Rifle hand loading question regarding primers

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,308 Senior Member
Wondering what primers you use in most of your hand loads?

And which ones you've had bad experiences with as well.

Rifle hand loading question regarding primers 27 votes

CCI
33%
bullsi1911Big Al1tennmikesnake284jbohiodwfffanbellcatZeezorba 9 votes
Winchester
33%
wddodgeSix-Guncpjilove22srberglofHAWKEN41magnutmitdr774earlyagain 9 votes
Federal
25%
LinefinderJKPCHIRO1989MileHighShooterorchidmanJayhawkerjaywapti 7 votes
Fiocchi
0%
S&B
3%
BAMAAK 1 vote
Tula/Wolf
3%
knitepoet 1 vote
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,874 Senior Member
    Federal
    I use Federal Gold Medal primers for almost all my rifle reloading...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,308 Senior Member
    Tula/Wolf
    Back during the big "shortage of everything reloaded related" I bought a case of the "wolf" branded small rifle primers.

I've been using them in my small rifle cases (223, 6.5mm Grendel, 7mmT/CU)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,658 Senior Member
    edited July 11 #4
    Winchester
    Winchester. They  were what was most available local. They work. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,699 Senior Member
    CCI
    I prefer CCI, but during the shortage I used what I could find. No issues with Winchester but had multiple miss fires with Remington.
    Tula/Wolf
    Jayhawker, you had any issues with Fed primers in semi-autos?

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,874 Senior Member
    Federal
    knitepoet said:
    Jayhawker, you had any issues with Fed primers in semi-autos?
    Nope....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,127 Senior Member
    Federal
    My preference, for no other reason than that's what I started with, is Federal of any kind. Never a primer related problem of any kind, across their various "grades".This is a one-sided opinion, because I've used very few of other brands. Others may be just as good, or better, whatever that could mean. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 955 Senior Member
    Winchester
    I use mostly Winchesters cause that's what I have the most of. I've bought an occasional sleeve of CCI, Wolf and a couple of others that I can't recall for sure and they've all worked perfect. I don't try to strike a match in my style of shooting so I've not really noticed any accuracy difference.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    Winchester
    I mostly use Winchester, but I have CCI and Federal.

Really I have no preference. I use what's available.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,024 Senior Member
    CCI
    I use CCI almost exclusively. However, I used to use Winchester for a few years there during Obummer's Regime, because that's all I could get here without ordering online and pay that damn Hazmat Fee. I quit when CCIs started showing up in the LGSs around here because I had one burn through. I think it was Alec who had the same problem with them about the same time.Theyre made of some kind of copper or bronze alloy and I'm a little scared to use them now. I like CCI better anyway.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Winchester
    I use mostly Winchester.  When primers were hard to come by Winchester were the only ones I could find on a somewhat regular basis.  I have tried CCI with my M700 .300 BO, but have a lot of fail to fires due to what looks like a lite primer strike.  No issues with the Winchester primers in the .300 BO.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,256 Senior Member
    CCI
    CCI, because that was all I could find when I needed some
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,024 Senior Member
    edited July 12 #14
    CCI
    mitdr774 said:
    I use mostly Winchester.  When primers were hard to come by Winchester were the only ones I could find on a somewhat regular basis.  I have tried CCI with my M700 .300 BO, but have a lot of fail to fires due to what looks like a lite primer strike.  No issues with the Winchester primers in the .300 BO.
    Sounds like you have either a dirty firing pin and insid/or insidee bolt area or you have a week firingproblem pin spring. All my model 700s shoot rounds with CCI primers with never a failure to fire. If you haven't tried it yet you might take your firing pin out of the bolt and clean the channel and firing pin and see if you still have a problem with CCI Primers. They are a little harder than most, but if you have a clean rifle and a good firing pin spring it shoot work with any problem.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 214 Member
    edited July 12 #15
    Winchester
    Given that the rifle has maybe 50 rounds through it now, my money is on piss poor QC from Remington.

I have debated getting a new bolt assembly and converting to a different caliber.  Accuracy is okay, but the gun has some other minor issues that can be worked around at a bench, but would be unacceptable in the field.  Overall, not impressed with Remington on this one.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,622 Senior Member
    CCI
    I prefer CCI. They work, and what I've used for a long time.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Tula/Wolf
    tennmike said:
    I prefer CCI. They work, and what I've used for a long time.
    I use them a LOT, but in the last few years, been loading more SR than any other size primer, so the Wolf/Tula got my vote

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,435 Senior Member
    edited July 12 #18
    Federal
    I started out using Winchester when I began reloading. I changed to Federal after experiencing 'blown' primers which resulted in an etched bolt face on my new T3 7mm08.
    When I encountered the problem with Winchester, I googled the problem and the results made very interesting reading. There is no way I would ever use Winchester primers again....

These...........

Caused this.........

Well, obviously that didnt work............Will have to find the pics on my old computer
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,145 Senior Member
    S&B
    When things were scarce, I could always find Tulsa and they were cheap.  Never had a failure with them.  Never see them any more though.  Now I wait til Cabelas has a sale on S&B and buy what I can.  Never had any issues with them either.  I use SR, LP and SP. Thousands of SP w/o a failure.  
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,700 Senior Member
    Federal
    My preference, for no other reason than that's what I started with, is Federal of any kind. Never a primer related problem of any kind, across their various "grades".This is a one-sided opinion, because I've used very few of other brands. Others may be just as good, or better, whatever that could mean. Mike
    Same here, although I have a bit of everything these days, just have not used up the Federals yet.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Tula/Wolf
    Yeah, they quit importing the Tulas a few years back :(

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    edited July 12 #22
    Winchester
    The only primer failings Ive had in my life were from factory loaded ammunition.

So far.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,003 Senior Member
    Winchester
    I have mostly CCI and Winchester with a few Federal thrown in. Do have a few hundred Alcan also.
    edited July 12 #24
    Tula/Wolf
    Alec, I thought of you and your Tikka when I added the winchester choice and "had bad experiences with" to the OP

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,818 Senior Member
    Winchester
    I've used Winchester for years and still do about 95% of the time.  Occasionally I dip into an old stash of Federal primers when I just want to make up plinking ammo.  For my inline muzzleloader and its season use, CCI 209M shotgun primers are used exclusively.  Never an issue with any of them.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,040 Senior Member
    Winchester
    a comment.  you have 1 vote but ask 2 different questions.

i voted for WIN since thats what i have found locally.

my first time using primers i did use and still have some CCI, but from my experience the cups were soft(er) or i had more issues with the cup material getting extruded into the fp hole in a friends revolver frame.

i tried Win primers and they didnt have the same issue.  

i know what 1 issue doest make it true for all, but in my case, i didnt want to deal with it and so i choose to buy anything but CCI.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Tula/Wolf
    I find that surprising. IME CCI primers are on the "harder" end of the scale

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,426 Senior Member
    Federal
    I prefer Federal first,  but resorted to Win and CCI when I couldn't find any.  Last month I came across a brick of GM215 at the gunshow and near pooped myself. Fed pretty much stopped producing components,  they make more money on selling loaded ammo. But, the big mags always seemed best with GM215, and now I've got about 1200 of them.  

Muzzy, its the same.  GM209 or CCI Mag. Others don't come close to the groups I get with BH209
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Tula/Wolf
    ilove22s said:
    a comment.  you have 1 vote but ask 2 different questions.
    Yep, the poll is for the one you use the most, and the bad experience was for folks to reply on. Since the poll wouldn't allow anyone to expound on what sort of trouble they had with them

• ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 317 Member
    Remington.
    Large and small rifle primers for some time, work great in everything I load. 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Federal
    Prefer Fed GM but have used others such as CCI and Winchester with success.