Home Main Category Hunting

Muley Buck

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 8,525 Senior Member
My new 7mm Dakota finally drew blood earlier in the month on a management mule deer.  Shot was under 200 yards, from a double kneeling position using Bog Gear with their now discontinued PSR Top.  175 ELD-X put the buck down in less than 40 yards from the shot (which has been kind of the same thing happens every time-so far).  I quartered the buck in the field, so I do not have an autopsy report like some give here in great detail.  Enjoyable day for sure.  This XP shoots stupid good.
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Wow Ernie!
    You're off to one heck of a start.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    That's a damned fine deer for a management buck.  Bravo!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    Why was he a management buck?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #5
    I REALLY need someone to do a freaking autopsy on an ELD-X bullet!!

I keep reading considerably conflicting reports on their results.  But nobody has proof/data either way. I need evidence!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I keep reading considerably conflicting reports on their results.  But nobody has proof/data either way. I need evidence!!
    Sorry man.
    3 cow elk, 1 bull elk, and the muley buck... all down in under 40-50 yards.  Some were shoulder shots, other behind the shoulder.  I know this is not what you are looking for.  Another guy using the 7mm 162 ELD-X is having luck with elk, antelope and whitetail so far. 
    I know this is not what you are looking for. 
    From what I have seen so far, they are a little stronger/stouter than a A-Max, but not hold together as say a Accubond would.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:
    Why was he a management buck?
    Because he was not wide.  He is high though.  All of his hunters scoffed at this buck.  They are looking for 28-31 inch spreads.  The rancher wanted him out of the breeding pool.  I was happy to go after him.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:

So far I am pleased with this bullet (Only 5 kills with it).
    Just buy yourself some bullets and satisfy yourself.
    So far I am not agreeing with the detractors at least with 175's and 162's in 7mm.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,982 Senior Member
    edited October 2018 #9
    THAT is a management buck? Man, some paid hunters are really stupid. Those deep rear forks will score better then a wide buck with little crab claws, but so many hunters get stuck on width alone. 

That buck is tall, good mass all the way out to the tips, ivory points, fairly symmetrical...fantastic. Well, their loss is your gain!!

The 2 deer I shot with the ELD-X did die, but both ran a good 100 yards with no real blood trail to find. Granted, I shot them fairly close (both about 100 yards, maybe 150 on the 2nd) so they got hit with the bullet going pretty fast. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,138 Senior Member
    Nicely done Ernie...VERY respectable buck...definitely a shooter in my world...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Call it what you want, but that's a nice buck!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

THAT is a management buck? Man, some paid hunters are really stupid. Those deep rear forks will score better then a wide buck with little crab claws, but so many hunters get stuck on width alone. 

That buck is tall, good mass all the way out to the tips, ivory points, fairly symmetrical...fantastic. Well, their loss is your gain!!

The 2 deer I shot with the ELD-X did die, but both ran a good 100 yards with no real blood trail to find. Granted, I shot them fairly close (both about 100 yards, maybe 150 on the 2nd) so they got hit with the bullet going pretty fast. 
    Where did you hit each of them?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Jayhawker said:
    Nicely done Ernie...VERY respectable buck...definitely a shooter in my world...
    I agree with you.  I'm a happy camper.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Beautiful looking animal Ernie.
    If our firearms laws over here were different I would have at least a couple of 'short' guns... :'(
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,982 Senior Member

Where did you hit each of them?
    One shoulder one behind shoulder
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    Very nice management buck.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,282 Senior Member
    I would shoot that buck all day every day, very nice, I hope he tastes as good as he looks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,186 Senior Member
    Wow. It may not be wide. But that is one heck of a rack in my book. Congratulations 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Good buck! Good shot! Quite the ‘management buck’?
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Management buck?!?!  I’d like to see some of the trophy one 😱
    That is one good looking animal.  Congratulations!
    Wider and heavier 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Very nice mulie! Looks like that pistol and rest served you well. I'd take that buck any day!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited November 2018 #22

To me that's a fantastic deer. As is said down south, "It don't get no better 'n that!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.