Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Optimist or Pessimist?

horselipshorselips Senior MemberPosts: 3,628 Senior Member

OPTIMIST: Senator Flake is doing the right thing. He’s setting up the Democrats for an epic fail. He knows the FBI investigation will find nothing and by going through the motions, will remove any objection Republican fence sitters and even a couple of Democrats could have to deny Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation. Just as important, with a clean bill of health from the FBI, the ‘resistance’ will have no grounds to impeach him should the Democrats regain control of Congress.

PESSIMIST: Senator Flake is a ‘never-Trumper,’ and now that he’s on his way out of office, he has nothing to lose if he can take Kavanaugh with him and flip one last defiant bird at the President. Flake knows that time kills enthusiasm, and he believes that this FBI effort will create more questions than it answers, requiring a second or even a third investigation, maybe even a special prosecutor. No nominee can survive such a process.

MY TAKE: You’re both right. No doubt about it, the weakest link in any chain is a RINO and the Senate has more than its share. The GOP majority, as slim as it is, can’t afford more than one. So yes, OPTIMISTS, these wavering, lilly-livered yellow-bellied, fair-weather patriots do need their politically arthritic spines stiffened by any means necessary or available.

However, (and I hate that word), the PESSIMISTS are just as right. Senator Flake’s record of dishonest criticism and opposition to President Trump makes him untrustworthy, practically an honorary member of the Deep State conspiracy. Despite his self-aggrandizing high moral character and conservative ideology, he’s been a colossal pile of political caca-del-toro, high enough and deep enough to bury his career. And it can’t be buried faster and deeper enough.

The media coverage of the Ford-Kavanaugh confrontation has taken “fake news” to new, dizzying heights. Ford’s testimony, while dramatic, was anything but credible except in a generic sense. Her recollection of a sexual offense was indeed moving and delivered with the aplomb that only umpteen rehearsals could assure. Trouble is, nothing she said was evidentiary of Brett Kavanaugh’s involvement or even attendance at the event. And yet the mainstream new media has labelled it convincing, and Kavanaugh’s rebuttal offensive and disrespectful. And they believe her implicitly without even a scintilla of proof. He’s guilty just because survivors must be believed. Sexual McCarthyism, except that Tail-Gunner Joe was right.

NPR this morning described the hearing as unforgettable. You know, like you remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard about Pearl Harbor, the Kennedy assassination, or 911. Kidding me? Uhh, no, the info-babe was serious. Furthermore, Ford has metastasized from a woman to all women. To question her veracity now is to disbelieve and deny justice to every similarly victimized woman. She is them and they are her. Quite the force multiplier. And it worked. It was Flake’s elevator confrontation with a shrieking bimbo eruption, claiming that voting for Kavanaugh meant that she, and   the crime committed against her, didn’t matter, that allegedly motivated his demand for an FBI investigation. Funny though how all these suffering women don’t include any of the victims of Bill Clinton’s raging hormones…and his cigars. They don’t count, they’re not even mentioned.   

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    "The show must go on."
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    "The show must go on."

And it will.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #4
    Well Horse, that has to be the best thing you have written on here to date IMHO. Put what most of us already knew in a better perspective,

Thank you, I enjoyed reading it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,382 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #5
    You know, as eager as I was to see Bill Clinton get torpedoed 20-odd years ago, with all his shady behavior, what it all came down to, and what we all remember is him getting frisky with an intern.

Now we're having this present circus based on possible teenage shenanigans 35 years ago. . .that didn't warrant any follow up by anybody at the time . . .or any urgent action the day the guy got nominated.

In both cases, I've got to shout it from the rooftops "THIS THE BEST WE CAN DO???"  Are the quirks of primate sexuality all we base our politics on??

OPTIMIST: I tend to think, yeah, at this point, the Flake-initiated FBI probe is the next necessary move in this political far-less-intellectual-sport-than-chess-game. . .if indeed it should have gotten anything like this far in the first place.

I dunno. . .there's a right, a left, and a middle.  The left and their media drones will say that the Republicans are the ones about to take the midterm hit here.  I've got to think the middle has to see the Dem's ploy for the obvious bad theater it is.  I cannot think it's the motivator to oust Republicans they are presenting it as - quite the opposite; the leopards have shown their spots.  This upcoming election is a referendum on the left and the media as much as anything else.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I don't lean to the right politically on many issues. I see through this crap like a window. What these power mongering sewer scum slime suckers have done to Doctor Ford and Judge Kavanaugh is shameless. Without a larger press pool willing to editorialize honestly without regard for partisan bias we'll have to endure all of it and hope the polls later reflect an intelligent electorate.