Home Main Category Hunting

Big Chage for Archery Season: bought a Mathews Triax

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
edited August 2018 in Hunting #1
For two ownership generations, I've shot Hoyt bows: a 2007 Vulcan and a 2013 Carbon Element.  But...I'm not at all brand loyal....I want the best.  

This year, I went to my local archery shop with something on my mind outside of the brand.  While my Hoy bows shot dependably and definitely killed deer, they were loud for their pricetags, ESPECIALLY the Carbon Element.  After hearing just how quiet Mathews previous offerings had been, I wanted to see just how quiet their current flagship bow was.  I was so out of the loop, I didn't even know that the Triax is their current flagship bow is when I walked into the shop a few months ago.  As soon as I shot it, I immediately placed an order for a lefty version.  It is, hands down, the quietest bow I have ever experienced, the draw cycle is amazing and the back wall is rock solid.

So, I just got back from my deployment and the bow has been waiting for me.  Today, I finally picked it up.

The Mathews promo video features a true-to-life comparison of the Triax sound level against the competition - the difference is assuredly "staggering' as stated in the promo, and could absolutely make or break a shot on a deer, especially as the range stretches.  The Triax is shot after a series of other bows in the clip, and it's like night and day:

So, I have a new bow from a brand that I've never previously owned, which means I have a LOT of work to do before the 1 October Iowa archery deer season opener.  I'll get it there, and I really think the process is going to be a lot of fun with a bow this stealthy.

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,974 Senior Member
    Have fun with it :star:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,235 Senior Member
    Nice, pretty sure that's the model I tried at a bow shop near me a while ago. Loved it but sticker shock scared me away. Bought a crossbow with the hopes of getting out during archery season here but my brother buggered his knee and he's my ticket onto the private ground we hunt.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,556 Senior Member
    Don't know anything about bows, but it looks like technological marvel.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,414 Senior Member
    I have always liked Mathews Bows. Hoyt too. 

I have both.............albeit.......vintage. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Tom - I hope the private land works out for you.  I have a crossbow and love it.  It's a versatile tool that offer flexibility in the field, opening opportunities that may not otherwise be available.  Yeah, the flagship bows are not cheap, but incredibly, this was several hundred dollars cheaper than my previous Hoyt, as that bow has a carbon fiber riser. 

Early - they are assuredly a technological marvel these days.  The amount of noise/vibration reduction crossed with unprecedented speed is amazing.

Zee - I will actually own both now, too.  The Hoyt is going to have the poundage dropped to 40 lbs. and setup as a bowfishing rig.  It's days are not done, which is pretty cool, since bowfishing is a new realm for me altogether.
    edited August 2018 #7
    Oh, yeah - the Mathews lines have always been very quiet.  This thing  is just beyond anything I had ever heard before.  Hoyt always had some features like weight or ergonomics that kept me interested, but their flagships have not added much to what my Carbon Element already has to offset the noise, and are running $1600 for the bare bow.  The Triax, while noticeably heavier, runs 30% less pricewise and is a whisper in comparison.  Extra weight isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,001 Senior Member
    My dad was always been a Hoyt guy and still has his newest Hoyt.  But, he switched to the Triax and also has a Halon.  He loves them both.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,862 Senior Member
    Historically I'm a big Hoyt fan, but Mathews has me interested. I'm hoping to get back in to archery after my next move. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    edited August 2018 #10
    Mathews definitely didn’t come to play on this go-around.  Reading up after I had already decided on the Triax, it turned out the Outdoor Life had selected it as their Editor’s Choice winner in their year’s gear test, and countless other places had also felt it was the best new bow for 2018.  I already knew it was great just from shooting it, but it was good to see outside affirmation.

I love archery season, especially in gun-centric states, if for no other reason than the dramatic decrease in pressure. You can actually pattern deer on public land if you find the right area.  It makes for a much more satisfying hunt when you aren’t contending with the Orange Army.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,346 Senior Member
    The title says 'Archery' yet I don't see anything archery related within the thread???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    It’s a bow.  It shoots arrows.  ‘Tis archery.

Now traditional archery will be a whole other thread.  I’ve been in cahoots with cpj on something.
    I need to check out my arrow making gear. I left it all up here with my brother. Get some thinner in the paint tubes and see if they are still usable.......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    That's some dedication.

I fletch my own, but that's about it.  Speaking of arrows, I went to the range today fully expecting a serious tuning session to get my broadheads and field points hitting to the same point of aim.  I discovered that would not be necessary.  After a quick paper tune, I pulled out the block and zeroed my field points at 20 yards.  

Switched to the my 125 gr. Slick Trick broadhead and boom.  It shot dead-on with the field point out of the gate at 20 yards.  THAT was impressive.  I have NEVER had a compound shoot the broadhead to the exact same POI as the field points with zero adjustment.  Ever.  Until today.

cpj said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    The title says 'Archery' yet I don't see anything archery related within the thread???
    Trust me. He’s forgiven. Or will be. And hated. Very much hated. 
    You know that I know that you know what may or may not be going down over the long haul...
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wow, looks like a Transformer of some kind.

Amazing what they have done with bow technology.

How many pounds of pull can you with it, if that is the correct terminology.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Six-Gun said:
    cpj said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    You know that I know that you know what may or may not be going down over the long haul...
    I think that I know what he knows that you may or may not get...................

My brother won one in a raffle at a bow shoot. I still haven't tried it..............
    Boy, their website suxz.......
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,924 Senior Member
    Turn in your man card----it is supposed to be a Bear bow.
    Big Chief said:

Chief - the technology and how they dampen vibration (and kill noise accordingly) is incredible.  There ae so many little design tweaks to max out accuracy these days, it’s hard to follow. There are some tradeoffs that you can make, of ourse.  This new bow shoots about 10 fps slower than my old one, but I’ll take it when a shot won’t spook a deer as readily.
    Six-Gun said:
    cpj said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    You’re onto something...and yes, their website sucks.
    NN said:
    Turn in your man card----it is supposed to be a Bear bow.
    Bear’s new bows are still pretty impressive values.  They don’t tend to be the top of the line, but they give a great value for the dollar spent.
    There was a guy making modern copies of classic Bear bows, but he had health issues................. https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Does some great things with the Cocobologna wood!!

That are some serious replicas. Impressive workmanship.
    Big Chief said:

Oh, and to answer your question about draw weight, mine will go all the way up to 70 lbs of pull, but I have it set at 65 lbs.  With 90% let-off from that peak weight at full draw, it’s cake to hold back.  In fact, my support arm fatigues well before my drawing arm.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,583 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Big Chief said:

Oh, and to answer your question about draw weight, mine will go all the way up to 70 lbs of pull, but I have it set at 65 lbs.  With 90% let-off from that peak weight at full draw, it’s cake to hold back.  In fact, my support arm fatigues well before my drawing arm.
    I know nothing about bows, does that mean the draw weight is 65 lbs, but once at full draw its only 6.5 lbs to hold it?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Big Chief said:

I know nothing about bows, does that mean the draw weight is 65 lbs, but once at full draw its only 6.5 lbs to hold it?
    That is correct.except that I mistyped - it's 85% letoff.  So at a 65 lb. draw I'm holding 9.75 lbs.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,583 Senior Member
    That must make a huge difference in aiming and waiting for the best shot.
    Technology that aids in a clean kill is OK with me. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    That must make a huge difference in aiming and waiting for the best shot.
    Technology that aids in a clean kill is OK with me. 
    It does.  You can draw much sooner than you otherwise would and hold for longer.  I'm not kidding when I tell you that the arm holding up the bow will fatigue before the arm holding back the string.
    edited August 2018 #30
    cpj said:
    My last compound was 65%.  80% was out, but I couldn’t get used to holding so little weight. Never felt right to me. I shot worse with the 80, aamof. 

Now, I shoot a 0% let off. 😬
    My other-other bow is a 0% letoff.  I hold that puppy bac for like .5 seconds before letting it rip, even at 40 lbs.

It's funny you mention a lower let-off.  They actually offer this bow in a 75% let-off for people who want or need to hold a little more weight to shoot accurately.  I've decided that if I need to feel more weight, I can just pull harder against the backwall.  Wait for the critter to come clear, then pull a little harder before releasing.

Interestingly, 80% was the max legal let-off for a lot of states until recently.  I really don't know why they even bother publishing that anymore.  They all seem to just slide the line as technology improves and let-off percentage goes up with each new bow generation.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,220 Senior Member
    I'm old and weak and don't hunt.  When I did, it was with a longbow or a recurve.  Not so long ago. 

The new bows are interesting and flat shooting.  I'm not totally sure you need all that speed for hunting, but it can't hurt.  The thing is to get up close as you can; my buddy shot a cow elk up close with a 50# hickory longbow that followed the string about an inch and a half.  Because of good placement the arrow penetrated both lungs to the other side, where it lodged inside the hide there.  It took him two days to hoppus the meat back to his camp.

It's been at least 40 years since I shot a compound bow.  About 3 years since I shot a recurve.  I didn't suck at it.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.