Home Main Category Hunting

Compass, GPS, or both?

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,289 Senior Member
    Mine's an older model, a 72 if I remember correctly. It'll run for several days - if on for while hiking, not 24 hours. I like the backtrack feature, but you need to leave it on so it can record your plot.

I know there are some newer GPS modules that use next to no power.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,611 Senior Member
    Amazing what one can do with one of those things if you just think "outside the box."
    Overkill is underrated.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,289 Senior Member
    Very versatile - they make great targets too!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,136 Senior Member
    Unless you have a topo map, a compass is pretty well limited to line-topo features, like a river or a highway to locate you.  I used to be pretty fair and topographic map reading, was never great but only got lost one time...in VN.  Didn't amount to a whole lot, but robbed me of a lot of self-confidence.  I carried two compasses; a lensatic compass for precision work and a wrist compass as a general finder of direction.  I've got a compass on my wrist watch now.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,135 Senior Member
    I do a compass, phone, and gps. My big problem is that I got to actually get out and hunt more. It is kind of hard to get lost when you aren't actually out there.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,445 Senior Member
    All I need to know is what direction the truck is in. Check compass leaving truck, recheck to return. Im not negotiating terrain in enemy territory, only looking for game animals.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,856 Senior Member
    Couple of weeks ago went fishing with a couple of my buddies, and took a small compass in my bag just in case. As I know these clowns, I assumed they'd get lost and indeed it was exactly what happened; we had to literally take one of the Dakkar rally's routs (Driver is involved in the competition) that allegedly both have traveled quite a few times, literally 50 miles of desert with no cell phone coverage right after leaving the highway, and very few recognizable landmarks to guide you.
    To add injury to insult, thick dawn fog covered everything, with almost no visibility for lots of the trip; fortunately driver before leaving home downloaded an app called Maps Me, including a map of the area, and despite having no signal, it pretty much guided us straight to the fishing zone's entry beach....excellent!

Have used an app like that (Gaia?) this in similar conditions a couple of times this summer in a friend's motorboat to find one of our surfing spots; a tad tricky since during low tide and with thick morning fog you can easily hit a reef while closing in, but it took us right to the anchoring zone; we had a compass on board too and I've been at that place for decades so could have oriented me close enough to destiny with it, but man, these phones are surely getting smart, so why bother?

Those wondering, didn't fished a thing since according to more experienced fishermen this is a bad season....otherwise I'd be bragging the catch here :D....nice trip though, with lots of off-roading.
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    The phone works great until you enter an area where your phone loses service (such as happened to me). That happens and the compass and GPS no workie.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,856 Senior Member
    That's what I was wondering; in our case the apps work with previously downloaded maps since the minute we left the road for the desert the signal (Phone and internet) went completely out; no antennas around in 40 miles or so of remote terrain. In fact to save battery we put the phones in airplane mode so it won't be searching in vain for any available signal.