Giving Slide Mounted Red Dots a Try

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,349 Senior Member
edited July 11 in General Firearms #1
As I mentioned awhile back in the Personal Defense forum, I am MRDS curious when it comes to EDC handguns. Being hesitant to send my Glock 19 slide off to a milling service, I was idly perusing a competing forum's Classifieds one day and came across a Glock 19 Gen 4 slide already milled by ATEI to accept a Trijicon RMR sight. As I already had an RMR sitting around from another abandoned project, I fired a "shot in the dark" offer to the seller for $350 (which is less than a milling and refinish at ATEI costs with my current slide) and to my surprise they bit!

Initial impressions are favorable, and I can definitely see the advantage of only having to focus on the target and superimpose the dot over it. With that said, I would need to practice a LOT to feel comfortable carrying this set up. It is definitely a steep learning curve.

I have only been to the range once, but to my surprise my offhand 25yds groups were very similar between the MRDS slide and my standard slide with Trijicon HDs (around 8" groups if you must know, I'm no professional). This just goes to show you that devices such as optics are merely tools to add to your capabilities and are definitely NOT a replacement for the fundamentals.

Concealment wise, it adds no noticeable bulk in my waistline using my typical AIWB Raven Concealment holster.

In April 2019 I am signed up for a class specifically about shooting MRDS equipped pistols (as part of a larger "training rodeo" weekend), so I don't foresee carrying this setup before that, but I'm definitely "dot curious."

My only planned modification to this set up is polishing the surfaces associated with the "$.25 trigger job," and adding Ameriglo suppressor height sights that will give me a ~1/3 lower cowitness should the dot fail.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,330 Senior Member
    One of the guys I shoot IDPA with loves his G19 with an MRDS.  I tried it and couldn’t get used to it.  Old dogs and new tricks I guess...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,165 Senior Member
    Don’t know that I’d personally carry that setup as my CC gun, but I can see huge potential for HD!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,577 Senior Member
    I’ve shot a pistol equipped with one several times . I haven’t bought one yet but was very tempting to set one up since my buddies gun shot so well with it.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,349 Senior Member
    Don’t know that I’d personally carry that setup as my CC gun, but I can see huge potential for HD!
    My CC gun IS my HD gun, but we shall see. I've been reading that some shooters track the top of the MRDS unit when acquiring their target instead of the front sight. Results have been mixed for me.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,132 Senior Member
    I’ve tried the concept. Couldn’t cotton to it. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,165 Senior Member
    My CC gun IS my HD gun, but we shall see. I've been reading that some shooters track the top of the MRDS unit when acquiring their target instead of the front sight. Results have been mixed for me.
    My dedicate HD nightstand gun is my P226 with night sights and a stream light laser/light mounted on it. It’s a very nice setup that allows me lightning fast target recognition/aquisition and will let me shower a whole lot of lead at a threat(s) should it ever become necessary.  It’s just a whole lot of equipment to be carrying around all the time.  99% of the time my CCW is one of my 1911s.

But I think I would like to play with a setup like yours.  
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton