Home Main Category Hunting

Not sharing a shooting house with these...

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,806 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #32
    Well, went back today with the other can of wasp spray I had on hand...

Word to the wise, don't be wearing a shirt with a pocket when spraying wasps.

One managed to get in my pocket and hit me once, so I pulled the shirt away, thinking it was down my shirt. Nope, so let go of the shirt, BAM, the bastage hit me a second time in the chest. Figure out where it is, so grab the pack of cigarettes out of my pocket  to try and get to it and BAM he hit me in the middle of the fingerprint on my left ring finger. then flew away

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    The really CHEAP hair spray has a type of lacquer in it (water soluble lacquer). When you spray wasps and other stinging critters with it, it stops up their breathing apparatus in their abdomen and they die from asphyxiation. The lacquer also sticks to them and they can't fly and can barely move.

The bald faced hornets that build the big gray paper nests are easy to kill. Wait until its dark and sneak up and spray about half a can of starter fluid up in the nest through the hole at the bottom. Then use about a ten foot stick with a piece of newspaper tied to it and lit, and hold the burning paper under the nest. Good fireball, and they all die in their sleep! :D

Back a long time ago when I could still run ( :D  ) some of my fishing buddies and I would gather those wasp nests for bluegill fishin' bait. The concept was simple; you got a river cane pole as long as possible, about 15-20 feet, and attached a piece of wire coat hanger to the end with duct tape. The end of the wire was shaped in a V with the narrow end of the V almost mashed together to hold onto the stem of the wasp nest. In use, you snatched the wasp nest down and ran as fast as you could. With about 5 nests per person you were set up for bluegill fishing. The bluegill LOVED those grubs.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    cpj said:
    It’s bad enough getting stung, it really sucks knowing he didn’t die at your hand for his efforts. 
    I wholeheartedly agree
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Only female wasps and bees sting. The males don't have a stinger. Only female mosquitoes suck blood, too, to make eggs with. Male and female mosquitoes drink a lot of flower nectar and plant juices, but the female is the one that wants to do the vampire thing.

https://askentomologists.com/2015/09/23/why-cant-male-bees-or-wasps-sting/

http://www.prairie.illinois.edu/expo/pdf-files/mosquito-facts.pdf

Even female insects are hateful! :D

― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:

Even female insects are hateful! :D

#truth

I didn't care for wasps before today... it's progressed to hate after today's encounter

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,475 Senior Member
    Should have beat your chest like Tarzan and smashed the nasty ****
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Should have beat your chest like Tarzan and smashed the nasty ****
    Bad move there. If the stinger was inserted, doing that could squirt the whole load of venom out! Smiley on fire animated emoticon
    ― Douglas Adams
    Back before the EPA and FDA nanny state you could go to the Farmer's Co-Op and buy pure nicotine powder for dusting food crops in the garden with your dry dust sprayer, or buy the liquid stuff and spray with the fly sprayer that also sprayed DDT you got from the same Co-Op. That nicotine dust and liquid spray was pure unadulterated HELL on garden insects, and the liquid was good for wasp nests. Killed them graveyard dead, and on the garden stuff, it just washed off when you washed the vegetables.

A one gallon garden sprayer filled with diesel fuel and the nozzle set on 'Mist' setting is good for spraying down wasp nests early in the morning, or well after dark. The fine mist sticks to their abdomens and the mist acts as a surfactant and blocks their breathing apparatus. Gathering them up on a piece of paper later, and lighting the paper is somewhat satisfying. Watching your nemesis BURN is good!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    I used spray glue (3M) to clear a bunch of nests under the bench at my Gun Club. 

Use it to put up targets and it’s all I had. 

Gotta get close, but it works. Glued them bastiges to their nest or they fall, unable to fly, and get stomped on. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,611 Senior Member
    Former co-worker killed a bunch of wasps with spray, then when they dried out he sprayed them and the nest with clear, flat shellac.

He then glued the wasps back onto the nest, and hung the nest in his office.  From the ceiling.  In a corner.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A method that does not work for eliminating wasps is drowning them.  When I saw a bunch of wasps around a bird house on my aunt's lawn, it made perfect sense to my 6-year-old self to stick a garden hose in there and soak the little varmints!  Some lessons learned well once are never forgotten! 
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,851 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    Whatever you do Paul, dont shoot the nest with a 12g. It really pisses them off.

Will tell you about it one day ..........

You made that mistake too, huh?  :D
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 94 Member
    edited August 2018 #45
    We got a tip from a pest control guy back in 2015.  Use WD40 on wasps.  It kills them dead instantly, and they will not go back to the same area once the area is sprayed.  We had a TON of wasps around our old house.  We sprayed EVERY nest we could find, or every crack we saw them go into with WD40, and never had an issue the rest of the two years we were there.  It truly does last a long time.  It's the only thing we use anymore.  Something in that oil that they don't like, and it is a great deterrent.  Fun watching the little $%&#* fall dead on the spot when spraying them also.  
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!