Holographic sights, tell me about them.

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,209 Senior Member
Last night at the club meeting I won a NIB EOTECH exps-2 sight, immediately 5 members wanted to buy it, I know nothing about them except that they sell at Midway for $500. so tell me all about them.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    I've got an EOTech on an AR and I like it ok. Whatever the dot is over is where the bullet impacts once it's sighted. Both eyes open, centered or not, doesn't matter so target acquisition is pretty fast. The military used a lot of them but there are other makes out there that have longer battery life and I've read complaints about them not holding zero well but I haven't had a problem with mine.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,206 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Last night at the club meeting I won a NIB EOTECH exps-2 sight, immediately 5 members wanted to buy it, I know nothing about them except that they sell at Midway for $500. so tell me all about them.

JAY

I don't own one but I've only ever heard good things about them (unless the battery dies). Amazon and Midway customers rave about them so that's a good sign.

It's a close range, faster acquisition optic ideal for home defense and accurate out to 100 yards + (depending on the shooter). It's also great for 3-gun type competitions, if you're into that. I know some guys that use it there and swear by it.

Don't sell it. I know you'll find a good home for it somewhere.

Here's some more info:

http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapons-technology/holographic-sight-versus-red-dot-sight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_weapon_sight

Hope this helps.
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,992 Senior Member
    I have one. Like it ok. I like the reticle a lot better than a basic red dot. I got a good deal on mine, but not sure it's worth the money. I've become a bigger fan of large diameter, low magnification, illuminated prisim sights like Burris and Primary Arms sell. Similar circle dot reticle, but works with out batteries. The 1-4x and 1-6x scopes are also a better option Imho.

Tl;dr if you get a good offer on it I'd take it and use the cash for something else.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,001 Senior Member
    My only experience with such a sight is the Burris Fast-Fire, a mid range (quality-wise) product. It works well on anything you can see well enough with the naked eye to shoot at. You simply sight the dot in at a certain range and put the dot on the target. It simply removes the front sight/rear sight 'sight picture' from the equation. I like it.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I have experience with two. First is this one that I put on my VEPR-12

attachment.php?attachmentid=11313&d=1515093255

Required an allen wrench to mount but was easy to zero in and stays zeroed in even with the abuse from a 12 gauge. Easier to use than iron sights, but does not give you any additional range since there is no magnification. There are several types of reticule available by moving a rotary switch and the brightness is adjustable.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11312&d=1515093253

This was 12 gauge slugs out of a smooth-bore at 50 yards using the holographic sight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11315&d=1515093257

It also has a side mounted laser with remote pressure switch that I have laser bore-sighted in at home defense range.

The other one I have experience with is this one that I mounted on my MSR-15

attachment.php?attachmentid=11314&d=1515093256

It was easy to mount with a quick-release clamp system, but that proved to be it's downfall. I found it impossible to sight in and finally figured out that the clamp system would not hold tight enough to maintain zero from one shot to the next. I returned it and bought another Pursuit X1 sight like the one on my VEPR-12. One feature that I did like about this one though was that you could select either a red or green reticle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11311&d=1515093252

The only problem I have with the Pursuit X1 sights is self-inflicted.....I keep forgetting to turn them off when done at the range and do not discover it until days later. Both of them need to have the batteries replaced before I go back out to the range again. On my MSR-15 I was able to co-witness my flip up iron sights which I can see through the view finder. The sights on my VEPR-12 are not visible through the holographic sight.

Here are both sights mounted on the guns before I returned the Sightmark and replaced it with another Pursuit X1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11316&d=1515095391
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,209 Senior Member
    Thanks guys, I'm gonna try it on my AR and maybe a M-94 AE.

JAY
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,649 Senior Member
    They are good sights . . .as sights. I like the small 1-MOA aiming dot most of them have.

What I DON'T like on the Eotechs is the battery life. Pretty much every time I run quals, somebody breaks one out and is either heading back to their gear bag or off to the store for replacement batteries. The long-term durability of the battery contacts has been iffy on some I've seen as well.

The Aimpoints seem to do a lot better in the areas of durability and battery life you'd want on a go-to-war red dot sight, and the controls are a lot more intuitive. But for free, and just for fun, you scored good!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'm gonna try it on my AR and maybe a M-94 AE.

JAY

FWIW...

The idea behind these sights is to open both eyes and have a full field of vision, and the red dot should still be visible in a stalking situation or CQB . If you were walking the palmettos to kick up pigs this would be a great setup.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    If you mount it on a rifle with iron sights... focus on the the center dot. Don't worry about the irons. Just use the dot. If you try to get the irons and the dot to match up, your brain will get confused and you'll get bad accuracy.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,209 Senior Member
    My AR is an old type with the carrying handle, I decided I wasnt going to go on any of my guns so it went to a friend for his AR.

JAY
  • bestproductsbestproducts Posts: 1 New Member
    Eotech XPS2 Review-Best Holographic Sight With Magnifier:
    Have a problem with aiming while shooting? You cannot fire if your aim is not right. Ok, I am not offending you, here I will help you to fix your aim problem. All you need is a best holographic sight with a magnifier.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    I have an astigmatism that makes the reticle on holosights look very blurry and not too useful for me, but a lot of people I know like them.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    I don't get the concern about battery life with the EOTech sights as even the double A models have a 600 hr battery life on a pair of penlight batteries. When I was really active in uspsa competition in the eighties and nineties, the Tasco red dots were very popular and were probably the most popular sight until the C-Mores came along and they had a small fraction of the battery life as the EOTech sights had but back then folks turned them off when not in use. 
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    I don't get the concern about battery life with the EOTech sights as even the double A models have a 600 hr battery life on a pair of penlight batteries. When I was really active in uspsa competition in the eighties and nineties, the Tasco red dots were very popular and were probably the most popular sight until the C-Mores came along and they had a small fraction of the battery life as the EOTech sights had but back then folks turned them off when not in use. 
    I have been wondering the same.  I picked up a EOTech a couple years ago at a gun show for dimes on the dollar. It is the model 512 that takes AA batteries.  I change the batteries each New Years day at the same time that I change the smoke alarm batteries. It has never once needed a replacement before then and I have forgotten to turn it off a couple times when returning it to the safe. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5