Home Main Category General Firearms

So I got this tumbler.

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member

It was gifted to me. 
I had some badly mistreated 45 Colt cases that were used for blackpowder loads. I tumbled them for three hours in new walnut media with no polish. I've not used walnut before. I've read some love it, some hate it. Near as I can tell the cases came as clean as they would have in my Cabelas tumbler. No better, no worse. Where this machine excells is it is a whole lot more quiet. It also is built like a tank. The polymer bowl is thick and the lid has a heavy rubber gasket and is attached with a big bolt and wing nut assembly with washers. The springs, motor, and frame are made to handle polishing rocks, so its all heavy duty. I don't know what they retail for, but its for sure a heavy duty, quality machine.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    " Ultra Vibe 18"......sounds like something you'd get in an adult toy.store.....BUT...glad it's working for you....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    I have the same tumbler, dont know when i got it , sometime in the 80s, probably polished 10,000 or more cases, rocks, even filled it with sand to remove rust and corrosion from small parts. Its bomb proof, never had a bit of trouble with it. Amazon has them for $252.00, Cabelas for $214.00 & Brownells for $282.00.

Ya got a good one.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Wow! Thats a lotta money.

Son in law gave it to me after rescuing it from a pile of stuff headed for the trash. Amazing what some outfits toss. This thing had never been used before today.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    You've got a heavy duty machine in that one. It should last a long time. I have one of their rotary bumblers that takes two 'barrel' containers at a time. It's around 40 years old and still going strong. Only thing that needs replacement occasionally is the drive belt, and I found a source for those CHEAP. They're silicone belts that last a lot longer than the rubber ones. I've polished brass, rocks, small parts and all manner of things with it and it does a good job, just takes longer than the vibratory tumblers.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I also bought that same tumble in the late 80's and it still works great and has never given me a reason to buy anything else.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    My midway tumbler was bought about 40 years ago & was still working well but a recall on those came so now I will be getting a new one for free. I also have a 2000 Dillon for larger loads of brass. They are handy for all sorts of things.
    edited July 2018 #8
    I did some 38spl cases. Came out shining like a glass eye. Just figured out the bowl removes.  Has a heavy rubber gasket under it. Way cool!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Nice quality item, for sure.
    Having the brass all nice makes the reload look a lot nicer. Check all the primer pockets because small stuff likes to hide in there until you screw up a primer.
    Those work but I have found they can ream the pocket so I use some stiff wire in a small bundle that fits ti just get the little cruddies out.  Yes cruddies is a technical term . lol
    My wrists aren't wired up like hammered hardened iron from restacking ammo cans so the primer pockets just get a gentle touch.😁
    I am as gentle as dew on a rose petal.
    Hey it could happen !

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I have one as well.  I have never used anything but a Thumblers, so I cannot compare it, but it has cleaned up everything I have put in it, and I use corn cob media.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I too use the cob media it seems to do a brighter shine to softer metals. I have never done wet in one but it probably would be like a sonic cleaner does.
    I ran a bunch of cases in this thing this morning. Put more media and a pinch of polish in it. Ran it for almost 4 hours. Cases came out real clean.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Working with clean brass is so much better than just a wipe with a rag. Better for your dies and you to inspect it too.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!