At lunch today...

RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 75 Member
...my wife and I were sitting at our table when the owner walked by, noticed my 1911, and said, "Nice Kimber!"  I looked at him, smiled, and said, "This is NOT a Kimber, and don't ever insult me like that again!"  He sarcastically said, "Well excuuuuuuuse me!  What is it then?"  I said, "Springfield TRP."  He said, "Oh!  Is it a 9?"  I said, "Buddy, you keep digging this hole, and I'm gonna start filling it in.  It's a 10mm."  Of course I was joking, and he knew it.  As I said, he is the owner of the restaurant, and I was one of two electricians that wired it up for him.  He came back about 5 minutes later with a free appetizer and said, "Don't worry, that mistake won't ever happen again!"  I laughed, told him thanks, and he sat down and we talked about guns for the next 30 minutes. 

He had no idea that you don't need a license to open carry in Colorado.  Tomorrow, he is going to start wearing his .357 whenever he's not at work.  And he's going to look into getting his CC class done as well.  Told him it's about time!  
Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    Maybe a life saving exchange?

Hopefully not, but you never know.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,573 Senior Member
    Where in CO you from Raptortrapper? I’m a Larimer county dweller my self. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 75 Member
    I used to live over there for 14 years.  Greeley, Loveland, Ft Collins, Berthoud, and Wellington were all "home" at one point or another.  I'm now on the Western slope in Rifle, which is an hour east of Grand Junction.  Still get over there to Greeley on a regular basis as I have a lot of family there.
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
    I sometimes drive through rifle on the way home from elk hunting. Never stopped except for gas though.

Been hunting the area at mile marker 34 along the Buford Newcastle rd for 22 years.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,573 Senior Member
    I used to live over there for 14 years.  Greeley, Loveland, Ft Collins, Berthoud, and Wellington were all "home" at one point or another.  I'm now on the Western slope in Rifle, which is an hour east of Grand Junction.  Still get over there to Greeley on a regular basis as I have a lot of family there.
    We can grab some coffe next time your over the hill. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    We can grab some coffe next time your over the hill. 
    Will do!!
    I sometimes drive through rifle on the way home from elk hunting. Never stopped except for gas though.

Been hunting the area at mile marker 34 along the Buford Newcastle rd for 22 years.
    Yup!  I know exactly where that is.  I've taken a few critters there myself.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,330 Senior Member
    ...my wife and I were sitting at our table when the owner walked by, noticed my 1911, and said, "Nice Kimber!"  I looked at him, smiled, and said, "This is NOT a Kimber, and don't ever insult me like that again!"  
    🙄
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,115 Senior Member
    Go figure. You can open carry without a license. You can smoke dope if a Dr says so. But, you can’t have more that 10 round Mag. Or something to that effect. 

Yeah. I’ve given up on that state 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,115 Senior Member
    In regards to Kimber/SA........I have both and like both. 

If if I had to choose, though. I prefer the features and options on SA. 

Good deal on the owner being cool about Open Carry. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited July 7 #12
    18 rounds on the magazine limit.  But yeah, this state has gone about full on stupid.

Didn't mean to start a Kimber / SA debate.  I just haven't had good luck with Kimbers.  If ya carry a Kimber, I suppose it's better than throwing rocks... Barely!  ;) :D
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,330 Senior Member
    I have several Kimbers with thousands of rounds thru them.  No problems whatever.  

If you don’t mean to start a debate, stop trash-talking.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    edited July 7 #14
    Ok ok . Didn't mean to step on your toes.  I know there are plenty of people that like them, or Glock, or anything else.  We all have our favorites.  My appologies.  We are all on the same team here.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,370 Senior Member

Had lunch a few times at shooters, always thought Rifle was the best town in Colorado.

Used to camp at triangle park, shot my first Colorado elk and muley there in 67, got my biggest muley up piceance creek it was nothing compared to the one in the Buford store.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    Well, that escalated quickly.
    edited July 7 #17
    Rifle is my favorite of all the places I've lived during my lifetime.  It has everything I need.  Fishing, hiking, hunting, gun range, and the bonus is it's a small town!  Bigger than where I grew up, but still not bad.  

Shooters isn't bad at all.  Some other really good places to eat, but Shooters is the "famous" one.  
    edited July 7 #18
    That store in Buford is long gone Jay. Some years ago I met my Dad and his brother up there for an elk hunt. We went in the store. The old guy that owned it was mad at some hunters that neglected to shut the door and we closed it for him. I spied a picture on the wall of a young man with a real big fish, and scrutinized the photo and the stores owner carefully. Finally I asked the obvious question. He told us quite a recollection of that area some thirty to forty years ago. A couple years later he passed on. His heirs closed the store, but still rent the cabins.
    Ive not owned or even fired a SA or a Kimber. You guys should consider yourselves fortunate.🔫
    edited July 7 #20
    I said kinda the same thing to a guy at the range several years ago.  Said I hoped to be able to get one of those Dan Wessons some day.  He said, "Well, change your priorities, and you will." Kinda made me mad, and he saw that.  He said, "Wait, let me explain.  Do you smoke, chew tobacco, drink alcohol, party, drive fast cars, or do anything else that takes a steady flow of income to support?" I said, "Well, yeah.  I do Falconry." He said, "Okay! So if the money you put towards Falconry went towards shooting, would you be able to get one of these?"  Then the lightbulb came on.
    It's hard to pick out which exorbitant luxuries to sacrifice.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,999 Senior Member
    Try Belly Dancing sometime. Expensive as all get-out. I had a dress just decorated - not made, I had done that - just decorated and it cost $200! And you can call that "cheap at twice the price" for what I ended up with.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    I’ve had great luck with every (and there have been quite a few) Kimber product I’ve ever owned and love all their guns both pistols and rifles.  Sorry to say I’ve never owned a SA 1911 but I will fix that some day.  But you are right about priorities.  Owning anything on earth is dependent on how bad do you want it.  Actually for my upcoming birthday my wife has given me a NICE generous budget for a gift and instead of going too extravagant I’m thinking a Raptor UltraCarry as my next EDC gun.  Just like the way it looks.  I’ll spend the balance on some other goodies...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,748 Senior Member
    18 rounds on the magazine limit.  But yeah, this state has gone about full on stupid.

Didn't mean to start a Kimber / SA debate.  I just haven't had good luck with Kimbers.  If ya carry a Kimber, I suppose it's better than throwing rocks... Barely!  ;) :D
    15 rounds*
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Its the people here that distort the light of day. Just ran up to the pharmacy. Everyone's in an aggressive mad dash until the monsoon pours down. Then they're scrared to go outside and freeze up at the exit. Been 100° here all afternoon. I'll soak up some rain.

If I can get through the door😕

15 rounds*
    Yup!  You're right.  Where did I get 18??? Oh well....  Wishful thinking maybe.