First try at painting a stock

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,748 Senior Member
I started by sanding like crazy,  priming, screwing up,  sanding,  priming,  screwing up again....but I finally got 3 good coats of primer on it. 

Started with brown hi temp paint (not as matte, may need to repaint) asv the base coat. Then khaki and a little black on top of burlap wrap from the craft section. 

Going to let it sit for a few days before deciding if I want to redo it with a more matte brown. But pending that's good,  I will matte clear coat. Maybe that'll take a little sheen off the brown.  

Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,748 Senior Member
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,399 Senior Member
    I think it looks pretty good.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Thanks! 

I also added texture to the grip. I put on several thick layers quicky, then used my hand after it started drying to make it all rippled. Taped it off and sanded the rest/primed/painted
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member
    Yep. I can dig it. 👍
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,277 Senior Member
    That'll do. What are you going to sneak up on with it?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    That's the MPI stock for my 25-06. So, goats and deer. 
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,556 Senior Member
    Nice.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,399 Senior Member

A little tip for the next time you want to texture an area is to  mask the area around it and use "wrinkle paint". I've done entire stocks with it and it works great.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
     Nice work, I like it!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,221 Senior Member
    Looks good Dan
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    That looks pretty dang good!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,011 Senior Member
    edited June 27 #14

A little tip for the next time you want to texture an area is to  mask the area around it and use "wrinkle paint". I've done entire stocks with it and it works great.
    I would think painting over athletic tape might give him a nice texture on the grip.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,372 Senior Member
    Good hustle! Fun to do those kind of projects. What action goes in it?
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • neosamneosam New Member Posts: 28 New Member
    Nice work! Had good results using krylon type paints before.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,227 Senior Member
    Looks good. I would probably have painted the grip smooth (like the rest of the stock) and then added some strips of grip tape, but it probably would not have looked better.
    bellcat said:
    Good hustle! Fun to do those kind of projects. What action goes in it?
    Winchester M70, push fed in 25-06. Gun has already been bedded to this stock, so once I get the clear coats finished I can start load development in the next week or so. It shot pretty dang good with Federal Fusion 120 gr last fall, and that was with the cheap factory tupper-ware, so I'm pretty confident in a stable platform it'll do even better
    Almost finished product!
    NICE!!!!!  Who did your bolt?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Twisted Barrel in Douglas,  WY. They had a special going,  I think it was 25 or 30 bucks.  I had 2 done.  The other bolt is going in my 270 when it gets magnumized (532 bolt, easier to swap bolts than opening up)
    Nice!  I want to have my 7mm-08 bolt done.
    They had a pretty quick turn around, I believe it was less than 2 weeks. I just got the basic twist pattern, but they have a ton. It does make a slight sound going over the follower, but not bad. Just an interesting noise. I haven't tried it with cartridges, I can't imagine that'll make any extra noise. The weight reduction was very minor, but, I think it looks cool
    They had a pretty quick turn around, I believe it was less than 2 weeks. I just got the basic twist pattern, but they have a ton. It does make a slight sound going over the follower, but not bad. Just an interesting noise. I haven't tried it with cartridges, I can't imagine that'll make any extra noise. The weight reduction was very minor, but, I think it looks cool
    It does look cool and I'd like the bolt handle skeletonized too.  Every ounce counts... 😎
    I'm pretty sure they do bolt handles too. The list of stuff they do for Rem is larger than anything else