Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Megan Kelly getting fired, I don't get it but I do

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,297 Senior Member
I rarely if ever come to the dark side of the forum.  I have to say, I'm not really a Megan Kelly fan, but I've read her quote that got her fired a dozen times.  I've talked to a few folks about it and I/we can't or don't see any racism in it, other than the millennial having a feeling hurt.

Her quote: "But what is racist?" she asked. "You truly do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface at Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. That was OK when I was a kid, as long as you were dressing like a character."

She frames it with "But what is racist"!  What am I missing, other than NBC was looking for a reason to get rid of her!

Am I truly not seeing it?
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    She really didn't draw the audience that NBC thought she'd bring with her from FOX. Her first show was a washout, and the one she was doing now wasn't doing really well. NBC probably wanted to get shed of her, and this presented the perfect opportunity to do it.

Regarding your underlying question that wasn't spoken but inferred, I only have one thing to say about that. It's really hard to talk about race, race relations, and racism if you can't talk about the hard stuff, the stuff that has some extreme emotions attached. If even broaching the subject draws emotional outbursts and hatred, then it would appear we've wiped out around 60 years of progress in race relations.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Nobody watches her show. They need the air time for something else. Popular social persecution to the rescue.

Witch hunt elevates, witch hunt dethrones. Long live the witch hunt.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    NBC paid her to get her out of a show that was kicking their butts in prime time, and may have even thought that she would pull some viewers with her. But, they restricted her from doing or saying any of the things that made her popular on Fox, so she had to fail, unless she just sold out totally to the leftist cause.

Her tiff with Donald Trump got her a lot of attention, and she took advantage of it to cash in with a big contract - exactly what any smart lawyer would have done. She can now sit back and enjoy her millions, and either retire or parlay the controversy into something else that might be successful, maybe as a traveling speaker, or maybe even something else on Fox.
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 108 Member
    An honest discussion about race is no longer possible.  If you simply recognize that their are differences between races, cultures, genders, religions...without rancor or without any motive other than learning or an honest dialogue...then you are a racist if you happen to be white.

The white person of western european heritage is the only acceptable target of discussion, regardless of how much derision, abject racism, and hatred is involved.

If I were to say "Based upon my experience, many people who happen to be _______ like basketball, and often seem to excel far beyond my ability"...then the immediate knee jerk reaction would be that I am a racist, regardless of the veracity of the statement.

However...if someone who happens to be ______ were to say "White people suck at basketball" then go on to call whites crackers, or whatever...then assumption is that because they are _____ there is no way they can be racist.  

It's cultural predispositioning at its worst.

What Megyn Kelly said was true, and she was really only seeking clarification of a new paradigm.
    ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,453 Senior Member
    I love her.  She's an excellent and tough interviewer and wish Fox would hire her back.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,297 Senior Member
    Megan was the darling of conservatives and she burned that bridge.  NBC thought that would make her the darling of the scorned, angry "feminists" that make up their main daytime demographic.  Unfortunately those women only like angry, unattractive females like Whoopi and the rest of the hags on the view.  They can not identify with attractive and smart.  So no joy there.

She is now a woman without a country.  This was just an excuse and leverage to terminate her contract under better terms for the network.
    That's exactly what my buddy was saying this morning.  She's radioactive and I doubt any network is going to bring her aboard and pay her anywhere close to what Fox and NBC were paying her.

I liked her on Fox but the way she bailed and left put a bad taste in everyone's mouth.  She never fit in at NBC and didn't bring the Fox viewers or ratings with her.  She needs to wait a while and let the dust settle which may be many years!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member

I liked her on Fox but the way she bailed and left put a bad taste in everyone's mouth.  She never fit in at NBC and didn't bring the Fox viewers or ratings with her.  She needs to wait a while and let the dust settle which may be many years!
    I liked her before she became a 'superstar,' but much less after she became confident enough to strut her feminist stuff, which made her less objective and more of a controversy seeker. She was still OK, but I always questioned her motives after she embraced the fame. I have not seen her once, since then.

Still, if she would re-acquire some humility, I would give her a chance. She's very pretty, and very intelligent, but she has lost a lot of credibility with me, as a political and social commentator. If she is just going to be another 'hired gun,' I can do without her altogether.
    She was a failed corporate lawyer that appears to have taken up journalism, and will possibly take up shoe making before becoming a ditch digger. (Borrowed liberally from Mark Twain.)
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,326 Senior Member
    I don't watch news babble whether it's right or left. Sooooo, I don't care. Maybe Hooters will hire her!!
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    I rarely if ever come to the dark side of the forum.  I have to say, I'm not really a Megan Kelly fan, but I've read her quote that got her fired a dozen times.  I've talked to a few folks about it and I/we can't or don't see any racism in it, other than the millennial having a feeling hurt.

Her quote: "But what is racist?" she asked. "You truly do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface at Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. That was OK when I was a kid, as long as you were dressing like a character."

She frames it with "But what is racist"!  What am I missing, other than NBC was looking for a reason to get rid of her!

Am I truly not seeing it?
    I see nothing wrong with her quote. I do find it very disturbing that baseball has been replaced by being offended as our national pastime.

Being offended and stubbing one's toe have something in common. Nobody besides the one that stubbed their toe or is offended cares. And everybody else that doesn't care will make jokes about it, too.

This covers what I think about the offended folk.

― Douglas Adams