Home Main Category Hunting

Headed out for our first night hunt for hogs

2»

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,526 Senior Member
    There is a really good chance those surviving pigs will not come back to that spot again.  Pigs learn fast on stuff like that.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    If KP keeps putting out the corn and doesn't pressure them, they will probably come back a few more times.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,924 Senior Member
    Bummer, but, exciting-----Hey
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,284 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    No joy, even in the daylight.
    Went back to the approximately 5' circle in the blood trail. Huge drop of blood on a limb, then trail turned to the right and literally made a circle. Once it ran back into itself "poof" no more blood.
    I spent close to an hour searching in widening circles trying to pick it back up and... NOTHING, it's almost like it was a magic healing circle and they quit bleeding. Never seen anything like it, and only the second time in nearly 40 years of hunting that I've seen that good of a blood trail just STOP and there not be a dead animal at the end of it.

Nearly 75 yards of a blood trail a blind man could follow... then... NOTHING
    Should have used a .270
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,974 Senior Member
    There is a really good chance those surviving pigs will not come back to that spot again.  Pigs learn fast on stuff like that.
    Spot on Bullsi.
    The game cam on that field hasn't captured a pic of a pig since.

However, now a sounder of 5 pigs has "magically" appeared at the other field/corn dump. (500-750 yards away)

Funny thing is, its make up is nearly identical to the one I was seeing at the other one minus 1 medium sized pig and 1 shoat. (I shot 1 medium sized pig and 1 shoat the other night)

Strange how that matches up LOL.

That field has a 2 person shooting house, so wife and I are hunting it together. We've already discussed the plan, and counting down to fire the first shots together, so HOPEFULLY when we catch them out there, we can wreak havoc on them.
     Last night, the only visitor while we were there was this deer.

The camera function on my NV scope SUCKS, the view through the scope was much clearer than this pic makes it appear

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #37
    Looks like you made good on some action while was on the last leg of my deployment.  Sucks about the escape, but awesome that you made good use of your gear to knock down some pigs.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Thanks
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Headed out tonight to try again.
    Went and put 80# more corn out this morning and "sweetened" it with 5# of sourdough starter. A suggestion Orchidman gave me via PM.

Going to get out there a little earlier, because @ 7:36 last night, from the look of its hams, a rather LARGE hog cam through. Look on the left edge

I decided what the game camera showed would determine if we hunted tonight. The pic above from last night, and this one from 7:35pm the day before convinced me/us to hunt tonight. We'll be there before 7:00pm

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,424 Senior Member
    What are you using as far as cartridge?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited August 2018 #41
    Zee said:
    What are you using as far as cartridge?
    I'm using a 20" 223 with 64gr bonded @ ~3kfps, wife was using 300bo with 125gr SCHP @ ~2250fps
    Max range is 155yards (lased) camera is 151yds from the shooting house

1 hog showed up tonight at around 2230hrs at ~90 yards, wife and I both got on it, and fired as one. I was on the head, she was aiming @ the shoulder. The muzzle flash from the unsuppressed BO blinded both scopes and we couldn't find any blood, roaming around the area we THINK it was in when we shot.

Her NV scope took a dump twice. for some reason, even though it shows the icon for running off of external power, it killed 2 sets of batteries and wouldn't power back up.
    I'm still within the 30 day, no questions asked, return window for Optics planet and have already submitted a return request and printed off the pre-paid shipping label.

Having a little more experience with the ATN X-Sight II 3-14x, I am replacing the defective one with the 5-20x model. Since the 223 has longer "legs" than the BO, I'll be putting the 5-20x on the 223 and swapping the 3-14x to the BO

Unfamiliar with this optic you are using but am with others. 

Is there a different zero for day day and night fire or do you only have to zero in daylight?

edited August 2018 #44
    Daylight only

Jay seems to know more about this particular model than anyone else on here. He gave me quite a few good tips and such when I posted a thread asking about them
    (And if you read this Jay, THANKS again :beer:)

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,001 Senior Member
    No problem. 👍
    Im curious about the issues your having. Since you can return it without question, seems to be the best way to go. Otherwise, I’d try updating the software again, just to see. Might be a software issue. I haven’t upgraded mine since I got it. Might be a older version than yours. 

Another thing to double check on your zero is that the zoom doesn’t change before you go into the zero function to after. I zoom mine all the way in, the next go into the zero procedure and leave it zoomed all the way in until after I’ve exited the zero procedure. Changing zoom during the process does throw it off. Once it’s set, it I should supposed to correct itself based on the range and zoom setting, as well as incline and decline angle, based on the ballistic info entered into the scope. Since you’ve had a couple of possible misses or unsure hits, I’d maybe make sure you haven the ballistic profile is entered as correctly as possible and go through the zero process again, zoomed all the way in from start to finish. That’s how I did mine, anyway. And I’ve hit 10”x12” steel with mine at 300 yards without a problem. 
    Sorry for all the typos. My iPad doesn’t play well with this forum. My fingers go much faster than the letters appear, then autocorrect takes over and puts whatever it wants every time I hit the space bar. 😡
    I also definitely have a problem with muzzle flash blinding my scope. I’ve mentioned it before. My brake has a solid bottom and directs all the blast out the top. It blinds my scope for several seconds after every shot at night. Which is a big problem. I’ll be changing to a different muzzle device very soon. Or maybe I’ll just rotate my brake 180 degrees.  :D
    I’m still curious as to why these things ain’t dying!

With head shots being taken (along with body), I can only assume it's placement.  As a brain shot is a lights out endeavor. 

Hence my question regarding the night time zero. 

What do you think is causing the problem with hitting the target?

I know the first outing resulted in a lot of blood and no pig. I’m still thinking it’s placement, though. 
    Might try shooting a group on paper at night to ascertain if there is any unforeseen deviation in the day/night setting. Or something?!?
    edited August 2018 #50
    Well since wife wants higher magnification on her rifle, the working one is going back as well.

Once I get the 2 5-20xs in, I may test the zero, though for clarity, we both pretty much shoot on the lowest magnification.

I don't doubt the possibility of shot placement issues. While I've researched it online, the 3 I've recently shot at are the only 3 hogs I've ever shot at.

That was one of the reasons i went back the next day looking for those first 2.

edited August 2018 #51
    Might not be a bad idea to double check zero at night as well. I did with mine. Sight in during the day, confirmed after dark. Both at 100 yards. Mine was good to go. Those things don’t have a normal moa up/down, left/right adjustment. They use x/y coordinates for their zero, and then adjust the x/y coordinates based on ballistic information (manually entered), distance, elevation, incline and decline angles etc.  they’ll also adjust for wind, if the wind is manually entered. I just leave mine at 0 wind. Not really a useable function in the field, IMO. 

All that to say, these scopes do things differently and have a lot of variables they take into account. I’d probably re zero in the evening, wait till dark and confirm zero. 

Also, I know you were going for a zero of a little high at 100. Considering all the variables the scope uses, I’d probably zero dead on at 100.  You could then find the yardage setting on the scope that gives you the + or - at given distances that you want. Say, zero at 100, then set the scope to 75 yards. That’s just an example. It’ll depend on the ballistics and all. At least then you have the option when you’re hunting from a fixed position, when you get to you’re stand and power up, set it at 155, aim, fire. 

Just something to ponder 
    Also, one more thing I just considered. If you leave your scope set at 100 yards, then take a close shot at something that causes you to have to aim at a downward angle, the scope will be adjusting your poa for a 100 yard shot at that angle. The scope doesn’t know you’re shooting down at a pig at 30 yards. It thinks you’re shooting 30 degrees downward at a 100 yard target (again, just an example). Could be the same if you’re shooting down from your stand. Scope set at 100 yards and correcting for a downward angle at that distance, but the actual distance is 155 yards. Could be that’s enough to move your poi enough to make a difference of a few inches. I’m not sure. 
    Yeah, I've noticed all the "gadgets and gizmos" attached.