Home Main Category Clubhouse

3 hours in DFW

CaliFFLCaliFFL Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
Any suggestions for food or beer? 
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Posts: 7,800 Senior Member
    Been there a couple dozen times. It"s all mediocre restaurant food and commercial beer. Think Applebee's and Guiness Stout. I save my hungry for when I get to where I'm going.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    The above advice is for inside the airport itself. If you leave the airport, which given 3 hours I don't recommend, all bets are off. Texas as a whole has amazing food. But airport food is airport food, regardless of how far you've traveled.
    N454casull
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    DWF isn't near anything.  You'll need a taxi to go find something, and 3 hours isn't much time to do that.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I avoid all the airlines that fly into DFW like the plague.  If I have to go to or through Dallas it is through Love Field downtown Dallas.  Same story in Houston, all the other airlines fly into George Bush International, I fly on Southwest into Houston Hobby.  Now if you were going through Hobby with a 3 hour layover, I would have to recommend you stop by Pappadeux's Seafood Kitchen.
    I readily agree with 10canyon on Pappadeaux's. If you're near one and have time, go. Colorado has fifty "Cajun" restaurants, and they all are very poor imitations (read that "suck"), but Pappadeaux's actually gets it right. Here's a hint...jambalaya should be brown. If it's red....you've just been had. Mike
    N454casull
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Food and beer. Doesn't matter what kind as long as it's good and the beer doesn't have "Lite" in the name.

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Posts: 12,247 Senior Member
    There is now a Salt Lick bbq in DFW that is passable.  It ain’t the same as the real salt lick in Driftwood, but it’s better than most of the airport crap.

also, Twisted Root burgers has a location in dfw. Worth finding, good burgers, good local beer selection
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    The best clam chowder I have had anywhere (including New England) is at the Pappadeaux's location in Marietta, GA.  For some reason it is not on the menu at any of the Pappadeaux's locations in the Houston area, which is where the chain is based. confused shrug smiley
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I ended up eating at Dickey's BBQ Pit. Pretty simple... chicken, coleslaw, fried okra and a soda. Spent most of my layover watching Netflix. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod