Home Main Category General Firearms

Scrap pile Ultralight

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,871 Senior Member
Another build is off to the smith this week. I've managed to wrangle up lots of bits and pieces through eBay, sales and classifieds for what should end up being a sub 6 lbs rifle!

M70 Classic (currently a BOSS 270) - Cabela's online used Library
Rifles, Inc Strata stock (lightest stock I have ever handled to date) - Ebay
M70 Featherweight Compact 7-08 barrel - Ebay
Talley ultra light/super low rings - some random optics webpage on sale
VX-1 2-7x33 (maybe, its on another gun currently) - BPS discontinued close out
140 pc of 284 Win brass - classifieds

Smith is going to rechamber and install shortly, and cerakote the barreled action. I'll be doing another krylon camo job on the stock.  

Now I just need dies!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,280 Senior Member
    Thank God!

When I saw the title, I thought you were building something to lauch off lookout mnt in.

Carry on.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    Those are generally found at the bottom of Lookout Mountain. :D

Sako
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    I never go up Lookout Mt, it smells like transplants and liberals up there
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    6lb 7mm-08?  Looking forward to your range and field reports...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS said:

D
    6lb 284 Winchester. I'm rechambering a 7-08
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    FWIW, I have a 1955 M-70 featherweight .358 Win. in a super light kevlar/graphite stock,  it has a 1.75-4.5 Bushnell scope in Millett steel rings and bases, with a sling and Uncle Mikes QD swivels  no ammo it weights 6 1/2 lbs.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:

D
    To rechamber, do you just ream the chamber and headspace the bolt, or so you also need a new bolt face?
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:
    BigDanS said:

D
    To rechamber, do you just ream the chamber and headspace the bolt, or so you also need a new bolt face?
    .284 Winchester is a rebated rim with .473” bolt face diameter. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    BigDanS said:
    BigDanS said:

D

284 vs 7-08

As FBD mentioned, it has the same rim diameter, but it is a rebated case. The base is .501 so its bigger around than the 7mm-08 in every dimension but the same rim. Case capacity is pretty much the same as a 280 Rem. And since I'll be building this gun in a long action, I won't be losing capacity to seating bullets deep. 
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    That sounds like a pretty sweet build!
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    Someone refresh my memory, or school me on the 284W.

Wasn't it intended to be a short action equivalent/competition  to the 7RM? 

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    41magnut said:
    Someone refresh my memory, or school me on the 284W.

Wasn't it intended to be a short action equivalent/competition  to the 7RM? 

From my reading and limited understanding it is the original WSM. designed to get .280 Remington (maybe 7RM) our of a short action. Namely the Winchester Model 88. Really a cartridge that comes to life in a LA.  

I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,922 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:

D
    I approve this post. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Farm Boy is right, it was supposed to be a 280/270 short action equivalent. Only problem was heavier bullets bit into the powder space in order to fit in the Model 88 and 100's magazines. Seated out with some space in the magazine it'll be the full equal of the 280 Rem with pretty much any range of bullet. 

But, seeing as I am going to be running a 20" barrel it'll still outperform the 7mm-08, but probably short of the 280.