Important Personal Defense reminder !!!

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
I re-learned an important lesson today:

Protect your personal space !!!

I was alone again closing up the service station / gas pumps and this joker rushes up on Me and almost got it, I mean no greeting or hello, just rushes up on Me, and I have My hand in My jacket pocket ready for biddness, and I see he is no threat, just a trucker needing directions to the major truck stop not far from Me, so as miffed as I was at this point, I gave him directions, and not to hell as I really wanted.

Don't let folks rush up on you like some silly dog, firmly ask them to "STOP !!!" esp if you are alone in a deserted environment, I did not let folks rush up on Me when I was a LEO, no reason to start now.

Second reminder, It is possible to carry something in hand to cause a distraction, keys or a fake wallet etc...
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,891 Senior Member
    Good advice, it happens so easy.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Thanks for the good advice, doc, it's always good to be vigilant. We can't always keep them at distance but if we're alert we can be okay mostly.

Last year, I was getting gas at a fairly busy station, girlfriend was with me, and I spotted this guy coming from a ways off but he focused on us -- probably that I was older and grey hair, and a small female with him, an easy mark.

Guy was pretty rough looking and not like an old panhandler. As you advise, I try to always keep my eyes open and as the guy approached, I had my hand in my pocket, holding my KelTec grip. When the guy got closer, I slid the pistol about halfway out of my pocket and just told the guy "No!", and he steered away, faster, and was soon gone down the street.

So yeah, it pays to be ready and watchful. Thanks for the good advice.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • johnnybjohnnyb New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    Good reminder Doc.
    A little side note. A loaded gas nozzle is a decent defensive weapon if you do get surprised at the pump. A good shot of 87 octane in the face is a pretty good deterrent.
    NRA Endowment Member
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    My fuel delivery guy told Me about that one.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996