Home Main Category Hunting

Big Chage for Archery Season: bought a Mathews Triax

13»

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,213 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Gene L said:
    I'm not a compound owner, but I don't see how unstringing a compound bow is going to hep, all other things being OK.  I think it's a matter of string aging or cable degrading rather than the limbs wearing out.  That's just me, though.  Like I said, I haven't owned a compound bow for over 40 years.
    We weren’t talking about un stringing a compound, but restringing it. 
    True...my mind is on traditional bows.  A brain fart.  I used to work in an archery shop, too.  We re-strung compound bows out of necessity of a weak or questionable string or when they had cable problems.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #63
    Yeah, it’s a fundamental necessity to re-string/re-cable a compound bow periodically.  Figuring out when to do so is a subjective artform, but conservative intervals never hurt.

The catch: high quality strings and cables - ones that won’t stretch appreciably, nor require re-timing the bow after a few hundred shots - are pricey.  

Last time I re-strung a bow with Winner’s Choice strings and cables when the factory string wore out, I was out about $120.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Dynaflight?

That’s what Black Widow uses. I plan to keep a spare with the case and/or hunt pack, just because ya never know.
    edited September 2018 #65
    cpj said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Dynaflight?

That’s what Black Widow uses. I plan to keep a spare with the case and/or hunt pack, just because ya never know.
    Something like that. 
    Yeah, the new Flemish twist strings are awesome.  Better durability and better arrow speeds.  However, I found out that some older recurve bows can't use them.  I don't know if they will damage the bow or what, but Black Widow told me that their older bows require prior generation Dacron fiber strings.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,213 Senior Member
    I remember when Fast Flight strings were reputed to break tips of recurves.  I shot mine with FF and they did just fine, although a lot of folks recommended against it.  Still, I never had a problem.  Nowadays, everyone builds up string nocks out of an ounce of prevention.  I have a dacron on my 60s Grizzly.  I'm no longer trying to eke out a mere 3-4 fps.  I've been making Flemish strings for almost 40 years, mostly for looks.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,997 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #67
    Just a little note on the performance of the Matthews Triax my dad took on his deer hunt.  I mentioned in my hunting thread that my dad and a buddy recently returned from a deer hunt.  My dad used his Triax hunting for the first time.  He took one shot on a deer ranged at 70 yards.  Our buddy could see my dad, but not the deer due to a bush between him and the deer my dad was shooting at.  I'm not sure how far away he was from my dad, but close enough to hear the arrow in flight.  He saw my dad shoot, heard the arrow hissing through the air 70 yards to it's target, but never heard the bow fire.  That Triax is a QUIET bow....

Also, my dad said when the arrow hit the ground under the deer's belly, the deer didn't move.  Looked down at the arrow and jumped at the sight of the illuminock glowing under it.  Turned and looked at the arrow again, then calmly hopped over the hill.
    That’s impressive.  Truthfully, I am not surprised to hear that the bow was the stealthy.  It’s absolutely appaling how well vibration-mitigated these Triax bows are.