You ever screw up so bad at work....

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,257 Senior Member
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    Not yet. I was the reason that a crane company was called out one time. It was an honest mistake. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,293 Senior Member
    Not work related but... My biggest blunder evacuated an entire BIG hotel at 3:30 in the morning.  In my defense I was drunk 🤣
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,257 Senior Member
    Not work related but... My biggest blunder evacuated an entire BIG hotel at 3:30 in the morning.  In my defense I was drunk 🤣
    When I was about 6 or 7 years old, I opened the fire escape door on the top floor observation deck of the Sears Tower in Chicago.  It did not cause a full evacuation, but a bunch of people STARTED evacuating.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,874 Senior Member
    Yeah.....I evacuated 2 thousand people in the middle of a work day...."But the alarm tech said the system was in test!"...Just call it another spur of the moment fitr drill....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    I've only been 22 years at it. I got at least ten more to work on it.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,658 Senior Member
    I’ve made multiple  hotel guests call the lobby at 4:00 am and asked why their carpet is wet...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,309 Senior Member
    I pulled a fire alarm at a country hospital when I was 4 or 5.

I don't remember the outcome, other than getting my butt whupped
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,551 Senior Member
    Not me but the biggest oops I’ve seen was a bridge crew using a crane to load and move heavy pieces of steel ,was swinging the boom and over/ under balanced the crane so that it tumbled off the bridge. The line just missed a crewman as it went over and sank into the 30-40 feet of silt under the water. It’s still there if want to dredge it out some how.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,168 Senior Member
    I was running a corrosion test (salt fog chamber) in an aerospace lab. The test runs for 30 days but I wanted to see progress after a week. Instead of evacuating the fog in the chamber, I opened the top and salty steam billowed out. Immediately the fire alarms went off. The 700 employees were evacuated and the FD arrived. After everyone returned to the building, the maintenance supervisor came straight to the lab and confronted me. Apparently the system knows where the alarm originated. The company had to pay for the fire dept call. Not my best moment. 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,835 Senior Member
     No jets were scrambled, but I did rip the driver's side door off of a customer's vehicle backing it out of a stall... with him standing there watching. That one kind of pegged the "****" meter. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    When I used to compete in tactical competitions back in the 90's I'd bring my rifle to work and do dry fire practice drills in my office.  Everyone in the office knew what I was doing and no one had any issues with it.  Well the VP and his admin came in for meetings and I had no idea she was in the office that day.  During lunch she kept hearing the click of the trigger from my office and curiosity got the best of her.  She opened the door looking straight down my barrel of my tactical rifle just as I was tripping the trigger.  I instantly learned what the definition of a conniption fit was!  She screams bloody murder and runs down the office yelling shooter shooter!  

The few sales engineers in the office are in tears laughing as they watched the utter meltdown, shock and hysterics that went on .  The worst part was anyone of them could have stopped her and told her not to go in, but looked intently on as she opened the door.  Then it got quiet when the VP came out of the visitor office.  It took a little bit but we got her settled down and pulse rate under 300.  I apologized profusely to her.  My VP also knew that I practiced in the office and would come out to the ranch occasionally to hunt.  He looks me square in the eyes and said that's what locks are for.  From then on I was told to put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door when I practiced.

Not that I would ever consider it these days, I hate to think of the ramifications!  
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,145 Senior Member
    I did one time throw a bag of popcorn in the microwave and cranked the knob to max.  Went outside to smoke and forgot all about it.  Pretty soon the door flew open with people coming out followed by smoke.  Popcorn turned into a black brick, had to toss the microwave.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 330 Member
    Nothing even close to those examples postes....but, in a previous life I was on a bussines visit to Atlantis and I dropped a little stone in the volcano to see what happens...Does it count? 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    Well there was one I saw once. A coworker and I had to deliver the contents of a sea van container down south. He was driving. We were approaching an overhead pedestrian cat walk bridge. I noticed two young boys behaving suspiciously. As we got close they dropped a big construction brick tied to a rope. Fortunately it missed the cab, but hit the trailer. Unfortunately it somehow managed to rip the kid's arm off. The bad thing is, the police charged my coworker.

Yep, charged him with armed robbery.🙈🚛😈
    Well there was one I saw once. A coworker and I had to deliver the contents of a sea van container down south. He was driving. We were approaching an overhead pedestrian cat walk bridge. I noticed two young boys behaving suspiciously. As we got close they dropped a big construction brick tied to a rope. Fortunately it missed the cab, but hit the trailer. Unfortunately it somehow managed to rip the kid's arm off. The bad thing is, the police charged my coworker.

Yep, charged him with armed robbery.🙈🚛😈
    A similar situation for me, years back.  I witnessed a stabbing... older gentleman was stabbed to death with a broken off radio antenna from the van he was driving. No charges for the attacker though.  The ME decided a disease was the actual cause of death. 

Van aerial disease. 
    George Carlin
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,638 Senior Member
    Not at work, but one time I came home from drinking beer in college about 1980, and put some hot dogs on to boil, and fell asleep.  I woke up to the fire department in my apartment, and black hot dogs in the pot. 

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,088 Senior Member

I evacuated a high school building that covered approximately 10 acres under the roof one night- - - - -who knew that spraying primer in the auto body night class I was teaching could set off the smoke alarm system?  At least 50 community education classes with probably 500 people or more in attendance were in session at the time.  Then, because the system was brand new, nobody knew how to turn the danged klaxons and strobe lights off.

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    It wasn't me, but this happened to one of the vendors a while back

He hooked the rail pulling a pallet or of the top slot and a pallet's worth of diet Dew plummeted 24' to it's death.  No injury, but it took most of the day for him to clean his mess.  He was soaked petty good, so was the reach truck... and pretty much everything else within a surprisingly wide radius. 
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,039 Senior Member
    Once
    I have a need for speed