Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,974 Senior Member
    There is where I am lucky .......I usually just wait until things show up . The tumbler I waited 3 weeks. After that long then I get to seeing what is going on. If I don't like the answers then I step it up a notch at a time until I get a good answer. I can most times get to the top of the heap if need be to resolve a problem. Once you go corporate is most companies then things happen really fast. I had one regional mgr. ask why I went to the president of the co. I replied because you didn't return my call several times. ( I don't think he likes me so much )
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,254 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    There is where I am lucky .......I usually just wait until things show up . The tumbler I waited 3 weeks. After that long then I get to seeing what is going on. If I don't like the answers then I step it up a notch at a time until I get a good answer. I can most times get to the top of the heap if need be to resolve a problem. Once you go corporate is most companies then things happen really fast. I had one regional mgr. ask why I went to the president of the co. I replied because you didn't return my call several times. ( I don't think he likes me so much )
    My wife and I are EARLY adopters of what I like to call "convenience technology".  Our delivery people HATE US.  Mail lady has to bring a bunch of boxes to my front door EVERY day because we buy everything except perishables on Prime nowadays.  I usually have at least 3-4 tracking windows open at a time on my Mac.  If I do this right in a few months we'll never have to leave the house to go "shopping" avert again!!!   :D
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Good luck with that plan ska.
    It doesn't take long to be a shop o haulic .  Not that I would know anything about that lol
    When you look at what you bought a year ago m& still haven't used it .......yet said I will & that was a good deal & just look what they cost now ......yep you are hooked.
    On a happier note ........WELCOME to the club !!!!!

Just reading the auction bill here & they also have 5 boxes of gun cases with 22 in each box. That would mean if I bought those then I could go buy 110 long guns to put in them. It would be a shame to have empty cases laying around. Talking myself right into this !
    Old Ron said:
    Just reading the auction bill here & they also have 5 boxes of gun cases with 22 in each box. That would mean if I bought those then I could go buy 110 long guns to put in them. It would be a shame to have empty cases laying around. Talking myself right into this !
    Listen we have a guy here building a custom rifle around 500 bullets someone  gifted him and now he’s completely off the reservation looking outside of the performance parameter of the bullets he started with.  You are in the right club here...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,614 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    That is for on a horse ....right ? Now all I need to do is buy a horse & a cowboy hat.......not gonna happen.
    I could mount that on my side by side to chase down wild dogs at shop 2. It looks short for my 44-40 but one of my 30-30 s might fit in it.

Nah. You don't need a horse to use that. You just need a WWII vintage Jeep!

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

He probably has one of those under one of those piles that in his shop...  😁
    I kept it under control yesterday at the auction ......only bought a level pickup truck load. The gun cases & stocks went to high so I passed on them. It was a gotya type auction one time it would be by the peace next time it was by the case .....hard to keep up.  Was standing at the auction with my red cart to haul treasures & the people not buying were talking so loud I couldn't hear the bids ....so I moved in a few steps. Turned around & my cart was gone. Asked the talkers if the saw someone take it. They said yes & pointed the way he went .......off I go a little upset. Finally found the clown that had my cart. I asked what the .... he thought he was doing ...........he said moving stuff & I said not with my cart you are not . Long story short he told me to calm down I said I will after I punch you in the head a few times .....he backed up I took my cart & said I really don't like thieves & walked away. Later in the day he was caught trying that again with another guys treasures & said oh I thought I bought those. Tough world out there even at a auction.
    He probably has one of those under one of those piles that in his shop...  😁
    Now I have to take a look & see if I do .....   lol
    A few guys on here are talking of downsizing there guns. I never thought about having to many . I just have the ones I shoot in the front & the ones I no longer shoot in the back. Until I came on line I never even counted them. The shotguns that I hunted with I have let a few go because the interest was gone in hunting. (shotguns ) It is a mixed bag of hanging on to them or selling them. I guess it depends on the day. I have found working on them or doing a rescue gun is as much fun as shooting them. Maybe when I grow up I will better understand !
    The room that was a reloading room in now turned into reloading / gun rescue room. It will be a nice work area this winter when I finally get back to the guns full force. It has been a long road just getting to this point. The buffing & welding area is going to be a lot bigger problem because of the amount of tools & supply s  there.
    Doing big projects in a small area is always a problem.

Well Midway finally sent the replacement. That only took a month to get done. I don't think it is as big as my old one but who knows it has only been a month . This has a clear plastic top that I don't think will hold up as well & the seal doesn't seem as good as the old one. Oh well it's new & it's mine now.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,259 Senior Member
    Anyone that has an anvil in their reloading room is serious business👀
    I have a total of 4 of them  they go from one pound up to 600 pounds. Handy to have around the shop. My grandfather was a machinist / blacksmith & I grew up around him making & repairing things. I had a forge but a torch is way faster & easier to set to use. Getting the metal to the right color to work is the secret . And that just comes with time & practice.
    One if the buildings in the old town museum I took my son to had a pine floor doused in pitch like old RR ties. All the nails were the old square ones made by a blacksmith. That building smelled great inside.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,614 Senior Member
    Glad to see someone besides me has an assortment of anvils. I have my Granddad's old anvil and some of the tools to fit in the Hardy hole for doing shaping. I've got a little 1 pound anvil for really small stuff, one similar to the one in your picture, and two more in the 30 and 75 lb. range. They are handy and are pretty versatile pieces of equipment.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

I use mine a lot. If I can get to them ! lol
    Is that an ATM?
    Yes sir it is. I have 10 of them in this state . And around 200 in other states. They are fun to work on . lol
    We need to closely scrutinize your photos.

There could be anything and everything in those carefully stacked plies.
    There is an assortment of things I find interesting. Getting it better organized is my goal. That is a big job not to mention my work has to be done too & find time to play. Projects work & play is not a bad life. Keeps my old mind & body busy.
    Old Ron said:
    Yes sir it is. I have 10 of them in this state . And around 200 in other states. They are fun to work on . lol
    Dear Lord that’s a lot of ATMs... 🤣
    I have had them since the law changed & we could own them . I only own the 10 here & am partner with another company for the 200. They make a better return on money than leaving it sit in a bank. I also have gambling machines so it is nice to have a ATM there so they can spend more money if they want to. For 40 years I have found ways to make a few bucks without working to had to get it . lol
    If one of you guys owned this model 36 S&W . Would you replace that hammer ?
    To me it looks like it was just hacked off .......or is that original ?

Is this a J frame or a small I frame ? Only thing I see is G11 by the ser. #
    Old Ron said:

Someone bobbed that hammer for ease of draw from a pocket (no snag).

Leave it, and shoot DA only.
    If someone steels your cart again and seeks to do worse you'll have a pocket full of insurance.
    Old Ron said:

Someone bobbed that hammer for ease of draw from a pocket (no snag).

Leave it, and shoot DA only.
    If someone steels your cart again and seeks to do worse you'll have a pocket full of insurance.
    J frame, relatively early one (pinned barrel) with good finish, original grips in good shape and a square butt which makes it a more desirable gun.  With the correct hammer it’d bring about $6-700 in my neck of the woods.  Tons of original hammers on eBay and about 20 minutes to restore.  Or as Early said just carry it...  But it would drive ME nuts 😁
    That is my problem too.......I hate hack jobs on anything . Do it well or leave it alone. I was looking on line & it kept saying I frame small J frame & J frame. I hate to order one & it be wrong. Saw one in Ohio that I can call & talk about it so that is probably what I will do. I think they run from $30 to $50 . I don't need the whole assembly but if that's the only way they sell it then that's what I will buy.
    Thanks
    Doc & early
    edited July 15 #810
    Sometimes people that bob the hammers also slick up the action too. A good thing if done right. If done wrong, not so good. Maybe give it a whirl before committal???
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    Ron someone actually did do a good job of bobbing it.The rear portion is polished smooth at a minimum.
    A J frame case color hardened hammer is what you need if you want it original

I