New AR - A Bit Different

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 1,856 Senior Member
My Dad recently gave me an AR that was built by my late Uncle. It's rather unique and I'm looking forward to trying it out as it's been a safe queen for far too long.

Some specs:

• Colt Match HBAR lower with a really nice trigger of unknown origin
  • A2 stock
  • Upper of unknown origin with a monolithic full length scope mount riser
  • Bronze / yellowish bolt
  • Massive 1.1" diameter DPMS 1:9 twist 16" barrel with an equally massive gas block
  • Older Leatherwood ART 3-9x scope - not sure of model
The scope is the biggest unknown at this point. Supposedly popular during Vietnam, it's definitely different in that the range knob actually raises and lowers the rear of the scope. If anyone knows how these things work or has some experience with one I'm all ears.

Looking forward to running some 55-60 grain 223 through it. 

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    That things looks like it is ready to do some serious shootin.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,229 Senior Member
    That HBAR looks a LOT like my Colt HBAR I bought in the early 1990s, difference being the gas block. That scope is interesting; never seen one quite like it. The scope appears to be an early Leatherwood scope, and mates with the Leatherwood mounting system on the rifle.

Here's the current Leatherwood scope and mount setup.

https://hi-luxoptics.com/products/hi-lux-leatherwood-art-m1200-6x-24x-riflescope

If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,944 Senior Member
    Looks like a DPMS Upper. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,827 Senior Member
    Neat family heirloom 
    Looking forward to hearing how it shoots
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Neat family heirloom 
    Looking forward to hearing how it shoots
    Not sure it's in the heirloom group! 

Another gun that came home with me might be more suited for that (blasphemy to even place it on the Glock mat I know):

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Nice. Both of them. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,050 Senior Member
    The gas block looks a lot like the one on my heavy barrel R-guns AR. Well, from what I recall anyways since I haven't pulled the dammed thing out of the safe in a few years.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,273 Senior Member
    Looks like it ought to work....whats that thing weigh?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited July 2018 #11
    Jayhawker said:
    Looks like it ought to work....whats that thing weigh?
    10 lbs 9 oz unloaded. Barrel is THICK. The current offering from DPMS in a bull barrel is 0.92" in while this beast is 1.1".
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,114 Senior Member
    That "Bronze/yellow" bolt appears to be titanium nitride
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    Pretty cool!  I bet that's a shooter 
    Put some rounds downrange today. The scope functions as advertised - you can dial in elevation very quickly and it's relatively precise for what it is. Torso sized targets would be in trouble at varying distances.

That said, I'll very likely put some different glass on the rifle as I'm not all that interested in minute of torso elevation accuracy and have no plans to hit the battlefield soon. The monolithic riser in the upper will make scope mounting interesting.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,229 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Put some rounds downrange today. The scope functions as advertised - you can dial in elevation very quickly and it's relatively precise for what it is. Torso sized targets would be in trouble at varying distances.

That said, I'll very likely put some different glass on the rifle as I'm not all that interested in minute of torso elevation accuracy and have no plans to hit the battlefield soon. The monolithic riser in the upper will make scope mounting interesting.
    That riser will allow you to use low rings, provided the scope will fit between the front and rear of the riser. Might have to go to medium height depending on the scope. I have one rifle with that high riser on the upper. It wears a low power scope, 1.5-4.5X, and no big honkin' bell in front made it fit like a glove with low scope mounts.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,958 Senior Member
    With that riser if you don't use low mounts you're gonna need a thick pad or spacer on the butt stock to get your eyes up level with the scope and your cheek supported. Other wise I really like it. With a good scope set up you should be able to put em all in one hole with that dude.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,824 Senior Member
    Looks like a tailor made p-dog rig.  I am sure it is fun to shoot... congrats!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,458 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #18
    Do you have the tools to get rid of that upper (stripped)? Never got that concept of an integral high rise on an AR. They are lego's, should be nothing permanent.
    Michakav said:
    Do you have the tools to get rid of that upper (stripped)? Never got that concept of an integral high rise on an AR. They are lego's, should be nothing permanent.
    Yes but I don't want to invest the time to do it. Should be fine with some low rings and won't sit much higher than a scope in one of the popular one piece mounts.
    edited July 2018 #20
    JKP said:
    Michakav said:
    Yes but I don't want to invest the time to do it. Should be fine with some low rings and won't sit much higher than a scope in one of the popular one piece mounts.

Cool. Nothing you can't overcome, especially as a pass-down piece!
    edited July 2018 #21
    I have 2 of the EOPs (Elevated optics platform, which is what RRA calls their version)

I like them
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    I have 2 of the EOPs (Elevated optics platform, which is what RRA calls their version)

I like them
    Any mounting tips other than low rings?
    knitepoet said:

I like them

I guess they just don't fit me. Thus my statement. Not saying they don't have their place, just don't like the permanent nature when there are so many "plug and play" options available.
    JKP said:
    Any mounting tips other than low rings?
    Check and see if low or medium align it better for you. I found that mediums work best for me.

Which is why I like the EOPs, I can use the same rings I do on most everything else

Went inexpensive (not cheap) and picked a Nikon P223 3-9x scope and Leupold Rifleman low rings. Better to be lucky than good - barely fits with the low rings. 

Will see how it shoots soon. 

FYI, I believe that upper is the DPMS "Thick wall" upper. Not even sure they still make it

One of them is my second "EOP" besides my RRA.
    You can't use that upper on a lower with a Magpul "B.A.D." lever on it (At least mine won't work on any of my "BAD" equipped lowers)