All time favorite western movie actor(s)

2»

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,608 Senior Member
    With the training Keanu put into John Wick, he should do some........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • marlin spikemarlin spike New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    Now one has mentioned Charles Bronson
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,552 Senior Member
    edited July 5 #34
    Gila said:
    knitepoet said:
    Gila said:
    Cabela's used to carry that rifle, but I don't know if they still do.  It's a single shot 45-120... 
    he said it was a 45-110-540 in the movie
    I think you're right about the caliber.  I checked Cabela's to see if they still carry it, and they only have a 45-70 version of it now.
    The original movie rifle was made by Shiloh Rifle and is still available, in 45/70 and 45/110.
    https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sharps-rifle/1874-hartford-clone-en/
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • GilaGila Posts: 164 Member
    olesniper said:
    Gila said:
    knitepoet said:
    Gila said:
    Cabela's used to carry that rifle, but I don't know if they still do.  It's a single shot 45-120... 
    I think you're right about the caliber.  I checked Cabela's to see if they still carry it, and they only have a 45-70 version of it now.
    The original movie rifle was made by Shiloh Rifle and is still available, in 45/70 and 45/110.
    Thanks for the info!  I may get one some day, but $3,500 is mighty steep.  I wonder who made the one Cabela's carried, because it was about 2 grand less.
    To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Robert Duvall, Gene Hackman, George Kennedy, dean Martin, Jimmy Stewart, Charles Bronson, etc
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,540 Senior Member
    Silver
    Trigger
    Bullet
    Rin Tin Tin
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,254 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    olesniper said:
    Gila said:
    knitepoet said:
    Gila said:
    Thanks for the info!  I may get one some day, but $3,500 is mighty steep.  I wonder who made the one Cabela's carried, because it was about 2 grand less.
    They used to be Pedersollis and their pricing has gone through the roof on those.  The days of finding them for reasonable money are over.  Uberti makes a "Down Under" version for $2,500.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,651 Senior Member
    The original Quigly rifle was/is on display at the Bass Pro museum here. I got to see it, and drool. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,515 Senior Member

Let's throw in Festus Hagan while we're at it. :)

Ken Curtis was John Ford's son in law.

Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 643 Senior Member
    edited July 9 #41
    WHAT??  Ok my age is gonna show but shoot, everyone knows I'm older than dirt but here goes....Hopalong Cassidy, Andy Devine, Ward Bond, Cisco Kid and Pancho, Maureen O'Hara (Maclintoc), Clint Walker, Gene Autry, Annie Oakley star and I can't remember name, Guy that played paladin,  Dale Evans, Sky King and Penny, Sergeant Preston, Jack Palance, and Jimmy Stewart.  There are many more I can visualize but can't recall their names.  Told you I'm older than dirt, LOL!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,515 Senior Member
    Juan Carrillo and Duncan Reynaldo...Pancho and Cisco.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    I didn't see Burt Lancaster mentioned, so some of you may have missed these, among several others I don't recall:

The Unforgiven
    Lawman
    Ulzana's Raid
    Valdez is Coming
    The Professionals

Also, Kirk Douglas made some good ones (and some bad ones)
    Rory Calhoun made some decent ones.

Joel McCrea was one of the best horseback riders, ever, as was Gary Cooper, and of course Ben Johnson.

Walter Brennan was the best sidekick in the business, western or not.

John Ireland was a good supporting actor, as was John McIntire
    Alan Ladd was pretty good
    Jack Elam played some great western parts

Leo Gordon, R. G. Armstrong, Robert Wilke, and Morgan Woodward were the best western villains ever.

Bruce Cabot, Harry Carey, Sr. and and Millard Mitchell were old time stars that lasted into the era of the really good westerns in the 40's and 50's.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,426 Senior Member
    +1 on Val Kilmer.  One movie made him a western legend.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • GilaGila Posts: 164 Member
    bisley said:
    I didn't see Burt Lancaster mentioned, so some of you may have missed these, among several others I don't recall:

The Unforgiven
    Lawman
    Ulzana's Raid
    Valdez is Coming
    The Professionals

Also, Kirk Douglas made some good ones (and some bad ones)
    Rory Calhoun made some decent ones.

Joel McCrea was one of the best horseback riders, ever, as was Gary Cooper, and of course Ben Johnson.

Walter Brennan was the best sidekick in the business, western or not.

John Ireland was a good supporting actor, as was John McIntire
    Alan Ladd was pretty good
    Jack Elam played some great western parts

Leo Gordon, R. G. Armstrong, Robert Wilke, and Morgan Woodward were the best western villains ever.

Bruce Cabot, Harry Carey, Sr. and and Millard Mitchell were old time stars that lasted into the era of the really good westerns in the 40's and 50's.
    I already mentioned him, but I need to add that Rex Allen was a real cowboy from Willcox, Arizona, and the name of his horse was Koko. 
    To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    “Mine hit the ground first.”

”Mine was taller!”
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • 88Glock88Glock Posts: 4 New Member
    John Wayne and Clint Eastwood!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,872 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    olesniper said:
    Gila said:
    knitepoet said:
    Gila said:
    The rifle carried by Cabela's is made by Pedersoli..
    ..a
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Gila said:
    olesniper said:
    Gila said:
    knitepoet said:
    Gila said:
    They used to be Pedersollis and their pricing has gone through the roof on those.  The days of finding them for reasonable money are over.  Uberti makes a "Down Under" version for $2,500.
    Interestingly....Uberti Sharps are re-branded Pedersolis..... Don't think that has changed in the last few years...The handguns that Pedersoli sells are re-branded Ubertis...
    "That was quick...". " Yeah...everybody could shoot..."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,835 Senior Member
    Clint is probably my favorite, but I like them all!  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
2»