Home Main Category Hunting

Luck!

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
I've often heard people say "I'll take luck over skill anyday" and I'll have to agree. We have a guy in our hunting club that manifests this more than I've ever seen, although he doesn't realize that what he experienced was luck. We have this guy that is a nice guy and will gladly help with anything when asked, but doesn't seem to have much woodcraft or hunting skill, is a horrible shot, and is pretty lazy when it comes to hunting meaning that he does no scouting, setting his own stands, putting out cameras, clearing trails, ect. Essentially he doesn't do any "homework". He helps with all the mandatory work stuff without hesitation so he's not really lazy but he just doesn't make any extra effort to find or harvest a nice animal. We also think he's afraid of the dark as he absolutely will not get in a stand before light and he''l be out of one and back at the camp before total darkness. Essentially, he's usually the last one out and the first one back. Last weekend he harvested a nice deer just 30min after he got in a stand that one of the guys set him up in. Every weekend it's the same story,"Wheres a good place for me to sit?" "I'm not seeing the deer that you guys are seeing and I don't know why." Out of courtesy and a little sympathy, someone always hooks him up with a stand that some nice animals have been spotted near. Last year he shot a nice wall mounter using this technique and last weekend he did it again. On one hand we're all glad for him as shooting a nice animal helps with his self confidence but everyone is getting a little tired with "helping him out". A big saving grace is that he doesn't brag at all but he now feels that all the effort that the rest of us put into hunting is unnecessary as he gets some nice deer without all that work. I strongly suspect that next year, he will be left to his own abilities. I guess this is a little bit of a rant.
Here's a pic of the deer on one of my camera's. He's shown up on three of our camera's and the three of us that have been watching him all put a good bit of effort into trying for him.

1100LS11-12-11033.jpg
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If he's a newbie to hunting and just lacks confidence, that's one thing, but as long as everybody keeps greasing the skids for him he's not likely to progress beyond beginner status. If he's an old hand, his strategy is working- - - -piggyback on everybody else's effort and harvest the goodies. Is he a union man? He might not see anything wrong with that kind of behavior.
    Jerry
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Too true, Teach. I have no problem helping out a new guy get the feel for how things need to go. In fact, I wouldn't be successful if not for one guy in particular really teaching me the craft, butthere comes a point where you have to be left to your own devices. Fisheadgib, I think you guys are down the right path by letting him solve the riddle himself next season. I think then he'll begin to understand the workthat has gone into helping him achieve success. Oh, if he is afraid of the dark, he needs to get over it. There's no way that kind of broad daylight shooting will continue forever.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    I think most of us have had someone like that in our hunting lives...mine was nicknamed "Mooch"...
    It's time to set him down for a little "Come to Jesus" meeting...as long as he can be successful on the backs of others, he's got no reason to develop is own skills...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I've often heard people say "I'll take luck over skill anyday" and I'll have to agree. We have a guy in our hunting club that manifests this more than I've ever seen, although he doesn't realize that what he experienced was luck. We have this guy that is a nice guy and will gladly help with anything when asked, but doesn't seem to have much woodcraft or hunting skill, is a horrible shot, and is pretty lazy when it comes to hunting meaning that he does no scouting, setting his own stands, putting out cameras, clearing trails, ect. Essentially he doesn't do any "homework". He helps with all the mandatory work stuff without hesitation so he's not really lazy but he just doesn't make any extra effort to find or harvest a nice animal. We also think he's afraid of the dark as he absolutely will not get in a stand before light and he''l be out of one and back at the camp before total darkness. Essentially, he's usually the last one out and the first one back. Last weekend he harvested a nice deer just 30min after he got in a stand that one of the guys set him up in. Every weekend it's the same story,"Wheres a good place for me to sit?" "I'm not seeing the deer that you guys are seeing and I don't know why." Out of courtesy and a little sympathy, someone always hooks him up with a stand that some nice animals have been spotted near. Last year he shot a nice wall mounter using this technique and last weekend he did it again. On one hand we're all glad for him as shooting a nice animal helps with his self confidence but everyone is getting a little tired with "helping him out". A big saving grace is that he doesn't brag at all but he now feels that all the effort that the rest of us put into hunting is unnecessary as he gets some nice deer without all that work. I strongly suspect that next year, he will be left to his own abilities. I guess this is a little bit of a rant.
    Here's a pic of the guy on one of my camera's. He's shown up on three of our camera's and the three of us that have been watching him all put a good bit of effort into trying for him.

1100LS11-12-11033.jpg

Is this a joke or what? :silly::troll::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member

Why on earth would you think this is a joke? What am I missing? Do you dance to music that only you can hear? If you're refering to the glowing eyes, it's an IR camera but it emits a faint red glow and some deer look at it but everything that it shoots has glowing eyeballs. Here's a few more pic's of the deer. Note the dates at the bottom of the pics. Incidently, this camera is at a convergence of five different game trails and it's about 15yds from a creek and some hardwoods (acorns/food) and it's adjacent to the thickest patch of woods that we have on the lease. It's about four or five hundred acres of almost impenetrable woods.

1100LS11-12-11037.jpg

1100LS11-12-11097.jpg

1100LS11-12-11109.jpg

1100ladderstand145.jpg

1100LS008.jpg
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    Kid who lived down the road from us sounded like a bull elephant on a pogo stick going thru the woods. imagine our surprise when he said he snuck up on a bedded 12pt buck and shot it . He didn't know how to gut it, so he got another neighbor to help him. The neighbor pulled out 2 slugs. One 20ga and one 12ga....

In other words, he snuck up on a dead deer! :tooth:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    And to your point. I would keep helping the guy. I would just choose his locations more carefully. Like in an area where you have not seen a thing. :tooth:

Mr. Luck: [With his tree stand cinched to a lampost] "Are you sure you're seeing that 35-point non-typical coming through this parking lot?"

Fisheadgib: "Yep. Just sit right here and look toward that overturned shopping cart about an hour before sunset. He'll be right there for the taking"
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    And to your point. I would keep helping the guy. I would just choose his locations more carefully. Like in an area where you have not seen a thing. :tooth:
    This is scary :yikes:

Pierre' posted what I was thinking
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

This guys luck would transcend that. We could put him in the mall parking lot and he would be back at camp 30min later saying "could one of you guys come to the mall and help me get this deer in my truck".
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member

Fishead, I think Snake lost a little in your wording. "Here's a pic of 'the guy'", after ranting about 'the guy' mooching on the skills and advice of others; I take it you're sharing pics of the deer 'the guy' took?
    You may be right as I didn't think of it that way. That's the guy that the guy shot.

There, I edited the wording, but I still think snake occasionally hears music that no one else hears.:jester: