Smoked venison

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 229 Member
After a longish thought I decided to buy an affordable smoker for salmon and venison. At it really has been a great buy. I thought that deer and moose meat are too dry to be smoked but no. I have tried it a few times in the last couple of weeks and the results with it are great.
Very delicious. How much do you fellow hunters use smokers to venison?
Here's a few pictures of moose and white tail venison to be smoked.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• neosamneosam New Member Posts: 28 New Member
    Yummy but looks a bit dry. Did you marinate them?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    edited July 11 #3
    YES!!! Baste it well with a good sop and cook slowly, It should melt in your mouth with a fantastic taste!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,080 Senior Member
    Years ago I used a propane fired smoker just like yours to smoke some venison. It ended up being blackened jerky, I mean I ate it but it wasn’t what I had in mind. That was quite early in my meat smoking learning. 

I haven’t tried to smoke venison since then so I don’t have any tips but it looks like you have it under control anyway. 

Your dog looks pissed, maybe you should share with him. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

My daughter smokes venison shoulders by basting the meat with ranch dressing, of all things, and using a dry rub she makes, over the ranch.  Anyone who has attended the shoot we host every year can testify that it's delicious.  The trick to smoking deer or other very lean meat is to keep the temperature low and possibly use a bacon wrap or some other type of fatty meat that renders out and keeps the main course moist.  "Medium-rare" is the best stopping point, and it takes some experimentation with temperature and cooking time to get it right.

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 229 Member
    neosam said:
    Yummy but looks a bit dry. Did you marinate them?
    They were’t dry. I took ’em out when the inside temp of the meat reached 140 deg Fahrenheit. Smoker’s temp was around 200-210 deg Fahrenheit.

I seasoned them night before with rock salt and dry rub.
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,277 Senior Member
    That looks very interesting, noted for future reference.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    Turdus - what wood are you using to smoke the meat?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,511 Senior Member
    looks good
    This message has been deleted
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    I’ve had venison legs cured and smoked like ham by a German butcher and they were insane good.  Never done it myself but I will someday.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,374 Senior Member
    I cured a deer ham once and it turned out surprisingly good. I had to soak it in brine solution and then smoked them at very low temperature..The brine keeps the meat moist as it cures. It tasted a lot like pork ham.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.