Additional risks owning, carrying, being seen with firearms

2»

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,582 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    I remember that video, that cop is a murderer. Period. 

Pretty much.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,026 Senior Member
    Not sure I would say "this could happen to any of us", if the report that he was pointing the rifle out the hotel window is accurate.

I do agree with the be discreet, blend in approach mentioned by others. I back my car into the garage to load/unload all the range toys when we go. My garage is set up so there is no view of my safe or reloading equipment from the street. I close the curtains or blinds when I dry fire and such.

Now we live in a townhome community, we are all sorta on top of each other here. People could, if they wanted to, have a pretty good view of me moving up and down the staircase. Would one of my neighbors call 911 because they see me walking down the stairs carrying a rifle? Not sure. Would that bring the police to my door? Don't know.

I guess if it should happen, my only approach would be to hopefully follow instructions better than this young man did. 
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Or- - - - -just maybe- - - - -you could choose to live somewhere that your neighbors aren't complete idiots.  When our one and only bunny hugger in the community for miles around had a stupid attack and made some threats, and then fired his gun in an irresponsible manner, he was the one who ended up going to jail.  It only took him two trips to the crossbars hotel and a suspended sentence for him to sort of get the message.
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,026 Senior Member
    Yeah...there is that also.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    To me, the bottom line is that if you run afoul of some kind of 'Chicken Little' anti-gun activist, and he or she slanders you to a stupid or overly aggressive cop who should not have police credentials in the first place, your options are limited.

First, you have to survive, or their story gets told and yours doesn't. In most cases, the way to do that is to submit immediately and profoundly - nobody seems to understand anything else. Empty hands in the air, etc. If you draw that one in ten thousand 'cowboy,' who has somehow slipped through the cracks of the police screening process, just pray, I guess.

If you survive initial contact, then you just have to hope that the 'good' cops don't circle the wagons to protect the 'bad' cop. It is a significant concern, because good leadership descends from the top, and if so little attention is paid to new recruits that a 'wrong' guy makes it through the selection process, there are probably other problems sprinkled through the department. Gray areas exist, mainly because of the stress added by forcing policemen to be overly sensitive to the politics involved in enforcing the law.
    Police Officers have often been shot.
    Sometimes uniformed officers have shot undercover officers since these are often criminals for all intents and purposes.
    So anyone with concealed carry may find themselves in a somewhat awkward position.
    I have found myself in that  position on occasion and it was uncomfortable to say the least.
    I survived the encounters.

"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,148 Senior Member
    Dr  WHOOO-------welcome back
    This message has been deleted
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,497 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Dr  WHOOO-------welcome back
    Thanks
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 63 Member
    This from a 30 year LEO (retired last year).  

Here is the simplest way to have a positive contact with an officer.  Ready for it?

Don't be a dick from get-go.  Give us (the individual officer) half a chance to not be a dick as well.  I served my entire career in Arizona.  Guns are "no big deal" to 99% of us.  We know you probably have one.  Personally, I didn't worry about it, and especially if someone showed me courtesy and simply volunteered that they had one I appreciated it and likewise reciprocated with "uplevel courtesy".

"Officer, I just want to let you know...I have my permit, and I am carrying.  It is in a holster (or whatever location),  What would you like me to do now?"

"I will make you a deal.  You don't play with yours, I won't play with mine and we will be cool like Fonzie" and I would use humor to lessen the tension.  If the DL, Ins, and Reg were all in order...have a ice night, you just caught a warning rather than a citation.

I can't tell you how much sugar and good will that will have earned you.  This isn't hyperbole at all, I genuinely appreciated the heads up, and unless it was a serious violation (DUI, or 100 in a school zone), you would most likely get the "Go and sin no more" warning and be sent on your way.

I also get that some officers are just dicks, period.  I know.  They leak through.  The truth is...those of us who aren't don't like working with them any more than you like dealing with them.  The secondary truth is that, unless they break the law, or unless they violate policy...there isn't anything we can do about it.  Note:  They usually wind up working traffic enforcement.

I guess I am old fashioned, because I believed in being a peace officer who served the community, rather than a strict law enforcement officer.

ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,591 Senior Member

Here is the simplest way to have a positive contact with an officer.  Ready for it?

Don't be a dick from get-go.  Give us (the individual officer) half a chance to not be a dick as well...
    Absolutely.

I am *ALWAYS* respectful towards any LEO I have contact with for any reason. Why? Because they have a crappy job to start with, and I honestly respect them for it.

I got pulled over a few years back for sneaking up the shoulder to make a right hand turn. Illegal yes, but why sit in totally stopped traffic when the turn off is 50 feet away?

The CHP officer was NOT happy with me. I was polite and told him "Yep, you got me!". Much to my surprise, he let me off with a warning. And yea, I was a lot more cognizant of the situation in the future!

Being a Richard in that situation wouldn't have done me any good whatsoever - he "had" me, what the heck else was I going to say? Unlike a friend who told a cop that he only pulled her over to "meet this month's quota.".  I told her "Yep, and you just helped him meet his quota, if he had one. Talk about the top 10 things NOT to say to a cop!".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 63 Member
    zorba said:

Don't be a dick from get-go.  Give us (the individual officer) half a chance to not be a dick as well...
    Absolutely.

I am *ALWAYS* respectful towards any LEO I have contact with for any reason. Why? Because they have a crappy job to start with, and I honestly respect them for it.

I got pulled over a few years back for sneaking up the shoulder to make a right hand turn. Illegal yes, but why sit in totally stopped traffic when the turn off is 50 feet away?

The CHP officer was NOT happy with me. I was polite and told him "Yep, you got me!". Much to my surprise, he let me off with a warning. And yea, I was a lot more cognizant of the situation in the future!

Being a Richard in that situation wouldn't have done me any good whatsoever - he "had" me, what the heck else was I going to say? Unlike a friend who told a cop that he only pulled her over to "meet this month's quota.".  I told her "Yep, and you just helped him meet his quota, if he had one. Talk about the top 10 things NOT to say to a cop!".
    There are a lot of guys with badges who have holier than thou attitudes.  That is as sure as the crack on your butt...universal fact.  Then...sometimes...you get the otherwise decent guy/gal who has had 10 a-holes in a row (it's not an excuse), but they're strictly business and not in the mood for anything other than license, insurance, registration, here's your citation at that point.  I have been there too.

AND...if you get two people together who are having a bad day at the same moment...ugh.  

My rule was (usually)...if you can genuinely make me laugh, you're probably not getting a ticket...or at least the lowest level of citation I could write. 

Sometimes when command had their knickers in a bunch about enforcement in a particular area and we were not allowed to give too much leeway, then I did what I could but I recognized that both of us would rather be having a different conversation.  NOTE This is NOT a quota, this is merely us being disallowed to cut as many breaks or issue warnings as often (verbal and written warnings are tracked).

My favorite was "I'm a taxpayer, I pay your salary!"

I answered "Cool,  I pay taxes too, so in effect I am self employed.  Press hard, five copies"...and this was still after I had given the guy 4 or 5 chances not to be an ****.

The best, most classic line I ever got was when I pulled a guy over on a Harley Davidson.  He had straight pipes, and he totally rolled a stop sign in a residential neighborhood at the end of my shift when the kids were heading to bus stops, etc.  Normally, in an active school zone I gave no breaks for speed or stop sign violations because...we all have kids right?  Kids aren't all that bright sometimes and they WILL chase that ball into traffic.

Anyway, I asked him if he knew why I pulled him over and he said "You wanted to know if these were Bugle Boy Jeans I was wearing".

I couldn't help it...I broke and laughed out loud.  So, I read him the riot act and gave him a written warning for the rolled stop.

One night at 0200, I pulled over a guy in a teal green 911 doing 83 in a 45 on the fringe of the city as I had cleared another call.  I lit him up, he pulled right over.  He happened to be an African American man...he was nervous...the whole nine yards.

He told me he had a permit, and that he was armed.  He told me where the gun was, etc...he was being polite...but nervous.  I asked him why he was speeding, and he told me he had the car into the dealership because it had a bad shake at 78-80mph so he went out to the particular road he was on because it was never busy, etc to see if they had fixed it.  He showed me the invoice from the dealer.  I handed it back to him with his CCW, DL, INS, and Reg and said "Is it fixed?"

"Um...yeah"

"Okay, slow it down and have a good night".

"You're not gonna write me a ticket?"

"No, do you want me to?"

"Uh...no".

"Kay...we have a deal then.  You slow down, I don't write a ticket.  Have a good night".

He was straight with me, he was understandably nervous, but nothing about him set off my Spidey Senses...his paperwork was all legit.  I cut him a break.  The fact that he happened to be African American had nothing to do with it.  He was straight with me and that allowed me the opportunity to cut him a break.

I mean...big white cop, after midnight, armed African American man in an $80k car...according to the MSM, I would have shot him, then written him a ticket, then shot him again, TASED him, shot him some more, called my beat partner to come over and shoot him, then SWAT to shoot him some more...then finally, call in a K9 to bite him.

Turns out, he was a pro football player with the Cardinals and a few days later a pair of 50 yard line tickets with a meet & greet pass was delivered to the sub station I worked out of.

I couldn't keep the tickets for obvious reasons (and I am not a football fan)...so I gave them to the chaplain who donated them to the Boy's Club.

ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,562 Senior Member
    In a 30+ year EMS career, I've made quite a few friends in law enforcement.

One gave me this small piece of advice, that I took to heart and try to live by.
    He told me, "If I pull you over, and am in the mood to write you a ticket, you're NOT going to talk me out of it. If, on the other hand, I'm not in the mood to write you a ticket, or am undecided, you can talk me INTO it, every time."
    I make it a personal goal to not talk myself INTO a ticket.

The last ticket I got, was in Tennessee for 80 in a 70. I knew I was speeding and that highway patrol Sgt was doing what the good people of TN pay him to do when he pulled me over. He seemed surprised, and appeared to think  I was being sarcastic, when I got out of his car, with my ticket in hand, and told him, "Have a nice day"

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,212 Senior Member
    I have only been pulled over 4 times. I was super nice and respectful every time and got out of 3 of them. 1 of which I had drank too much but was close to home. The 1 that didn't go my way was because I was DRUNK and never should have been driving. I was so respectful and compliant that I had the officer apologizing to me for having to take me in. I learned my lesson after the year long suspension. Treat them with respect and treat them like a human and more than likely you will get a warning. Not every time, but it tilts the odds in your favor as opposed to acting like an entitled idiot.
2»