Whatcha gonna use?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    edited June 23 #32
    Six-Gun said:
    I got my flintlock fix met for a while over the past couple of seasons between my mule deer, turkey and bear in their respective season.  So, the coming deer seasons will probably see me try to blood a few modern guns that need blooding:

.375 H&H custom Rem 700

.300 Win Mag Tikka T3

.30-30 Win Marlin lever rifle

Two of the three and serious overkill for any deer, but they need to get out of the safe and be productive.
    Ain't no such word as ain't and ain't no such thang as over kill. I"ve got a .300 WBY Mag. that's faster than the .300 Win Mag. I've had it for about 6 years and all it's killed is three white tailed deer. Two by my Son In Law out in West Texas and one spike by my oldest grand son. It didn't blow them up and we actually ate them. .300 mags., as a group, all make great deer rifles. Hey, I know one guy here with a buddy of his, killed a small doe with a 4 something. It didn't vaporize it.

And hey, my buddy up until he screwed his shoulder up a few years back used his .375 H&H on deer. He killed more than a few with it and ate every one of them. I ask him,"Why do you use such a cannon on deer?" His answer, "I don't like to see them run away!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    edited June 23 #33
    The thing is, snake, I actually have seen much shorter runs with the smaller cartridges than I have with big ones.  The mule deer and antelope that I hit with my .243 took zero steps after impact.  The bear that I hit with a .62 cal ball actually ran 100+ yards after impact with a MASSIVE hole through both lungs.  It was the same case with a doe hit with a 30-06 a few years back.  She was hit hard and found nearly 100 yards in her after impact.  

In my experience, shot placement trumps caliber every time when it comes to tracking them, and bullet size is no assurance of a short tacking job.  Accordingly, if I can get the job done with a smaller round and not take the beating, most of the time I will.  I make exceptions when I simply want to try a new gun out, but I won't make a habit of it.  All that said, your mileage may vary...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 75 Member
    I like big bores myself.  My favorite revolvers are a 45 Colt and a 500 JRH.  The 45 Colt isn't exactly a big bore, but it can sure act like one when loaded hot in a Ruger super Blackhawk!

Interesting firearms to be used this fall!  Looking forward to how it all turns out.
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
    Lately I haven't commented on my 7x57 build, but when I tried to get it into the stock it had serious fit problems. I am slowly taking wood off to get it down into the stock. Right now I'm kinda burned out on it. I feel I'll get reinspired soon. Just needed a rest.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,116 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    In my experience, shot placement trumps caliber every time when it comes to tracking them, and bullet size is no assurance of a short tacking job.  Accordingly, if I can get the job done with a smaller round and not take the beating, most of the time I will.  I make exceptions when I simply want to try a new gun out, but I won't make a habit of it.  All that said, your mileage may vary...
    THIS!!!!!

Every day of the week and twice on every day of the weekend!!!!

Man speaks truth. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,221 Senior Member
    edited June 24 #37
    I've found mid-weight, for caliber, cup & core bullets (120-123gr 6.5mm, 140gr, 7mm, 150gr 30cal) at moderate velocities (2300-2700) seems to give me my best terminal performance from "mid-bores"

The 'wulf gets 335 plated HPs @ 1800fps and doesn't care. It just smacks game like a hammer and they fall down and "play" dead... PERMANENTLY

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

snake284 said:
    Lately I haven't commented on my 7x57 build, but when I tried to get it into the stock it had serious fit problems. I am slowly taking wood off to get it down into the stock. Right now I'm kinda burned out on it. I feel I'll get reinspired soon. Just needed a rest.

Taking a break is definitely a good move.  I have made plenty of mistakes trying to hurry up and get a project like that done.  In the end, you'll have another excellent chambering on your hands that is more than capable of getting the job done without being punishing.  I don't own a 7x57, but I do own a similar chambering in the 7mm-08, and it's assuredly a great round.
    edited June 24 #39
    Zee said:
    Six-Gun said:
    THIS!!!!!

Every day of the week and twice on every day of the weekend!!!!

Man speaks truth. 

I know you've seen it at least as many times as I have.  Critters are strange and sometimes they will take off for a long sprint with a hole through them that you could shine a flashlight through from a massive bullet.  In the same breath, you can dump one through the heart or lungs with a small round like they've been struck by a lightning bolt.  
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,154 Senior Member
    I am strongly considering making this lever gun deer season.

Marlin 336 - 30/30

Henry Big Boy Steel - 41 magnum 

Sadly neither is supressor ready, and I am becoming a suppressor zealot.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,221 Senior Member
    41magnut said:
    Sadly neither is supressor ready, and I am becoming a suppressor zealot.
    They ARE addictive
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    I've found mid-weight, for caliber, cup & core bullets (120-123gr 6.5mm, 140gr, 7mm, 150gr 30cal) at moderate velocities (2300-2700) seems to give me my best terminal performance from "mid-bores"

The 'wulf gets 335 plated HPs @ 1800fps and doe.

I like rifles of mid bore and medium high velocity. But after using the 9.3 x 62 and seeing what it does to medium game, the Wulf sounds right up my alley.
    edited June 25 #43
    Six-Gun said:
    snake284 said:

Taking a break is definitely a good move.  I have made plenty of mistakes trying to hurry up and get a project like that done.  In the end, you'll have another excellent chambering on your hands that is more than capable of getting the job done without being punishing.  I don't own a 7x57, but I do own a similar chambering in the 7mm-08, and it's assuredly a great round.
    I've joked with people that joke with me when they own a 7-08 and they tell me the .270 is a woman's gun, I fire back that the 7-08 is the ultimate woman's gun. But in truth, I have loved the idea of the 7-08 since it came out. I always wanted one in a Remington Model 7. Still do. It's an excellent round. I remember that Remington standardized it in 1979 or 1980, can't remember right now, to shoot metalic silhouette competition. But I saw other possibilities. Not buying into the long range (600-1000 yard stuff) for a normal range (for me) 100-500 yard deer rifle it fits my bill for a light weight rifle. It's more of a higher pressure round than the 7x57 because  the latter has been chambered in so many older weaker Military Mausers (Not 98s) that have been sporterized and are still being sporterized. But I'm a firm believer that in a modern strong bolt action it is equal to or even maybe potentially faster than the 7-08, especially with heavier bullets. It holds about 3-5 more grains powder. But that's not what I wanted a 7x57 for. I mainly wanted one for the aesthetics. Someday I'll have a nice 7-08 just because it's such a great rifle, and with factory ammo it is definitely a better choice than the 7x57.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,748 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    For deer I have several possibilities from .250 Savage up to .9.3x62. But seeing as I just picked up my .new to me 7x57 on a commercial  Mauser action, that's probably going to be first off for this season.

Use the 7x57!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I have a lathe variety of tags this year,  so, in order by season

Elk - .50 cal inline.  Going to try and get the triumph shooting good,  but I have the old reliable Encore load ready to go. 

Bear - 375 H&H pending nothing else gets finished or bought before then.  Not that I need it for bear, but , I have it so why not

Antelope - most likely a 243, either the Encore with the EAB barrel or the new Win 70. Or the 25-06

Deer CO - 275 Rigby if its done and weather is dry. 25-06 if its not or tree weather is wet.

Deer MT - 25-06 and the 270 Win. 270 Wby if I get the rechamber done. 
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    edited June 25 #46
    snake284 said:
    For deer I have several possibilities from .250 Savage up to .9.3x62. But seeing as I just picked up my .new to me 7x57 on a commercial  Mauser action, that's probably going to be first off for this season.

Use the 7x57!
    There you are! I've been trying to lure you out of your lair for weeks. Anyway, that's what I'm saying, the 7x57 is first up this year. I'll use it til I kill a deer or 2. I'm still fitting the barreled action into the stock you sent me. That stock was for a Military Mauser no doubt. Some differences with the Zastava. I've been taking a break on it lately, but I'm onto the problem. The high spot is right about 3/4 an inch from the base of the barre out from the action ring. I'm removing about 1/8" extra wood and I'll bed it in with epoxy mixed with metal dust.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 559 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Six-Gun said:
    snake284 said:

I've joked with people that joke with me when they own a 7-08 and they tell me the .270 is a woman's gun, I fire back that the 7-08 is the ultimate woman's gun. But in truth, I have loved the idea of the 7-08 since it came out. I always wanted one in a Remington Model 7. Still do. It's an excellent round. I remember that Remington standardized it in 1979 or 1980, can't remember right now, to shoot metalic silhouette competition. But I saw other possibilities. Not buying into the long range (600-1000 yard stuff) for a normal range (for me) 100-500 yard deer rifle it fits my bill for a light weight rifle. It's more of a higher pressure round than the 7x57 because  the latter has been chambered in so many older weaker Military Mausers (Not 98s) that have been sporterized and are still being sporterized. But I'm a firm believer that in a modern strong bolt action it is equal to or even maybe potentially faster than the 7-08, especially with heavier bullets. It holds about 3-5 more grains powder. But that's not what I wanted a 7x57 for. I mainly wanted one for the aesthetics. Someday I'll have a nice 7-08 just because it's such a great rifle, and with factory ammo it is definitely a better choice than the 7x57.
    My first bigger game taken was a cow Nilgai in southern Texas, when I was 12.  I was supposed to use my 9.3x62 but ran into issues with the plastic stock distorting and a great lack of accuracy.  The plastic stock was only temporary since I was going to outgrow it in short order.  I had to switch to using a 7mm-08 by dad had built.  It ended up being a neck shot due to the vegetation, but it did the job.  

I need to reshape the stock, but I have a Zastava M70 in 7mm-08 that has potential to be a good shooter.  I still want a M98 based 6.5x55 though.
    Hey Snake, I have a spare M7 action sitting around.....since you've always wanted a 7-08 Model 7......
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,866 Senior Member
    Only two for sure that I know I am going to use:
    7mm Dakota XP for cow elk
    S&W 44 Mag  cow or bull elk
    The Dominator may come out to play again, and the 7mm LRM may show up for some doe deer as well.
    Chance of a 6.5-284 and or a 6mm-284 as well
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Hey Snake, I have a spare M7 action sitting around.....since you've alw
    ?
    How much you want for it?
    Six-Gun said:
    The thing is, snake, I actually have seen much shorter runs with the smaller cartridges than I have with big ones.  The mule deer and antelope that I hit with my .243 took zero steps after impact.  The bear that I hit with a .62 cal ball actually ran 100+ yards after impact with a MASSIVE hole through both lungs.  It was the same case with a doe hit with a 30-06 a few years back.  She was hit hard and found nearly 100 yards in her after impact.  

I agree six, but that's a different argument. My .270 is no elephant gun and has killed most of what it has been aimed at.

What I'm saying here is there's no such thing as over kill.
    snake284 said:
    Hey Snake, I have a spare M7 action sitting around.....since you've alw
    ?
    How much you want for it?
     Its down in the classifieds. 275 + shipping, which wouldn't be much for the size of the box
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 229 Member
    Still my trusted 30-06s, Rem 798 and Axis. Moose and deer will fall with those two. :)
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,372 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, with as difficult as deer tags are to get, I’ll be using 2 different 12 gauge shotguns to kill flying things!
    If I’m lucky enough to draw an east river deer tag, I’ll be using my 264 Winchester Mag.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Well the 375 is out. I switched scopes to a VX-1 2-7x33 to shed weight and honestly, a 375 doesn't need more than that. With the 3-9x42 Zeiss I had on it before, I printed a corrected .62 group. I put the new scope on, made up 15 of the same loads and figured it would be an easy re-sight but no, now I couldn't do better than 2" today. Don't know if the scope is moving, or if its busted, or what. But, the 270 back up put 3 into about .75 with Fedreal Fuzion 150's and it'll probably get the nod. Kind of the reason that rifle exists, good enough back up for most things needing done for now. 

Had SOME luck with the MZ and Thor bullets, need to tweek a little more soon, but for today my shoulder is D O N E. 20+ rounds of 50 cal and another 15 375, I'm tapping out for a few days. 

If I get my 284 finished by Montana, that'll go. But I'm starting to feel like the back up women's gun is going to get the green light for a few hunts this year. Can't argue with sub MOA groups with cheap factory ammo. If I can keep 3 shots in the black ring at 100, even if its not the greatest group, I'll run that bullet/powder combo. With open sights I'm limited to around 100 yards anayways
2»