Home Main Category Hunting

Suggestions to keep deer out of the hog corn????

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,808 Senior Member
    FOR THE LAST TIME, IT'S NOT MY ADVICE.

GOD I wish this forum had an ignore feature.

And if you notice, I stated earlier than I'm not a horn hunter. I have a 120 B&C 8pt on my wall, only because he happened to walk by first that day.
    Just as happy with a doe, or a 4pt, they eat just as well
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Go ahead and have fun, I'm through with you
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,139 Senior Member
    Easy there. Two valued members of the forum getting into a pissing contest.  It ain't worth it.  Kumbayah.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,421 Senior Member
    Ok folks.... that's enough....knock it off...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,427 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    I’ve heard somewhere, and honestly sounded like bull **** to me....pour diesel fuel over it. Hogs will eat it, deer won’t. 

cpj said:
    I’ve heard somewhere, and honestly sounded like bull **** to me....pour diesel fuel over it. Hogs will eat it, deer won’t. 
    Yes deer and coons will leave Diesel corn alone, but hogs will eat damn near anything. I put Diesel on hog corn.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    To keep deer out of the corn, soaking it down with diesel fuel will work just fine. Another method that I KNOW that works in Florida and elsewhere takes a little sweat equity. Take a post hole digger and dig a few holes about 8-10 inches deep and pour in corn to about half the hole depth, and cover with dirt. The hogs will smell it and root it out, but the deer (and nosy freakin' cows) won't bother it. Hogs have great sense of smell and are used in France to find truffle mushrooms.

Eating hog meat from hogs that have eaten corn laced with diesel fuel won't hurt you. A hogs stomach can digest just about anything. I've seen hogs eat coal from a coal pile, and even charcoal briquettes from a bag they tore open. They are omnivores and will eat just about anything, including the gut piles from a field dressed deer.

They also relish the clay skeet and trap targets, and will eat them to excess. Deadly food for hogs, too, if they consume too much.

http://www.huntinghog.com/food-habits-of-feral-hogs/clay-pigeons-are-toxic-to-feral-hogs/

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,885 Senior Member
    I am not a biologist but I have a working knowledge of animal nutrition. There is a lot more to an animals diet than just the protein content. Deer also seem to know how to balance their diet and won't over consume like a domesticated animal will. Whole corn is not that digestible either. In my little mind I have wondered why those people that are trying to grow big racks would be better served feeding mineral than corn. There are always deer tracks around my mineral feeders I have out for the cows. Paul you might want to call the game warden for your area and see what he says about your feeders and hunting over them. good luck shooting pigs.  
    . Paul you might want to call the game warden for your area and see what he says about your feeders and hunting over them. good luck shooting pigs.  
    No need to call, the regulations are quite clear about baiting being illegal. And thanks. Last night had some glitches, but hopefully tonight will work out better (for me) or worse (for the hogs)

The funky brown mineral blocks with salt attract deer for sure. When I had cows I always had those blocks out and the deer went nutz over them. Lots of deer tracks were always around that covered feeder. And if the blocks were anywhere next to the woods, the squirrels went nutz over them, too. I can remember quite a few times I'd go out checking on the cattle and there would be a grey squirrel fur pile on the mineral block across the creek next to the wooded area that the cattle would hang out in when it got hot.
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    To keep deer out of the corn, soaking it down with diesel fuel will work just fine. Another method that I KNOW that works in Florida and elsewhere takes a little sweat equity. Take a post hole digger and dig a few holes about 8-10 inches deep and pour in corn to about half the hole depth, and cover with dirt. The hogs will smell it and root it out, but the deer (and nosy freakin' cows) won't bother it. Hogs have great sense of smell and are used in France to find truffle mushrooms.

Eating hog meat from hogs that have eaten corn laced with diesel fuel won't hurt you. A hogs stomach can digest just about anything. I've seen hogs eat coal from a coal pile, and even charcoal briquettes from a bag they tore open. They are omnivores and will eat just about anything, including the gut piles from a field dressed deer.

They also relish the clay skeet and trap targets, and will eat them to excess. Deadly food for hogs, too, if they consume too m
    http://www.huntinghog.com/food-habits-of-feral-hogs/clay-pigeons-are-toxic-to-feral-hogs/

Yes that's done here too, but it's a little slower than corn on top of the ground. Seems to take the hogs a little longer to find it. With Diesel you don't need to soak the corn in it, just sprinkle a little on it. A little Diesel goes a long way. But also to draw the hogs you pour a bottle of big red on it or sprinkle some berry flavored dry, right out of the box, Jello on the corn. That will get the hogs to the corn. I suppose though that you could just pour some Big Red or sprinkle some Jello on top of the buried corn too. Yeah there's more than one way to skin a cat or kill a hog..
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited August 2018 #42
    Actually in truth, at least here in Texas where baiting is permitted for all hunting except Migratory birds, if you have an electronic feeder you can simply put Jello on the corn in the feeder and there's plenty to go around for both deer and hogs. However, my youngest son claims hogs are more likely to come to a pile of corn instead of the sprinkling on the ground that most feeders throw. I'm not sure I buy that 100% but that's just another opinion I wanted to add.
    knitepoet said:
    "Supplemental feeding" is legal here, but there are set guidelines between "feeding" and  "baiting"

Here's the langauge, as published by the state in the '18-'19 regs magazine

The“Area Definition” is still in effect. Regulation 220-2-
    .157, “as it applies to the hunting of deer and feral
    swine, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that
    any bait or feed located beyond 100 yards from the
    hunter and not within the line of sight of the hunter,
    is not a lure, attraction, or enticement to, on, or over
    the area where the hunter is attempting to kill or
    take the deer or feral swine. “Not within the line
    of sight” means being hidden from view by natural
    vegetation or naturally occurring terrain features.”

knitepoet said:
    "Supplemental feeding" is legal here, but there are set guidelines between "feeding" and  "baiting"

Here's the langauge, as published by the state in the '18-'19 regs magazine

The“Area Definition” is still in effect. Regulation 220-2-
    .157, “as it applies to the hunting of deer and feral
    swine, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that
    any bait or feed located beyond 100 yards from the
    hunter and not within the line of sight of the hunter,
    is not a lure, attraction, or enticement to, on, or over
    the area where the hunter is attempting to kill or
    take the deer or feral swine. “Not within the line
    of sight” means being hidden from view by natural
    vegetation or naturally occurring terrain features.”

I don't agree but I can at least see somewhat reason for making baiting illegal for deer. Deer are game. But for hogs? Gimme a break! That's mindless for the State's biologist or whoever to make baiting hogs illegal. They're taking the world over and everybody is trying to come up with ways to kill more of them faster. Heck they shoot em out of choppers here. In most states there's no wrong way to kill a hog.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,205 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #44
    If you want a 'no fail' bait, go to your nearest bakery and buy a bucket of bread mix after they add the yeast.......
    If you get it before it rises, make sure you have a couple of spare buckets handy as it will expand to about 2 1/2 times the amount.
    Hogs will smell it from miles away and come running.

My local bakery will sell me a bucket ( 5 gallon) for about $10 and I get about 2 1/2 buckets out of it after it has risen.

You can always mix some up yourself but I worked out it was cheaper to get it from the bakery as they get their ingredients a lot cheaper......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Check your PMs

Deer don't handle dried corn on the cob too well, but it's no problem for the hogs. If you can find some field corn that's dried on the cob, and can work a deal with the owner of the corn, then getting a bushel or three would keep the deer from getting too much of it.
    ― Douglas Adams