The new .223 Rem is up and running!!

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    About to do some stock swapping before I hit the range. 
    That’s not science. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,115 Senior Member
    I can always reshoot the factory ammo. 

Just dont like that Magpul Hunter Stock. 

I put an AICS on it. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Thats too bad, I really like the Magpul stock I dropped my 10-22 into.  

I really don't need a removable magazine on my 700.  It is used 99% of the time at the range and I load one at a time.
    I don't use the safety either, just don't close the bolt until ready to shoot, but the Timney safety works fine if needed

Time for more research?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I put an AICS on it. 
    That’s just cheating... 🤣
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Zee said:

I put an AICS on it. 
    That’s just cheating... 🤣
    Wait ‘till you see these results!
    😳
    I miss the popcorn emoji...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,221 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Wait ‘till you see these results!
    😳
    :popcorn:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Still not liking the Magpul Stock, I did some swapping this afternoon.

Took the AICS stock off my .243 Medium and replaced it with an HS Precision as I don’t really need a detachable Mag in that rifle. 

Put the AICS on the new .223 Remington, grabbed my handloads and science loads, and headed to the range. 

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,733 Senior Member
    I like the look, but I am guessing you took an 8 lb rifle and turned it into a 12 lb rifle to shoot lightweight .223's accurately.  Forgive me for stating the obvious, but my goal would be a lightweight accurate gun for a lightweight round.  Since you have indicated you have no interest in p-dogs, I am betting this is for your boy and a stationary location, for pigs or deer, etc, with heavier than 62 gr bullets.   I think you can get this rig in much lighter and still be just as accurate...  just a thought.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    No, this is for me. The boy has the Ruger’s American Ranch Rifle for a light weight gun. 
    Will the magpul bottom metal work with a standard stock like an HS Precission or B&C?  Looks like it would...
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,192 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:
    I like the look, but I am guessing you took an 8 lb rifle and turned it into a 12 lb rifle to shoot lightweight .223's accurately.  Forgive me for stating the obvious, but my goal would be a lightweight accurate gun for a lightweight round.  Since you have indicated you have no interest in p-dogs, I am betting this is for your boy and a stationary location, for pigs or deer, etc, with heavier than 62 gr bullets.   I think you can get this rig in much lighter and still be just as accurate...  just a thought.

D
    So by your logic, a small round has to be in a light platform? 
    Oooooooolookaaaaaaayyyyyy
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Will the magpul bottom metal work with a standard stock like an HS Precission or B&C?  Looks like it would...
    Yes. You just have to do some reaming of the stock with a dremel tool. 

Ive done 3 of them. 
    After changing the stock, making some handloads, pulling some factory bullets and reseating some handloaded bullets, these are my results. I’m a happy camper. 

Zee said:
    Yes. You just have to do some reaming of the stock with a dremel tool. 

Ive done 3 of them. 
    COOL!  Good info, thanks!

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Wow, Most Excellent results. But was it the cartridge or stock?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Diver43 said:
    Wow, Most Excellent results. But was it the cartridge or stock?
    See my other thread about the “Science Project” if pulling and reseating bullets. 

I did a before and after with the new stock as well. 
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,748 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    I LOVE IT. 

Other than the bolt knob that looks like a shorn scrotum. 

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,733 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    BigDanS said:

D
    Not at all.  What I am saying is that rig is overbuilt, and the same accuracy could be achieved in a lighter rig.  Whatever floats your boat.  I certainly could see that rig for a .308, but it is my opinion it is overbuilt and heavier than it needs to be for an accurate .223.  Having said that, Zee could hit a potato at 800 yards with almost any gun.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I like heavy guns. They are easier to shoot. And the weight is comforting. 
    BigDanS said:
    cpj said:
    BigDanS said:

D
    Not at all.  What I am saying is that rig is overbuilt, and the same accuracy could be achieved in a lighter rig.  Whatever floats your boat.  I certainly could see that rig for a .308, but it is my opinion it is overbuilt and heavier than it needs to be for an accurate .223.  Having said that, Zee could hit a potato at 800 yards with almost any gun.

D
    For conversation sake, what would you change?  This is how I like it. But, I’m interested in what would make you tick. 
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,080 Senior Member
    Why try to make a 24” heavy contour barrel rifle lighter? If you put that barreled action in a super light weight stock it just becomes extremely front heavy and awkward. 

If you are thinking about toting it over hill and dale then a proper sling (https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/121313/magpul-ms4-gen-2-multi-mission-single-point-2-point-sling-with-dual-qd-swivels-nylon?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shooting%20-%20Slings&utm_content=121313&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting%20-%20Slings-_-Magpul-_-121313&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhN68nqOS3AIVColpCh36SwTYEAQYASABEgJfLvD_BwE ) or one similar makes it a lot better. An Eberlestock pack would be even more better.  
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I’ve got shorter and lighter walking .223 Remington’s. This is more a target/distance gun. 

I wanted the longer threaded barrel. This is my first 24” .223. 
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,080 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I’ve got shorter and lighter walking .223 Remington’s. This is more a target/distance gun. 

I wanted the longer threaded barrel. This is my first 24” .223. 
    I get what you are after. I agree with you. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,664 Senior Member
    Did you try the GD's again after the stock switch ?
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,454 Senior Member
    I like it.  Well done.  
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    edited July 9 #60
    Weatherby said:
    Did you try the GD's again after the stock switch ?
    Yes. 

See the science project thread. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Zee said:
    This!!! But I do have a couple that are light for hunting. Range work gimme a 10 pound rifle. It just doesn't move.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.