The A's, B's and C's of Handgun Calibers

2»

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

Good cut and paste job- - - - -I read that article about 30 years ago in Gun Digest.  Isn't representing another writer's work as your own without quotation marks called plagiarism?

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    I listened to a report about plagiarism the other day. Apparently younger type kids and even adults that grew up with internet access as an every day norm have difficulties distinguishing the retrieval of information from the presentation of someone elses work as their own.

Maybe we should reduce the OP's final grade as an example to the rest of the class????
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,409 Senior Member
    Teach said:

Good cut and paste job- - - - -I read that article about 30 years ago in Gun Digest.  Isn't representing another writer's work as your own without quotation marks called plagiarism?

Jerry

It's also appropriate to credit the author/publication
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,623 Senior Member
    This is how you take things off the net and give credit were credit is due.

J. Kurt Schreiber wrote:

"It has been proposed that if “A is equal to B, and B is equal to C, then C must be equal to A”

It has also been learned that the handgun is not the best tool for self-defense. A rifle or shotgun are much more effective; hence, we have soldiers issued rifles and only officers and/or specialized troops are issued handguns."  --  Writer Beat

http://www.writerbeat.com/articles/22467-The-A-s-B-s-and-C-s-of-Handgun-Knowledge

If you are J. Kurt Schreiber then cut and paste away.

Although, as it has been suggested, if these words are borrowed from another source (e.g. Gun Digest) then that source needs to be listed as the reference source.

Now I've heard the argument above before, some time back, so it seems to me that it's an old idea but the article you quote is dated (Jun 13, 2018 - 5:55pm) :/

If you're not Mr. Schreiber then you need to get your quotes in order. If you are Mr. Schreiber then I suspect this is an attempt at generating traffic for your blog.

In either case, Bad Form.

Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride... That's why I don't have a career in politics.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,250 Senior Member
    To many choices today, in the 60's it was simple,38/357 or
    45 acp. For over 80 yrs the .45 has dispatched hundreds
    of thousands, possibly second to the commie 7.62x25.
    The only benefit to lessor calibers is magazine capacity.
    Fast forward 80 yrs, the 10mm rules IMO   
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    Could we make up a new buzz phrase???

The reason I have a ten millimeter is because they don't make an eleven🔫
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    I believe the OP is actually original material.  Maybe he can verify this for us?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,221 Senior Member
    I believe the OP is actually original material.  Maybe he can verify this for us?
    Doubtful.

If he IS the author, seems to be a "drive-by" to drive traffic
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    Doubtful.

If he IS the author, seems to be a "drive-by" to drive traffic
    Maybe but he did not violate any rules since there is no link to his site and if it’s his material which I now believe it is, he has the right to post it anywhere he wants.  Again I’ll wait to see if he can verify this.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,409 Senior Member
    I tried to pm the OP...for some reason when I enter "iklwa" in the address line, it just disappears...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

The quote about fighting one's way to a rifle with a handgun is from Jeff Cooper, from the mid 1980's, and a lot of the other comments are of the same vintage.  If it's not plagiarized, it's at the very least a heavily paraphrased version of an article I can distinctly remember reading from that general time frame. 

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Jayhawker said:
    I tried to pm the OP...for some reason when I enter "iklwa" in the address line, it just disappears...
    Did you see his email address?  Seems to check out.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,623 Senior Member

Teach said:

The quote about fighting one's way to a rifle with a handgun is from Jeff Cooper, from the mid 1980's, and a lot of the other comments are of the same vintage.  If it's not plagiarized, it's at the very least a heavily paraphrased version of an article I can distinctly remember reading from that general time frame. 

Jerry

The words Rehash and Heavily Borrowed come to mind.

Speaking of old quotes:

"A handgun is merely a weapon used to fight your way back 
    to your rifle - which you shouldn't have left behind..."
    --
    Boston T. Party Boston's Gun Bible, pg. 25/1

Here's another favorite:

"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- Clint Smith

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/quotations-clint-smith

Which helps me remember this: Mindset -->Tactics --> Skill --> Gear.

Why? Because...

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician. -- Jeff Cooper

http://www.azquotes.com/quote/63853

Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride... That's why I don't have a career in politics.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member
    Well....
    Was the OP the plageristic type and realized he’d been discovered? 
    Was the OP indeed the original author and didn’t like that we  didn’t bow to his superior knowledge? 
    Was it aliens? 
    Was it Trumps fault?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Trumps fault for sure, just ask Alpha
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,643 Senior Member

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,556 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:

This....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,643 Senior Member
    edited June 23 #49
    Dis und Dat.....................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
2»