Home Main Category General Firearms

Close call on the range today

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,412 Senior Member
Decided to pop 50 rounds or so out of my 1911 at lunch today.  Grabbed by gun and a box of ammo, stopped by the barn and grabbed some ear protection and walked over to the range.  As I was putting my ear protection something caught my eye in one of the ear cups.  A closer look and there was a scorpion inside the right ear cup.  It's a darn good thing I caught it, I'm sure it wouldn't have ended well for me.  
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Dang you could have been hit with a real Stinger!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Better give stuff a shake before putting it on down there?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Having a scorpion sting your ear would have been an event of great suckage! Glad you saw that little devil before putting on the muffs!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,369 Senior Member
    Oh now that is just too scary!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    Yeah.....I guess a sting in the ear would hurt like hell, but not near as bad as my old buddy Don who set down on an old log to answer a nature call during a Dove hunt in the high desert in Utah.....sucker stung him right in the taint....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 421 Member
    I had one of those bastards in my sleeping bag in 79. Went camping with my old man and brother in Arizona, and never got bit. Hate those things. Now I seal everything in zip lock bags to keep out the spiders and other biting insects. 
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Scary!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Do you know what kind of scorpion it was? Was it a Bark scorpion? If it was then that would give me the extra double dark willies. :#
    http://www.arizona-leisure.com/arizona-bark-scorpion.html

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I caught a small one on my teaching stand in front of the room 6-8 years ago here in northern South Dakota.   We figured it came in with a box of books from Texas.   Nobody in the school would believe me so all the teachers kept coming in  to confirm.   
    Called our local zoo and got the same response: "Ya, Ya, I doubt it, but bring it by."

So she about &*%$ her pants when she saw the little fella safely contained.   She sent it to the entomologists at SDSU and we never heard a thing.

I had a coworker from Arizona and she told us the smaller ones are more venomous?   It was about an 1 1/2" long.

And yes, even up here,   I tap my shoes to make sure nothing is sleeping inside of them.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There are TWO species of scorpions in TN, a tan one and a black one. I got hit by a black one when it was a little kid, and even if the sting of the TN scorpions are supposed to be like a honeybee sting, I beg to differ; it hurt a LOT and my hand swelled up pretty good.

Here's what we got. Warning: stupid popup ad.

https://www.hunker.com/12504069/scorpion-species-found-in-tennessee

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,412 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Do you know what kind of scorpion it was? Was it a Bark scorpion? If it was then that would give me the extra double dark willies. :#
    http://www.arizona-leisure.com/arizona-bark-scorpion.html

No, it was a Texas Striped Bark scorpion, about the only kind I've ever seen out here.  Their sting is on par with a bee sting so they say!  I don't wish to find out!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Decided to pop 50 rounds or so out of my 1911 at lunch today.  Grabbed by gun and a box of ammo, stopped by the barn and grabbed some ear protection and walked over to the range.  As I was putting my ear protection something caught my eye in one of the ear cups.  A closer look and there was a scorpion inside the right ear cup.  It's a darn good thing I caught it, I'm sure it wouldn't have ended well for me.  
    No shirt cacalock! You were very lucky!

I think the difference in a scorpion and a bee is the volume. I believe a scorpion has a lot more venom per bite. That gives their bite more swelling and hurts worse.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #15
    Back in the 50s when we moved to Seadrift Texas and lived for a time at the old Hotel Laffite on the bayfront at Seadrift which my family owned, my dad built a boat, a Sears Kit Boat. An Elgin Mahogany Plywood boat. He ordered it from Sears and built it on the porch of the hotel. The kit evidently had scorpions on board. I got stung three times by big striped scorpions. They hurt like hell. My dad got stung a couple of times too and he said they hurt worse than any kind of bug or even a hornet or red wasp.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Mom said when we lived in Texas when Dad was in the Army either during or just after WWII,
    she kept the baby crib legs in a dish of kerosene to keep the scorpions out of the crib.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,984 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #17
    That might explain certain things...

More seriously, that sounds like it would work 100%. No smoking though...

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(