Mauser M18

AxeAxe MemberPosts: 369 Member
anyone have any experience with them? My FFL buddy has one in .308 and one in 30-06 for $699. Synthetic stock with butt stock storage compartment and no glass. I am not a fan of the recoil from the 30-06, and something tells me that hollow butt stock will only make it worse. Im thinking if it came with wood furniture it would be a hell of a rifle for the price range. 

Replies

• wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member

There was a nice review of that one in American Rifleman. As a NE hunting rifle, I'd rather have the 243 or 308, if I were in the market.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/1/31/new-for-2018-mauser-m18/

“If gun control laws actually worked, Chicago would be Mayberry!"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,210 Senior Member
    $699 is MSRP. Gunbroker and other online sellers have them for $50+ dollars cheaper, if price is something you're looking at.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    edited June 15 #4
    Here's a site to check out the details:

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 369 Member
    tennmike said:
    $699 is MSRP. Gunbroker and other online sellers have them for $50+ dollars cheaper, if price is something you're looking at.
    Price isn't an issue, but hey, if I can save $50 on the rifle, im game. I have not seen many around, and my buddy has a few of them so I may trade one in and pay the difference. I usually get good deals from this shop. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,210 Senior Member
    I support doing business with a local shop whenever I can. Trading in one you don't use anymore for one you one is a decent plan, too!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 762 Senior Member
    Haven't seen an 18 over here yet but I have a mate with a M12 in 6.5x55, have tried to buy if off him more than once
    better trigger than my Sakos in that caliber and just as accurate.
    The M18 looks to be competing with Tikka T3(x) and Sauer 100.
    I'd be willing to bet some of your money it will compete accuracy wise.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    wizard78 said:

There was a nice review of that one in American Rifleman. As a NE hunting rifle, I'd rather have the 243 or 308, if I were in the market.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/1/31/new-for-2018-mauser-m18/

Rich has one in .308 which may be the route I go since I have multiple 30-06 already. The 30-06 and .308 will not give me any difference in performance hunting in these parts, especially since we are heavily wooded, mountainous and longest shots may only be 300 yards or so. Ballistics wise its a crap shoot between the two calibers. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    There's an article about this rifle in the August G&A magazine.
    There's an article about this rifle in the August G&A magazine.

page 58 as a matter of fact. I am reading it as we speak! 

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    It sounded like a good rifle in the article. Even allowing for the pandering nature of such reviews.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,011 Senior Member
    edited July 6 #12
    This months NRA magazine has a review on Frianchi’s new bolt action rifle.  Like the Mauser, it sounds nice.

My main concern would be parts (and accessories) as both of these rifles age.  
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    MOA guaranteed for 5 shot groups!  Damn!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton