358 Winchester

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,422 Senior Member
Who all is shooting a 358? I know Jerry has one, I think Zee? Maybe Big Al?

What is everyone's general opinion on the little medium bore? 

I have some brass (and a few hundred 308 brass), and all of my .358" bullets are in the 180-220 range. Wondering if I'd be served just as well with a 358 vs a 35 Whelen (which I have a barrel for, but no dies or brass but 30-06 brass isn't exactly rare). 

You guys that load for it, are you using book loads or pushing it? John Barsness did a test on it in 2008 and pushed it to 308 psi and basically got about 95% of the performance of the Whelen, thinks the factory 358 ammo was downloaded for the Model 88 and Model 100. 
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member
    I've done a little handloading for mine, but will probably use 200 grain Winchester Silver Tip factory ammo this year.  The rifle handles those loads pretty well, giving me just over an inch 3 shot group at 100 yards.  I can live with that.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,207 Senior Member
    I have a 1955 M-70 i bought new in 1960, i have no idea how many head of game iv'e killed using it for over 55 years, I have carried this gun thru the states, Canada, & Alaska. When Sierra came out with there 225 SBT i started using it and since then its the only bullet i load and its never failed on anything i ever shot. I do agree that Win. down loaded it for the M-88 & 100 although i dont think the 100 was ever chambered for it, my load is quite a bit hotter than any book load, but i have never had any signs of hi pressure. My load is W-W cases, Sierra 225 sbt, Federal 210M primer, & 51 gr, IMR 4895 for a chroned velocity of 2559 fps, this out of a 22" bbl. when i first started working up loads i tried IMR 3031 & 4064 but did not get the accuracy or velocity i got with 4895, accuracy is 1" - 1 1/4" for 5 rounds @ 100yds. with a Bushnell 1.5 - 4.5 X 20MM scope. I dont know what rifle you have but if you dont have a Win. or Ruger bolt gun i would stick to book loadings. Hope this helps. 

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member

The model 88 can handle the higher pressures, as it's essentially a bolt action in a lever configuration.  The problem, though, is in the extraction.  The lever is simply not as strong as a bolt when it comes to that.  I have experienced this with my 88s.

Savage also offered the 358 in the 99.  I don't know how the 99 stacks up against bolt rifles when it comes to the pressure they can handle.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,698 Senior Member
    I don't have anything in .35! Thanks for reminding me, now I have something to hunt for when I up in Wisconsin!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,332 Senior Member
    Pretty much anything .308 case based (except the 7-08) I like. So, I love my two .358 Wins.  An Encore rifle w/24” barrel and pistol w/13”barrel. 

I’ve only handloaded 200gr FTX and RN bullets so far. 

I save the 225s for my .338 WM and the 250s for my Whelen. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Big Al I  mixed up you and Jay! 
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    Jerry, yea that is what I had read. It is not the pressure itself, its the extraction issue. Some authors said that might be a part of why it never really caught on. 

Jay, it would be a M70. Thanks for the tip on the 4895, I'll have to check to see if I have some. I have plenty of 4064, might be a little short on 4895, can't remember. 

Zee, what were you seeing from the 24" with those 200's?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,332 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,207 Senior Member

Savage also offered the 358 in the 99.  I don't know how the 99 stacks up against bolt rifles when it comes to the pressure they can handle.

The first .358 i owned was a 1959 savage 99EG, back then i was just starting to handload, the only bullet i used was the Speer 250gr. spitzer, i no longer have any load data but i'm sure i used IMR 3031 and BLC, I do remember that when i got to Speer's max extraction was a little hard, FWIW it had a 2 3/4 Kollmorgen Bear cub with a post reticle, it was a great rifle.

JAY 

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT