Home Main Category General Firearms

Wow, a 20mm rifle fer $99 bucks back in the day

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,408 Senior Member
    That rifle was part of the plot in a great book and the title eludes me at the moment.  Yep, you used to be able to mail order those...
    Unintended Consequences.

I used the Lathi as a demonstration of Gun Control being a failure to an anti-gun person.  Back in the 50s and 60s, you could buy semi auto, mag fed anti-tank rifles through the mail with no age or background check, and have the postman leave it on your doorstep.  That could have shot completely THROUGH a school.  Now, we have all this gun control and more and more bad things seem to happen.  Availability of guns is not the issue.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,093 Senior Member
    That rifle was part of the plot in a great book and the title eludes me at the moment.  Yep, you used to be able to mail order those...
    Solothurn is the firearm you are thinking of, also 20MM 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I remember the full page ads in Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and Sports Afield back in the 1960s. I remember buying from those ads before 1968, too. Took a while to scrape together the money, but when I did, I gave it to my parents and they sent off a check for the rifle for me. Those were the good old days, IF you could get together the money to order that stuff. And there was a Army-Navy Surplus store in most every town back then, too, that sold that stuff. Halcyon days indeed! Going into one of those stores with $20 (a veritable fortune for a kid barely in his teens) could end up with all manner of implements of destruction! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,317 Senior Member
    Between the Lahti and the Solothurn, the latter is a much more sophisticated weapon, very finely machined with amazing optics... The round is somewhat shorter than the 20 X 102 mm round currently in use...bullet diameter was slightly smaller as well...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #6
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 108 Member
    You know...it's a funny (and related to the OP) aside...even as a cop for all those years, sometimes you still root for the non-violent bank robbers when (no one is hurt) they are really creative and do some epic ****.  Using a 20mm anti tank rifle to blow a vault...that definitely qualifies as "epic" especially when you consider they used a DeSoto.  Mister C's car from Happy Days.

ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 108 Member
    tennmike said:
    I remember the full page ads in Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and Sports Afield back in the 1960s. I remember buying from those ads before 1968, too. Took a while to scrape together the money, but when I did, I gave it to my parents and they sent off a check for the rifle for me. Those were the good old days, IF you could get together the money to order that stuff. And there was a Army-Navy Surplus store in most every town back then, too, that sold that stuff. Halcyon days indeed! Going into one of those stores with $20 (a veritable fortune for a kid barely in his teens) could end up with all manner of implements of destruction! :D
    Amen to that.  Now it seems like surplus stores are just filled with over priced Chinese made fake tacticool garbage and a few morale patches and stickers.

ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY