
    Looking through a Nikon 2x7 or a low end Leupold 2x7 and then looking through any Simmons scope will be an eye opening experience.  Ditch the Simmons. That rifle deserves better glass. I have a Leupold 3x9 (I had it lying around) on my model 660 Remington carbine, it's comparable to your Ruger compact size-wise.  I'm saving for a Leupold 1x4 for it, 4x at the top end is all I need for most of my hunting.
    Hate to differ with you but the old japan made simmons were good scopes. They were about the same or better than the entry level Leupold and Nikons. When they moved production to China  the Simmons went down hill.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    Snake, an old scope is an old scope, technology has changed. I have a few old Redfields that are great and built like tanks but I have them on range guns. When you go out on a hunt in bad weather and the scope fogs over the hunt I done. Save that old Simmons for a target gun, get  low power for the woods, compact for the weight and mount height and good eye relief. 2x7 is good because the 2x is great in the brush and if you need more power the animal is far enough away hat you'll have time to turn it up. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: