Home Main Category Clubhouse

Mole destruction for good.

1hogfan831hogfan83 MemberPosts: 342 Member
I have at least one mole in my back yard who has set up camp and decided to destroy the back section, 50'x50' southwest of my house.  I have set traps, used juicy fruit, but so far the only thing that works is grub killer, only for about 3 months and then they're back.  Any ideas for a permanent solution? 
"Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
"You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    A lawn aerator with 3"-4" spikes and weighted to drive them down in the ground the full depth works pretty good. Do the whole section of yard, too. That will give you a good idea where the new mole excavations are at. The grub killer works because the moles eat the grubs; no grubs, no moles.
    Here's a google search. Pick your pizen! :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=lawn+aerator&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=-j7e1YncCu-m2M%3A%2C-O5U3jYr64ZwnM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kQ3PE9pf11Bdlkb5-qqaH-t_s8XQw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOjrXD7JXeAhXopVkKHdEEAoMQ9QEwGnoECAEQBA#imgrc=_

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 342 Member
    I've heard of people using a yard roller and then you can see where the new tracks are.  One guy said he went out and started shooting moles with his buckmark LMAO.  I don't think the neighborhood would care for me peppering the ground with birdshot from my daughter's tree house at 6am.  I'm really starting to feel like Wiley Coyote. 
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Pellet gun.  Mole eradication and target practice at the same time.
    I had a beagle a long time ago that loved to hunt moles and dig them up. He was a biological moleinator. He Loved to sniff 'em out, dig 'em up, and shake them until they were dead. The neighbor's cat got fat off the moles he left lying in the yard. He sucked at rabbit hunting, but I bet he could have sniffed out a mole in a hurricane. Rat terrier might be the ticket for mole eradication.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,203 Senior Member
    Get a German Shepherd. They'll dig the entire yard up going after gophers and moles. We had a pair of them when I was a kid - they literally DESTROYED the yard, they dug caves so big they'd sleep in them!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,872 Senior Member
    mole away granules  
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,872 Senior Member
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    The best way I have found to get rid of moles is to spray the yard with something that will get rid of the worms and grubs. I do it every spring and then again in the summer and I don't have a mole problem. They all left and went to my neighbors yard. Then there is my 84 year old M.I.L. method..............She sets out in the yard in a chair around 10 to 11 in the morning. She stays real still and she will see the run move. That's when she takes her ole trusty double barrel 16 gauge shotgun and blows a hole where the run is moving. B). No telling how many she has killed that way.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,335 Senior Member
    Kill what they eat and they will move on. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,339 Senior Member
    You guys are working way too hard
    I give you the Rodenator

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I got a scissor trap from tractor supply but I swear their are runs all around it!  My neighbor uses his trap, same one and everything and kills about 10 per season.  I have a yorkie but she's about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.  I thought terrieriers were supposed to kill the little ****.  I have heard bassetts and beagles love to hunt them.  Does anyone know how fast they breed?  I'll pay bounty on each scalp or rent your dog!  It's like caddy shack around here. 
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #14
    To get rid of gophers I've always used snail pellets. One dose in their mounds has always done them in for me.  I figure it might work for moles too.  The down side is that dogs like it too, so they need to be keep out of the treated areas until it's soaked deep into the ground.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,307 Senior Member
    If you have one of these guys

Use a propane gun

That's what happens around here,

... at least until the Sheriff department shows up  :D

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited October 2018 #16
    I always put my seven brand insect killer out before at least 75% chance of rain the next day.  That helps get it in the ground since it's a kill on contact only.  It works no doubt but I tired of putting it out every season.  Both my and my wife's vehicles are too new to gas them out, the fumes aren't poisonous enough.  Now, if someone would happen to have an old Nova or Camaro. 
    Old push mower. Take off the muffler and replace with proper sized pipe fitting nipple, about 18 inches long. Screw a Tee fitting on that, then another pipe nipple about 6 inches long. Get some flexible steel wire conduit that will fit over the pipe nipple for a flexible exhaust pipe; about three feet will work. On the Tee fitting you will need a 18 inch pipe with a cap.

Stick flex steel conduit in mole run. and stomp down dirt around it. Start motor. Dribble some old motor oil in the capped fitting and replace cap. Let the motor run, and add oil to make more smoke. Moles will either bail out, or asphyxiate. Works on groundhogs and other burrowing rodents like rats and gophers, too.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I may try that.  Do you think I could drown them out? 
    You might be able to drown them, or at least get them to come up above ground. A frog gig would be handy to have on hand if they decide to come up on the surface. Gig 'em and fling 'em! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
    I did catch one above ground and killed it with a spade shovel.  It was just wiggling, I hadn't tried to get it out of his hole.