Home Main Category General Firearms

So much for being "done"

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,805 Senior Member
Couldn't help myself! 

Winchester 70 Youth Ranger 243 short action.  Little beat up but the price was beyond right,  M70 short actions don't pop up very often, especially PF true short actions
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    That round in a push feed action should be a winner from an accuracy standpoint.  You got yourself a great deer rifle, and I can attest from experience that it's plenty to smoke a mulie.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    My pre 64' is a long action with a magazine insert.

A short fast handling rifle can be priceless in the field.👍
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,893 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    That round in a push feed action should be a winner from an accuracy standpoint.  You got yourself a great deer rifle, and I can attest from experience that it's plenty to smoke a mulie.
    Who are you kidding, Dan can't leave anything factory chambered. It will end up a 375 Raptor or somthing :D  

Sako
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    edited June 2018 #5
    sakodude said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Who are you kidding, Dan can't leave anything factory chambered. It will end up a 375 Raptor or somthing :D  

Sako
    True but on this maybe he will use KISS and just AI it.

I'd like to hear how good the steal was ?
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Its a bit of an oddball model.  Ranger LA had blind mags, this has the floor plate. It has the cheap birch wood,  but its set up like the old M70 Lightweight, so it has the Featherweight barrel,  but not the Schnabel.  Its got a fair amount of light surface rust.  Not like huge patches,  but over all speckles. I'm going to break it down today and see if I can buff that out. 

The barrel is 22" but most M70 youth models and compacts had 20". 

Just an unusual compilation of parts. It has the youth LOP but its not uncomfortable, and I'm not too worried about scope eye. 

Once I find my calipers , I'm going to see how much meat is in the muzzle.  Iffin it has enough to bore out to .358 .....
    sakodude said:
    Six-Gun said:

Sako

Hey - at least can't be accused of not trying!  Seriously, though - it's a .243 Win...there isn't much else out there that a man truly needs.
    Its a bit of an oddball model.  Ranger LA had blind mags, this has the floor plate. It has the cheap birch wood,  but its set up like the old M70 Lightweight, so it has the Featherweight barrel,  but not the Schnabel.  Its got a fair amount of light surface rust.  Not like huge patches,  but over all speckles. I'm going to break it down today and see if I can buff that out. 

The barrel is 22" but most M70 youth models and compacts had 20". 

Just an unusual compilation of parts. It has the youth LOP but its not uncomfortable, and I'm not too worried about scope eye. 

Once I find my calipers , I'm going to see how much meat is in the muzzle.  Iffin it has enough to bore out to .358 .....

A few minutes soaking in Kroil and a gentle rub with some 0000 steel wool should take that surface rust off without damaging the intact finish.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Should be a great addition.  In a great caliber, too.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Pretty
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Six-Gun said:
    sakodude said:
    Six-Gun said:

Sako

Hey - at least can't be accused of not trying!  Seriously, though - it's a .243 Win...there isn't much else out there that a man truly needs.

Not even 24 hours and I'm reminded why I stay away from here, i REALLY REALLY REALLY despise this new layout.  

Anyways,  to actually respond,  yes the 243 is awesome.  It really would do much of what needs doin, but, kinda hard sell to use it for everything when I've got the 25-06 I've already invested extra money into. 

Got a Brux 1:8 waiting around for a project,  actually really considered screwing that onto the spare M7 action
    Got her apart.  No signs of rust under the wood.  Everything was I  exposed metal . However,  there are a decent amount of rust pits. Not deep,  but through the blue. I went at the metal for a while and got the rust off, but the pock marks are there.  Gun might be a candidate for painting/coating now.  

Checked the muzzle.  It is JUUUUUST barely thick enough to have it rebored to 358. Might need a snippet taken off for peace of mind.  
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,732 Senior Member
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Mighy be good to shoot it first, before making any changes.

Could be a diamond in the rough.
    Mighy be good to shoot it first, before making any changes.

Could be a diamond in the rough.
    The wise choice, is to never shoot the donor gun. Because then you end up buying another donor gun, because the first one shoots so well haha
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Is used to clean guns like that with steel wool and oil.  Nowadays I just use steel wool and Oxphoblue.  One of the properties of Oxpho is that it dissolves rust and this combined with the steel wool helps even out the finish so you notice the small pits even less.
    Don't be teaching me any new tricks I'm an old dog
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    I'm with Wambi!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: