Home Main Category General Firearms

Took the plunge on an AR pistol

MichakavMichakav Senior MemberSouthwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
edited October 2018 in General Firearms #1
Just HAD to purchase this kit from PSA...lol...Already have a couple stripped lowers.Never had an interest before the ATF letter saying it was legal (currently) to shoulder the brace (occasionally). Looking for suggestions on slings and sling setup. With pics if possible.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-classic-shockwave-pistol-kit-black-5165449130.html

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,229 Senior Member
    I had to go with an 8.5" to meet the state requirement for overall length to be classified as a pistol. Turned out to be a darned handy package.
    At the outset I will state that I HATE single point slings, but on this particular firearm, it works nicely...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,461 Senior Member
    I find my AR pistol to be quite handy.
    With the KAK brace and 10 5 barrel it aims easily and is much more accurate than I thought. Have fun with yours
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    10.5" on my 5.56 pistol, great choice. That should be a fun project.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    With the KAK brace and 10 5 barrel it aims easily and is much more accurate than I thought. Have fun with yours

You have a sling on it?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,461 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    Diver43 said:

You have a sling on it?
    No sling. Have a single point, but mine lives in a backpack in the car. Only comes out for range time or if needed. The sling is in the bag if ever needed.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Jayhawker said:
    I had to go with an 8.5" to meet the state requirement for overall length to be classified as a pistol. Turned out to be a darned handy package.
    At the outset I will state that I HATE single point slings, but on this particular firearm, it works nicely...

Too much trouble for a pic? 
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member North CarolinaPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Best thing I ever added to mine was a SBA3 adjustable brace. They’ve come down from stupid priced to somewhat affordable (I picked mine up on sale for $109.99 but it does include a compatible buffer tube also) if you shop around. Second best thing was a Law Folding Adapter but it wasn’t cheap but it’s price is dropping also ... I saw Optics Planet had them on sale for $240. While some LEOs in NC will argue it does fall under our CHP I do carry it as a truck gun sometimes ... except in SC because their CHP has a specific length limit on CHP handguns (must be under 12” in length) and there may be other states with limits but I am not up on any others. You’re going to enjoy it for fun and actually it is very usable ... with a little red dot sight a 6” gong at 100 yards is pretty easy. Have at it!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,930 Senior Member
    How do you get the letter? That's what's on my pistol.

How do you get the letter? That's what's on my pistol.

Go to the manufacturers website...should be a downloadable copy there. I keep a copy of the letter and mu MI pistol registration in a Ziploc bag in the compartment in the grip...
    Michakav said:
    Jayhawker said:

Too much trouble for a pic? 
    Had to drive South for my granddaughters 2nd birthday....I'll post a pic for you in the morning...
    edited October 2018 #12
    Here you go.
    8.5" upper
    Yankee Hill Phantom flash hider/comp...compatible with the YHM suppressor
    Vortex SPARC II red dot co-witnessed with MAGPUL BUIS.
    MAGPUL MOE grip
    PROTEC weapon light
    25" overall

Make of sling?
    UTG single point...$20.00 or less.
    Doesn't see a lot of use but it's in the case if I need it...