Home Main Category Hunting

Bonded bullets

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,977 Senior Member
Who uses, or has used them?
And what sort of experience have you had with them?

I have 3 types on hand.
A partial box of original Swift Sirocco 75gr .224" bullet
2+ boxes of Nosler "Bonded Perfomance" 64gr .224" (1/2 box actually on hand, 2 boxes of "Blems" en-route, due Monday)
2 boxes of Hornady "Interbond" seconds 150gr .308"

Of the 3, the only one I've taken game with is one whitetail spike @ ~155 yards with the Nosler a couple of years ago, in  a 223 AR
Deer was at a severe quartering towards me angle. I put the bullet into the left, front side of the chest, between the neck and shoulder.
The bullet penetrated diagonally, cut an approximately 1" oval hole through the next to last rib on the right side and continued about an inch further under the hide, just past the last rib.

After losing the 2 hogs I shot with the Hornady 62gr match HPs this past Sunday night, I'm going back to the Noslers in my hunting 223. Not because I think the Hornadys failed, but since I didn't recover either animal, I don't know if it was a bullet, trigger nut or a combination of both failure. Going with a bullet I KNOW how performs helps eliminate the the bullet from the equation. If they don't die as expected, I'll know it was my fault.

So, there's my limited experience with them, so please tell me about your experiences with them.

Here's the Nosler 64gr I recovered from that spike

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    I have used:

62gr Speer GD (.223 Rem)
    64gr Speer GD (.223 Rem)
    165gr Traphy Bonded Besrclaw (.308 win)
    225gr Accubond (.35 Whelen)

To good effect with mediocre accuracy, adequate or complete penetration. 

Loaded:

130gr Swift Scirrocco II (6.5-284 Win)

Good accuracy. No terminal experience. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

I've used 139 grain Interbonds in my .284.  I've taken a buck antelope and a buck mule deer with it.  I can't complain about the performance.

I don't know if the Speer Grand Slam qualifies as a bonded bullet, but it's my favorite for anything larger than deer.  I've taken antelope, deer and elk with them in  my 284, 7mag and 338x284, and have no complaints.   Accuracy is entirely acceptable, and it what it's supposed to do.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,925 Senior Member
    Son shot two Oryx with a 180 gr rem corlok bonded in .30-06 and said
    got good performance and a good mushroom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,977 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I forgot:

225gr Speer Deep Curl (.338 WM)

Good accuracy, no terminal performance yet. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,561 Senior Member
    I have some Speer Deep Curl pistol bullets. Time has not allowed me familiarity yet.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    Due to some so far unexplained accuracy issues with my 375 today, I'm planning on using Federal Fuzion  on my bear hunt. I do believe those are bonded bullets. Hopefully I have a range report. Other than that I've carried Accubonds that never got used. For the most part I've moved to mono metal bullets or basic cup and core, nothing really in between except the Fed ammo. 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    My only big game experience with a bonded bullet is the 7mm Nosler AccuBond that I used on African game with my 7mm-08.  Terminal performance was excellent in that everything went down as expected.  My beef was with how incredible the meat damage was for such a relatively slow, 2700 fps velocity it was using.  I switch to the Barnes TTSX in that gun and the meat damage issue went away.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,568 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I forgot:

When can we expect a proper evaluation of a 1000 yard shot on a whitetail?
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,286 Senior Member
    Zee is sneakier than 1000 yds. The cabbage smell is good cover.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    mitdr774 said:
    Zee said:
    I forgot:

When can we expect a proper evaluation of a 1000 yard shot on a whitetail?
    Not with THAT bullet!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,598 Senior Member
    I dropped my one, and only, elk with a 200 gr., 308 Accubond.
    The bullet went through about 3 feet of elk, including about a bushel of wet grass in its stomach, liver, lung, heart, and exited the point of the offside shoulder.  The elk ran maybe 30 yards before dropping.

From  a load that prints .75 MOA groups, and leaves at 3100 fps.
    And, will split your face wide open!😁
    To say I'm  a fan is an understatement.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

I've used 139 grain Interbonds in my .284.  I've taken a buck antelope and a buck mule deer with it.  I can't complain about the performance.

I don't know if the Speer Grand Slam qualifies as a bonded bullet, but it's my favorite for anything larger than deer.  I've taken antelope, deer and elk with them in  my 284, 7mag and 338x284, and have no complaints.   Accuracy is entirely acceptable, and it what it's supposed to do.

I've got some Speer Grand Slam 150s for my .270 my youngest son left me when he went in the Army in January, 2006. I've never used them because mostly all I hunt is deer and hogs. He told me he had pass throughs with them and it didn't anchor them down before they escaped to the brush line. But I've been tempted to try them. I only have like 40.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Who uses, or has used them?
    And what sort of experience have you had with them?

I have 3 types on hand.
    A partial box of original Swift Sirocco 75gr .224" bullet
    2+ boxes of Nosler "Bonded Perfomance" 64gr .224" (1/2 box actually on hand, 2 boxes of "Blems" en-route, due Monday)
    2 boxes of Hornady "Interbond" seconds 150gr .308"

Of the 3, the only one I've taken game with is one whitetail spike @ ~155 yards with the Nosler a couple of years ago, in  a 223 AR
    Deer was at a severe quartering towards me angle. I put the bullet into the left, front side of the chest, between the neck and shoulder.
    The bullet penetrated diagonally, cut an approximately 1" oval hole through the next to last rib on the right side and continued about an inch further under the hide, just past the last rib.

After losing the 2 hogs I shot with the Hornady 62gr match HPs this past Sunday night, I'm going back to the Noslers in my hunting 223. Not because I think the Hornadys failed, but since I didn't recover either animal, I don't know if it was a bullet, trigger nut or a combination of both failure. Going with a bullet I KNOW how performs helps eliminate the the bullet from the equation. If they don't die as expected, I'll know it was my fault.

So, there's my limited experience with them, so please tell me about your experiences with them.

Here's the Nosler 64gr I recovered from that spike

Where I hunt the the brush is damn near impenetrable so I need a bullet that is pretty frangible and will kill very quickly. I like spine and neck or head shots for this reason. I know there are several bullets that will penetrate and kill well, but when the animal only has about 10-20 yards to run to pay dirt I can't really afford to take a chance. In the past I've talked about it and was frustrated with what I called bullet failure. It really isn't failure, its the situation where I hunt. In a more forgiving environment I could use many different bullets but there I need something that wreaks havoc on the animal. That's why I usually use ballistic tips or SGKs. The one exception is my 9.3 x 62. The one deer I killed with it went straight to the ground with a shot through the front shoulder like I dropped a piano on it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,286 Senior Member
    jbohio said:
    The bullet went through about 3 feet of elk, including about a bushel of wet grass in its stomach, liver, lung, heart, and exited the point of the offside shoulder.  The elk ran maybe 30 yards before dropping.

Somebody did a good job gutting that elk a documenting the bullet path :*
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    jbohio said:

If only he would've dropped right there, or ran 30 yards the OTHER direction haha
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    snake284 said:

I've got some Speer Grand Slam 150s for my .270 my youngest son left me when he went in the Army in January, 2006. I've never used them because mostly all I hunt is deer and hogs. He told me he had pass throughs with them and it didn't anchor them down before they escaped to the brush line. But I've been tempted to try them. I only have like 40.

Snake, if memory serves, the first antelope I ever killed was with a .270 shooting 150 gain Grand Slams.  It was a 200 yard shot, give or take, and I hit in the rib case.  I'm pretty sure it was a pass thru, but the buck went down right where he was standing when I shot.

Everything else I've taken with Grand Slam bullets have been hits on bone, with the exception of a spike bull elk at about 75 yards.  The spike was quartering toward me, and I hit it right behind the near side shoulder.  The bullet raked it's ribs, completely pulverizing the chest cavity, and exited right before the near side hind quarter.  The spike ran about 30-40 yards before dropping.

I've never lost a game animal that I made a solid hit on with a Grand Slam.

Jerry

CHIRO1989 said:
    jbohio said:

Absolutely! I had lots of good help that day.  
    Ever seen a half of an elk roll down a mountain, while strapped in a sled?😆
    If only he would've dropped right there, or ran 30 yards the OTHER direction haha
    Man, isn't that the truth!  
    jbohio said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    jbohio said:

Absolutely! I had lots of good help that day.  
    Ever seen a half of an elk roll down a mountain, while strapped in a sled?😆
    I had forgotten about that!! 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,630 Senior Member
    Do Barnes TTSX's count?  I've executed or been party to five deer kills from either the 150 grain 7mm or the 168 grain .30.

Expect straight line penetration, about 1" to 1.25" exit wounds and good internal bleeds.  My 2014 buck took a  back-of-rib-cage to just-behind-opposite-shoulder quartering shot.  The lung damage was along a four-petal tear pattern; apparently displaced off the four-petal nose of the expanded bullet.  Solid hits seem to allow them to move zero to ten yards before expiring.  Meat damage is minimal unless of course you run into the long bones.  Don't expect much in the way of a hydrostatic stun from these - it's essentially an archery broadhead with some moderate displacement effects
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Monometals are a whole different beast of their own. With a bonded I'll use the same weight Id use normal lead. Mono I step down 1 or 2 weights.  
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,954 Senior Member

Not sure why the GrandSlam fell out of the writers graces? It is a tough bullet with very acceptable accuracy. I remember reading African stories and many were using GS’s in the 70’s and 80’s. I feel they are an excellent bullet.

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Speer has trouble keeping up with consumer demand. What with all their contracts and such, it would seem. 

Speculative, yes. But, when I look at availability as a whole, more Speer bullets seem to be “out of stock” and for longer periods. 
    Zee said:
    Speer has trouble keeping up with consumer demand. What with all their contracts and such, it would seem. 

Speculative, yes. But, when I look at availability as a whole, more Speer bullets seem to be “out of stock” and for longer periods. 

I've noticed that, too.  The last time I found .338 GS bullets available, I bought 200 of them.  And, they don't seem to make them in .358, which is too bad.

Oh well.  It's not like there's a shortage of good bullets in the world.

Jerry

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,561 Senior Member
    I was thinking/remembering about this the other day. Back before the internet and abundant information in gun rags to consumers, my initial bubba type bullet testing consisted of sandy dirt packed in a cast iron skillet and subsequently burried in a berm. I was soley concerned with pistol bullets, and found that hard impacts in such a hard medium resulted in almost universal jacket separation.

I guess people were having occasionally similar results with rifle bullets in game. Been a world of change since then.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Are Nosler Partitions bonded bullets? If so, I've had outstanding luck with them in .243 Winchester.  I've killed 36 deer and never recovered a bullet....robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,977 Senior Member
    HAWKEN said:
    Are Nosler Partitions bonded bullets?
    No sir, they're not