The Good Bad & the Ugly Shops

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,144 Senior Member
    Well shop 1 took a turn for the worse.
    I am going to auctions faster than I can put stuff away. One auction isn't bad but 3 in 4 days can cause a back up in the system.

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited July 8 #483
    How many semi-trailers did you buy Ron ?
    I'll have you know Happy I stayed under control for the sale Sat. & the one on Sun. lol ( Kinda )
    Bought one pickup load at each sale. The first sale I made 10 purchases & yesterday only 5. I could have gone wild at both but had no idea where I would put it all. The buys I made were really good buys & couldn't say no.
    I almost messed up yesterday & bought a boat. It was a Starcraft v hull with a 4 cyl. IO  omc out. around 16' new tune up new battery all fishing poles & gear anchors power winch & a full tank of gas ready to go. Full top.
    Could have bought it all for .......ready? .........$ 100.00 ....NO BS !!!! The reason it was so cheap is the owner brought it to the auction way late & most all the buyers were gone already. Most of the things I buy are guy stuff & antiques . Most estate sales have much of the same things. We all that do our own work have a lot of the same tools. Like zip ties most of us have some of those laying around & are handy to make a neat job of wiring. Sat. I wanted to try a few of the zip ties that have beads not the flat plastic. Ended up having to buy 8 boxes of bags of them. There has to be thousands ! More than I will ever use. So now I have to try to sell the rest that I will never use. There is where I get way more than I need so off to Flea markets I go. When I bought my little lawn wagon there was 4 bike helmets & 2 tractor seats in it & had to take it all. That is how the piles grow really fast. Auctions are interesting & you meet interesting people that like some of the same things. Most just buy one type of thing......guns ..... coins ..... antiques .....household ......quilts ......art work...... tools .
    My problem is I buy some of each.

11 boxes of 5000 each .........now that's a bunch of quick ties lol ( I couldn't say no )
  • GilaGila Posts: 612 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    I'll have you know Happy I stayed under control for the sale Sat. & the one on Sun. lol ( Kinda )
    Bought one pickup load at each sale. The first sale I made 10 purchases & yesterday only 5. I could have gone wild at both but had no idea where I would put it all. The buys I made were really good buys & couldn't say no.
    I almost messed up yesterday & bought a boat. It was a Starcraft v hull with a 4 cyl. IO  omc out. around 16' new tune up new battery all fishing poles & gear anchors power winch & a full tank of gas ready to go. Full top.
    Could have bought it all for .......ready? .........$ 100.00 ....NO BS !!!! The reason it was so cheap is the owner brought it to the auction way late & most all the buyers were gone already. Most of the things I buy are guy stuff & antiques . Most estate sales have much of the same things. We all that do our own work have a lot of the same tools. Like zip ties most of us have some of those laying around & are handy to make a neat job of wiring. Sat. I wanted to try a few of the zip ties that have beads not the flat plastic. Ended up having to buy 8 boxes of bags of them. There has to be thousands ! More than I will ever use. So now I have to try to sell the rest that I will never use. There is where I get way more than I need so off to Flea markets I go. When I bought my little lawn wagon there was 4 bike helmets & 2 tractor seats in it & had to take it all. That is how the piles grow really fast. Auctions are interesting & you meet interesting people that like some of the same things. Most just buy one type of thing......guns ..... coins ..... antiques .....household ......quilts ......art work...... tools .

No boat trailer, huh?
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Gila said:
    Old Ron said:

No boat trailer, huh?
    Yes ! It was ready to go to the water. Just don't see those deals to often.

Old Ron said:
    Gila said:
    Old Ron said:

No boat trailer, huh?
    Yes ! It was ready to go to the water. Just don't see those deals to often.

That's why I have a class 4 trailer hitch on my truck.  Buying it would have enabled me to get new batteries and trailer tires for my bass boat at no cost.
  • 88Glock88Glock Posts: 4 New Member
    Wow, you are a neatness freak compared to me!

I've actually been meaning to straighten everything out, but projects keep getting in the way!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,210 Senior Member
    I worked on the Ford 7000 tractor today. Flushed the fuel system out good and put new fuel filters on it. The battery is kaput so I gotta go get a new one tomorrow. Freakin battery weighs AT LEAST 70 pounds, and the battery box is shoulder height, for me. and all kinds of things to mash, squash, skin fingers on getting it in or out. Getting it out went well as I didn't mash, squash, or skin any pinkies doing it. Hope for a repeat when replacing the battery.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

88Glock said:
    Wow, you are a neatness freak compared to me!

I've actually been meaning to straighten everything out, but projects keep getting in the way!
    That make 4 of us now !   For the longest time it was just Mike & I .......We are a support group for each other . lol 
    Projects are way more fun to do than organizing. But falling over things to do a project is no walk in the park.
    So welcome to the band of 4 now 88.
    tennmike said:
    I worked on the Ford 7000 tractor today. Flushed the fuel system out good and put new fuel filters on it. The battery is kaput so I gotta go get a new one tomorrow. Freakin battery weighs AT LEAST 70 pounds, and the battery box is shoulder height, for me. and all kinds of things to mash, squash, skin fingers on getting it in or out. Getting it out went well as I didn't mash, squash, or skin any pinkies doing it. Hope for a repeat when replacing the battery.
    You really are a tall guy Mike .....just trapped in a short mans body !
    I don't know who came up with placement for battery boxes but they need to replace a few then design where it goes. I put a big semi one in my bobcat & that is under the seat .......real handy spot ! I look like I am trying to make little bobcats when I take that in or out. And that reminds me I need to get that out & replace the voltage regulator too one of these fine days. I may do that when I get back to shop 2 with the second new pulley for the air compressor.
    I gotta replace the battery on the bulldozer, too. It's in a really inconvenient place in a box on the left of the seat. Have to lift to mid chest height to get it out while standing on the track. Balance is really important once it clears the top of the box because the top of track to ground level is about 2 1/2 feet. It's a big honkin' heavy battery, too.

If they all go bad at the same time it can really suck !  A grand can go down the drain quick. I only have around a dozen so I hope they space it out a bit rather than eat a chunk out of my gun money.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    You guys need some open pavement and a transmission jack or a cherry picker.

You'll never get anything done with a wrenched back.
    Most of the things we get into is a 2 man job with 1 man & an older one at that. We may not get things done fast but we do get them done .......& in my case I do have a boom truck & lots of jacks & chain falls but they usually are just in the way. By using our backs & hands we don't tear much up like you can with equipment. At least our hands can heal. Cement is nice to work on until you dump 10 gal of oil on it .....then it is a bear to clean up ....not to mention slick.
    Old Ron said:
    Most of the things we get into is a 2 man job with 1 man & an older one at that. We may not get things done fast but we do get them done .......& in my case I do have a boom truck & lots of jacks & chain falls but they usually are just in the way. By using our backs & hands we don't tear much up like you can with equipment. At least our hands can heal. Cement is nice to work on until you dump 10 gal of oil on it .....then it is a bear to clean up ....not to mention slick.
    That's when I'd break out the muriatic acid...

You guys need some open pavement and a transmission jack or a cherry picker.

You'll never get anything done with a wrenched back.
    The tractor and bulldozer are in the equipment shed, on 8 inches of gravel fill. That way hydraulic fluid leaks/spills and transmission oil and engine oil leaks/spills don't require cleanup! I have a lightweight frame I can use that has a block and tackle hoist on it that will lift a few hundred pounds, but putting it together takes longer than heaving the battery in place by 'main strength and awkwardness'. And I HATE working on concrete because anything spilled on it requires cleanup. Gravel don't care. And a concrete pad thick enough to handle the tractors, and bulldozer tracks, costs $$$.
    Speaking of $$$, the new tractor battery cost $199. Ouch................... I got it on the charger to make sure it's charged before heaving that heavy sunny beech into the tractor battery shelf.

When I get around to shop 3 it will have 1/2 gravel & 1/2 concrete. Anything that can leak will be on gravel.
    I managed to get 1 weed eater going at shop 2 so cleaned up the tobacco & put it in the car for work at shop 1.
    Did manage to get the pulley on the compressor now to figure the wiring to 220. And what direction the pump needs to turn. I couldn't find an arrow anywhere on it. As soon as I get that with a done stamp on it I will go beck to smokey & track down the problem. With more rain heading this way probably won't get much grass cut.
    Taking my dad out to lunch for his birthday today so probably won't get a lot of work done ( he is 89 today )

Heading out to shop 2 & see what I can get into until the heat hits.  If things go right I will have the compressor up & running again. That will help because I will be able to use air tools again. This wiring is really a treat to work with ......9 leads in the motor. High & low voltages & CCW & CW . Picked up a bigger pulley just in case it isn't running fast enough. The pump doesn't have an arrow on it for the direction of the wheel to run ...... my guess is is CCW. I think the motor is running CW so that will need changing.
    Well off to the wilderness ................hy ho silver !

Have fun with the compressor motor!

Well it works .....other than speeding it up a tick & a paint job it's good to go. It only took an hour to get the wiring right. The pump needs to turn CCW & the labeling was different than what it showed. A quick switch & was good to go. With the slower RPM it takes longer to recover but that is a easy fix. Followed your example out there today Mike ......had a fan on me & lasted way longer than I would have normally.
    A fan of sufficient size to move air, and blow it on you makes a hot place a little more bearable. You're sweating, but that breeze cools ya off!

Was just telling my dad that a few min. ago . He is heading to Missouri tomorrow for a swap meet.  89 years old & going to be out in the worst heat of the year & camp out in his car. And they say I am the crazy one of the family. I have no idea if he will go or not. He probably won't decide until around 5 am . My rump will be here at shop 1 busting a hump with projects & if it get hot again inside I will be.
    Ron, don't know if you've seen these things, but they are a big deal in chikkin houses and cattle and horse barns. These mist things for fans can really cool down an area. Might be something you'd maybe want to look into.

https://www.amazon.com/Nozzle-Fan-Mister-Outdoor-Misting/dp/B0035ZEQZ2

I looked at that link Mike & it really didn't tell much about how it works. There has to be a pump in there someplace to make the mist. I didn't show that. And then there has to be a way to regulate the flow .....didn't show that. To have a wet cool down place would be ok but a mist going all over the place might be a mess. Just a fan & shade seems to work well without putting my cigarette out.
    Now here is a project to think on. These rings all hook together & can spin. I was thinking it was for nuts & bolts. The ring is to high to get your hand in & no dividers to keep things apart. If I cut the ring in half then I could get my fat mit in it. But I don't know it that tin can hold the weight of nuts & bolts.......& then there is the room it will take up in floor space.  I have no idea what it could have been used for ......but bought it any way ! lol
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    Its some kind of rotating display. Its huge. You'll probly come across Dr Livingston's long lost binoculars under an old wheel from the Anola Gay moving stuff around to make room for it.😁
    There just has to be a use for that. If I can't find one it will be in the scrap pile.
    Will hit outside stuff again this am until the heat builds again. That means weed whacking & a couple coats on the small wagon. Then it is back inside going through the shop of treasures. It will sort out a lot better when I get some of the big projects done. Problem being that they have several hours of work to be done on each of them. Then there is a bunch of projects that haven't even started.

Old Ron said:
    I looked at that link Mike & it really didn't tell much about how it works. There has to be a pump in there someplace to make the mist. I didn't show that. And then there has to be a way to regulate the flow .....didn't show that. To have a wet cool down place would be ok but a mist going all over the place might be a mess. Just a fan & shade seems to work well without putting my cigarette out.
    How dey work: The mist nozzles put out an extremely fine mist and the fan dissipates it. The mist absorbs heat and completely evaporates removing the heat from the area.
    Here's one shown in operation:
    https://www.amazon.com/AZCOOLMIST-Outdoor-Misting-Brass-Nozzles/dp/B00J6IERRY/ref=pd_sim_236_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00J6IERRY&pd_rd_r=8ff81b02-86be-11e8-8547-adee3c727b5c&pd_rd_w=Tkt9m&pd_rd_wg=6di0q&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=7967298517161621930&pf_rd_r=6HDBN9B3EESBRFDEEQ86&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6HDBN9B3EESBRFDEEQ86

The nozzles put out around 1/2 gallon per hour each. You need a source of pressurized water. A small 1/4-1/2 h.p. water pump that will provide around 40 psi output pressure will provide that. And you collect rainwater in barrels, so water won't be a problem.

tennmike said:
    Ron, don't know if you've seen these things, but they are a big deal in chikkin houses and cattle and horse barns. These mist things for fans can really cool down an area. Might be something you'd maybe want to look into.

https://www.amazon.com/Nozzle-Fan-Mister-Outdoor-Misting/dp/B0035ZEQZ2

Places like Home Depot and Lowes carry the nozzles and plumbing to make these things yourself.  To regulate the mist, just use water pressure from the water line and adjust the faucet.