400 Whelen - platform base?

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,422 Senior Member
So my barrel is finished,  and it's time to send the action.  

What I'm stuck on is -

1903 w/receiver sight only, which would require a barrel band front sight
-or-
Win 70 Classic which I could just run with a scope and/opens. 

Max reliable range is probably 250-300 max. Iffin I went scope it'll be a low power, maybe 1-4. 

A Springfield is classic,  and what the good Colonel used, but the M70 is practical and longer magazine

What say you?
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,254 Senior Member
    Model 70 and 1.75-6 Leupold for a scope.  But neither is a bad choice.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    That also solves the problem of "fixing" a spare M70 and relieving it of its offensive 6.8mm barrel
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,254 Senior Member
    Seems like a win-win to me...  that would be a classic do all big game setup.  From elk to bear, from touching distance to as far as you’d care to launch a .40 at a big critter.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Seems like a win-win to me...  that would be a classic do all big game setup.  From elk to bear, from touching distance to as far as you’d care to launch a .40 at a big critter.
    Small hiccup. I bought a new stock off fleabay. It came of a Rifles, Inc Strata. I got it for a LOT less than it is worth. Strata stocks are made in house, and those rifles are in the nice used Mazda price range.  I have tennis shoes that weigh more than this stock! I put several different M70's in it and most would need some glass taken out (which I did) to get it to fit before re-glassing. However, that dang 270 action fit in almost perfect, and the weight of that combo is amazing, didn't have a scale, but it was closer to my Marlin 60's than my MPI stocked M70's. 

I guess I could still use that 270 for the 400 and just keep fiddling away to make my misfit M70 action fit (7mm rem I bought from a friend, I had the bolt fluted, and will be swapping it to my other M70 to be re-chambered to 270 Wby here shortly) and figure out what to do with said action (now with a .473 bolt) later. 
    The value of the 1903 is sentimental only, because its been tapped for the peep. But never tapped for scope mounts. Guess I could just as well have it tapped, or run it with the peeps. Also have been looking at relfex sights. I could leave the front bridge alone, and just tap the rear to have that set up. Starting to find favor with big bore shooters 
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,031 Senior Member
    My .35 Whelen is on a 1909 Oberndorf/Argentine action. The Classic 1909 Argentine. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    My .35 Whelen is on a 1909 Oberndorf/Argentine action. The Classic 1909 Argentine. 
    I hate you
    I have a Belgian FN and a Husky, but missed out on 3 1909 auctions.  
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,022 Senior Member
    That also solves the problem of "fixing" a spare M70 and relieving it of its offensive 6.8mm barrel
    Blasphemy! I tell you!

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 213 Member
    I vote M70 with a Leupold 1.5-4x20.

My .35 Whelen is is on a 1908 Brazilian Mauser.  Would like a 1909, but they are getting pricy.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,031 Senior Member
    There's a brazillion of those floating around. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,292 Senior Member
    M70 gets my vote
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.