Home Main Category General Firearms

If you like the Browning Hi Power

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,559 Senior Member
Tisas, out of Turkey, may have an option for you.  They have a pistol they call a Regent BR9 that's a modern-production Hi Power.  Reviews seem good, it's throated and the ramp set up for hollowpoints.  Finishes available are either black Cerakote or stainless steel.  Comes with 3-dot sights.  Only issue is that they have the original, flat safety.  Grips are set up for that, so if you put a wider, "combat" safety on you'll also have to change the grips. 

Brownells carries 'em, but are out of stock. Cost is $530 for Cerakote, $570 for stainless.  A place called Gunprime (out of Birmingham, AL it seems) has 'em in stock and for $40 less.

I've got no experience with the handgun or the firms mentioned, but just thought others might find it interesting.

Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    At that price point I'd opt for a used Hi Power. The Hi Power is on my list of needed acquisitions when I come across the right deal...
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,538 Senior Member
    I have always wanted a Hi Power.  I do have an Argentine copy, but its not really doing it for me.  Its not a true copy and that may be the issue.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I’ve regretted selling my Argentine almost from the day after I sold it.

Nuts.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,538 Senior Member
    It is not a proper copy.  It looks more like a 1911 than a Hi-Power.  After having a gunsmith that has at least a small clue about working them over, it would reliably feed and not have a completely atrocious trigger.  Needless to say the CZ-75BD sees far more range time than the Argentine FM-90.  
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Mine was a licensed copy from the Argentine armory.  A bunch came in surplus in the early 80s and were good quality but plain-Jane pistols.  Sold mine when I needed money and never replaced it.

Yet.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    The FEG clone of a Hi power is supposed to be close enough for the parts to be interchangeable although I personally don't know anyone who has confirmed this.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,559 Senior Member
    The FEG clone of a Hi power is supposed to be close enough for the parts to be interchangeable although I personally don't know anyone who has confirmed this.
    Depends on thr the model. I have the PJK-9HP and it is pretty much a clone with better sights and safety. The only thing I can tell may be proprietary are the sights.

There is a SA/SA model that is closer to a Smith & Wesson auto as far as the mechanism goes.
    Overkill is underrated.