Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Can Employees Be Legally Terminated For Refusing To Attend Religious Services?

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'm sure most of you know about this.......but the game is still played.

"What many workers don’t realize is that it is unlawful for private sector employers to prohibit employees from discussing wages and compensation, and it has been since the National Labor Relations Act was passed in 1935. (There are exceptions, including for supervisors, agriculture workers and domestic employees.)"

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    I honestly had no intention of opening Pandora's box. I was confused by a couple of prohibited actions on the list. I did a search and found the definitions on the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission site. The first was 'Immigration Status'. Wait! What! Due to the current liberal s**t storm concerning the poor refugees and their imprisoned/abused children my first thought was prohibiting employers from discriminating against illegal aliens. What a perfect Catch-22 when the employers were prohibited by law from hiring them! It turned out to be legal immigrants with a valid Visa/Work permit. The next was 'Genetic Information'. I had no clue. I noticed it went into effect in 2009. So this list keeps growing like affirmative action. A few years ago Oregon added 'Sexual Orientation' to the workplace discrimination list. 'Genetic Information' concerns genetic flaws that could potentially result in future inherited diseases and/or physical disabilities. That sounds like social engineering science fiction to me. Under 'Religion' I found a statement that does not look good for the employer in this discussion.

Religious Discrimination And Employment Policies/Practices

An employee cannot be forced to participate (or not participate) in a religious activity as a condition of employment.

I'm also ready to waste my time somewhere else and just wait and see.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Most of the protections only kick in AFTER being hired. From what I've read and understand about it, the employer made ONE big mistake; he didn't make it clear up front that there was a bible study class lasting one hour, on the clock, and make it understood that it was a condition of employment. And have every employee sign off on that and other work rules. That would have, maybe, stopped this mess before the worker was hired. Failing to adhere to work rules makes firing an employee a little more employer friendly.

Kind of like work uniforms. If you KNOW that you have to wear a uniform at work as a condition of employment, and you refuse to sign that stipulation along with other work rules, then you won't be hired.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams