Home Main Category Hunting

Great hunting week

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 356 Member
I had a horrible week last week. My back seized up very badly and I couldn't move in a couple of day until I got very strong pain killers from the doctor.
Last thursday I just wanted to get out of the house as my back was considerably better. Although I had to cheat by using the blind. Anyways, I managed to shoot a nice doe to fill our freezer. Fifth deer of the season.

Our moose hunting has been miserable so far with out hunting club. Today looked no better in the beginning. On our last drive of the day things got better. Excellent for me.

I was by the side of a beautiful field and the sun was already lost it's best shine as the days are rapidly getting shorter here. Then I noticed to bull moose running towards me. I shot the first runner into chest and started to look if it needed another round. After about 30 yards run it started to lose speed and slightly wobble. It still managed to run about 50 yards until it fell. Then the other bull took turn to the right which took it past me from the distance of 60 yards. On full throttle.
I sent a round to it's broadside and the bull fell down instantly. My first 10 spiker. It took about 20 seconds to shoot two bull moose. I felt so lucky.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I hope you didn't rehurt your back processing all that moose meat. Good shooting! Best twenty seconds I can remember reading.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member
    Do you do anything with your hides? You have more than enough to make coats and gloves, we had a place in MN that would store them for you until you had enough material to make what you wanted, I think the new owner could not make a go of it though.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 356 Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Do you do anything with your hides? You have more than enough to make coats and gloves, we had a place in MN that would store them for you until you had enough material to make what you wanted, I think the new owner could not make a go of it though.
    No. There's no economical way to use moose hides today. About 30-40 years ago hunters used to use the hides for jackets or something but not anymore.
    -William Blake-
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,286 Senior Member
    That's too bad, that is a lot of potential cool gloves and coats right there.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Glad you hung in there and was able to.
    Very happy for you.
    E
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I had a horrible week last week. My back seized up very badly and I couldn't move in a couple of day until I got very strong pain killers from the doctor.
    Last thursday I just wanted to get out of the house as my back was considerably better. Although I had to cheat by using the blind. Anyways, I managed to shoot a nice doe to fill our freezer. Fifth deer of the season.

Our moose hunting has been miserable so far with out hunting club. Today looked no better in the beginning. On our last drive of the day things got better. Excellent for me.

I was by the side of a beautiful field and the sun was already lost it's best shine as the days are rapidly getting shorter here. Then I noticed to bull moose running towards me. I shot the first runner into chest and started to look if it needed another round. After about 30 yards run it started to lose speed and slightly wobble. It still managed to run about 50 yards until it fell. Then the other bull took turn to the right which took it past me from the distance of 60 yards. On full throttle.
    I sent a round to it's broadside and the bull fell down instantly. My first 10 spiker. It took about 20 seconds to shoot two bull moose. I felt so lucky.

Congrats Turdus, you be suckin' big time buddy!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Nice job!  That’s some serious meat.  How much do you get off of bulls that size?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 356 Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Nice job!  That’s some serious meat.  How much do you get off of bulls that size?
    I don't know how much we got out of them. But the bigger's dressed weight before cutting w/out head or anything was 451lbs and the smaller was 375lbs. 
    It was shared between the members of our moose hunting club.
    -William Blake-
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    Great job, Congratulations 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5